Ideas for improving the site? Notice any problems? Please report them here.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rouge posters / Spammers

Post by Zamani »

These spammers are probably turning people off.... actually maybe turning some on... hehe

We really need to tackle this issue. I've banned a few already, but there is no way this is going to stop.

My suggestion is, in addition to the graphical letters,why not (as per Mike Harris' idea, ask a basic transaxle question. The question SHOULD NOT be multiple choice because then eventually spammers will find the answer.

The question should be something like:

Transxle cars have ______ mounted rear calipers .

Then the registration will be subject to administrative review.

This sounds like a lot of work, but I think it will be less work than banning spammers and deleting posts. I mean it's not like this is a Honda forum where 100 people a day wanna register.

What do you guys think?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Anything!!! Ill even help..gimme deleting powers and Ill help..anything..!!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Transaxle cars have a ----------------- mounted gearbox..
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

Henry Ford once said " when you see an alfa drive by, take your hat off and _ _ _ _ _ _".
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

So, I installed a nice code MOD which looks like it might solve the problem of the damn spammers once and for all! In addition, Zamani and I will not need to scrutinize each application and accounts will be immediately created.

Log out from your session, then click "Register".
See the new Antibot addition?
You have to reply, in English (not multiple choice) to the question:

"What type of Alfa Romeo is illustrated in the picture below?"

An admin can enter several responses considered valid (like 'gtv', 'gtv6' or, in this case ' the best gtv6' :lol:)

Certainly a spambot would not be able to come up with the correct reply but I need your help to create many more questions which someone who knows Alfas will know the response to, but spammers (who might be manually registering) will struggle with (and move on to another forum).

Send me your questions with answers (and images) via email (michael@gtv6.com) and I'll add them so we can have a good collection of questions for new registrants (each new registration attempt will cause one random question to be posed - I just added this one easy one to test with).

Note that the questions cannot be too difficult else newbie’s will not be able to answer and will be excluded from the forum (with we don’t want!).

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Nice one Mike..what car is that btw?? :D :D
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Just a thought :shock: , but how about making the first topic a bogus one, one that we don't use? It seems that the spammers always (unless I'm missing something ) put their garbage in the first topic (performance) that we all like to read....put performance in the #2 slot and use the #1 slot for the spam (call it wht you will) so that we don't run into the spam while trying to go faster :) .

Scott
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Well,hopefully this will now stop or at least limit the amount of spammers here..so there should not be a neccesity for a seprate box. love the way the sex adds go into the "performance "section.. :wink:
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Patzo....What's the answer???
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I know the rest of it x-rad..

Henry Ford once said " when you see an alfa drive by, take your hat off and walk into the nearest showroom and lay the hammer down on that Thunderbird"

I'm absolutely positive about that. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

MD wrote:I know the rest of it x-rad..

Henry Ford once said " when you see an alfa drive by, take your hat off and walk into the nearest showroom and lay the hammer down on that Thunderbird"

I'm absolutely positive about that. :D
Hahahahahahaahahah!!!!! Damn,thats good.... :D :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

salute. he said take your hat off and salute. he was so impressed with the alfas at the time. now come on md why would someone wana lay down the hammer on a thunderbird, have you seen the size of those things you could park 4 alfas in the front seats alone and still have room for the spare gas you need to carry around in the rear. ok heres another one, dunno if it is entirely true or not but heard it from someone who used to work at the factory back in the day....when enzo ferrari left alfa and set up on his own he said...."it felt as if i was killing my mother"...obviusly it woulve sounded much more poetic in italian but thats basically among other things the jist of what he said. and by the way that quote from henry ford...its in a few car history books as well if you search you will find it so if you ever need a good comeback in an argument its always a good one to come back with especially if the guy your arguing with drives a ford.
:D :D :D
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

MD: I love it!

I am in the heart of Ford country (Detroit) and I hardly ever see cool old foreign cars!! American cars have power. But, with few exceptions, they have no soul........This is just a fact of mass production, lack of artistic design, and poor construction and construction materials. There is just no beauty in a stamped steel valve cover....

Some of my exceptions GT-40, Viper, some corvettes, etc..

This whole city is set up like one big piece of graph paper(a 30 x 30 mile grid which continues well into the suburbs, and beyond..) with all the people going to work like cogs on an assembly line....no wonder designers can't think outside the boxes!
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks x-rad. I see you need a mamogram of the cranium too. :D

patzo don't be too concerned. I knew the answer like most Alfa lovers know the answer. It's just my bent sense of humour. OK?

We all get so intense about our cars we often do not leave enough room in our thinking to actually enjoy the moment. I like to inject a bit of the ridiculous just to help you (and me ) do that.

If you think some of my humour is funny when you're reading it, you should see the cack I'm going through when I'm typing it !!

Take it squeezy. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

yeh we are all the same we get so involved in our cars its not even funny. lol i actually do enjoy your humour and you should see the cack i go through when im reading it. lol i guess we are all in the same boat. i like to call it 'romeo's ark'.

cheers big ears! :D
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie