Ideas for improving the site? Notice any problems? Please report them here.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Does it seem like this site is dying to anyone else?

Post by Greg Gordon »

Like the title says, is it just me, or does it seem like this site is dying off? I check it everyday, and there are very few new posts. Sometimes the only new posts are from spammers. It's probably my favorite site, but not much is happening here.

There hasn't been anything new in "our cars", "gallery", "technical" or a number of other places in several years.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Does it seem like this site is dying to anyone else?

Post by MALDI »

I think the board owner has lost interest in maintaining it, especially the 'fixed' contents not the BB contents. Absolutely no offense to Michael intended, he's done more for transaxle Alfas than I ever have and his 24v 3L car is awesome!

Perhaps he would allow someone else either 1) assist him in updating it, or 2) take it over full time. It would be nice to have an updated "technical" section that summarizes how to make common upgrades.

Sooo, how about a marriage between http://www.alfagtv6.com and http://www.hiperformacestore.com? One is a great BB and the other has the best technical how-to section for transaxle Alfas.

Just some thoughts, not trying to cause a flame war :wall:
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Well, I have a bunch of pictures from the V6 into the Giulie over here, it's just that the job has taken a toll on free time and I need at least 2 or 3 days to get the engine in, plus i'm waiting for a starter from the U.S.

The Giulie is getting quite a few upgrades, TS gearbox with gearbox mounts with bushings as someone posted over here, slip jointed driveshaft, gotech...too much to do and little time to be honest, but i'm getting there!

:twisted:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I am certainly not trying to start a flame war. This is my favorite site, but I honestly feel it's fading. It's not a lack in interest in these cars because the GTV6 and Milano sections of the other forum are going strong.

Looking at the last new posts since I logged in, we have eight new spam threads, mostly related to golf. In the same amount of time we have had only two real threads with updates, and one of those is this one, and the other is about tires.

I am currently resurrecting my first GTV6, it's a 1985 car and it's been out of action for several years acting as a jig for supercharger kits. Perhaps I will start a thread documenting its return.

Greg
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
http://www.okinjectors.com
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I'm reading , but not talking (writing) much. Got mine going now.

Seems we get lulls on here every once in a while, dunno why.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

This forum has a bit of a private club feel to it with a dozen or so posters setting the tone. When those posters have nothing to say it gets pretty quiet around here. Since the top posters are into heavy mods of their cars it can feel awkward to post a newby question. That's why a comprehensive technical section on common upgrades may bring in more BB traffic. New posters can read those and feel less intimidated in asking questions.

The AlfaBB has gotten pretty nasty of late with a few posters acting inappropriately including veiled threats of physical violence.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I think world recession has a lot to do with it and got nothing to do with site. Most people dont have the spare cash they used to have so this also leads to fewer projects.
Our alfa racing series here in SA has got so depleted that we are having emergency committee meetings to prevent it from falling apart. We still have thirty entrants on our books but when an engine breaks it takes longer to fix , so are looking at other measures.

Having said all that , they are atleast five new gtv projects on the go here. These guys have not heard about the word recession. New builds here include 3.8 brera motor in 116 gtv, three x 3.7 litre gtv conversions, some beautiful gtv3.0 l carb restoration projects, and a new twin turbo 24v into 155 bolted the correct way in the front with dedion in rear.

I think we need to start a new thread to see who is browsing and just to say hi and whats statusof their transaxle. Give it kick start
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

This site is old, the cars are old and the people are getting old too. :lol:

I first joined this site after meeting Mike in 1996 or so.

The number of people calling it quits due to the economic situation is also going up. I even saw JK selling his big runners. What does that mean? His 12V V6 days are done? And there are lots of other people no longer on this site. You guys remember Marcel? Lane Louie? And the list goes on.

Also this site is very specific, catering towards the very hardcore transaxle owner with a strong bias towards modification. So very few people (from an already small pool of people) belong to this group.

So don't be surprised if the occasional tumble weed blows through :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Well for us over here it's not much the recession but the freaking 100% plus import tax that makes our project go slow (plus lack of time from high season flying...), the bastards not only tax you on the good's price but also on shipping and insurance....
And if you bring any used car parts (engine for example) you don't pay for what it was actually worth but they set a price based on what they want (a guy just payed tax on a BMW v8 engine based on a 3500 dollars price tag even though he paid 1600 dollars for it)
But it's getting there, this year is getting going better, I promise some more pics later this week, also have a 1961 Giulietta on restoration, but that is going really slow...

Greg, i'm really looking forward to your Gtv6 resurrection thread, supercharged I suppose?? :twisted:
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Zamani wrote:This site is old, the cars are old and the people are getting old too. :lol:
:shock: :lol:

Just this Friday a girl at work guessed I was 26, I'm 35... 8)

On a serious note, I've got a new job, finally found a company I believe in so much I went from contractor to staff. Now, recession you say? We have grown 100% in three months and are looking to build a new headquarter plus TWO test facilities. I have logged over 200 hours per months the last three months and the last one peaked at 230 hours. Also, I have a one hour drive to work...

So not much time for the Alfetta GTV, sadly.
It's the universal time/money paradox. You have one but not the other at any given point in life. :roll:

With that said, off to the garage to change to summer tires on the commuter car and do some work on the cambelt change on the 155...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Mats, agree with you on the time thing. We seem to be working much harder and longer hours as technology just follows us wherever we go(blackberry,ipad, iphone).
I cant hide anymore under my car as my gps on phone gives me away :oops:
Mats , this girl at work was she commenting on your mental age or physical age :wall:
Just kidding at atleast we not as old md or jk.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Haha, my looks. My boyish looks... :lol:

You mean you can't turn the GPS off on your phone? Must be a sucky phone, get a new one!
Lucky for me, I have a work phone and a private one, I just turn off the ringer and leave it at home when I'm not working, no email replication neither. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Zamani wrote:This site is old, the cars are old and the people are getting old too. :lol:

I first joined this site after meeting Mike in 1996 or so.

The number of people calling it quits due to the economic situation is also going up. I even saw JK selling his big runners. What does that mean? His 12V V6 days are done? And there are lots of other people no longer on this site. You guys remember Marcel? Lane Louie? And the list goes on.

Also this site is very specific, catering towards the very hardcore transaxle owner with a strong bias towards modification. So very few people (from an already small pool of people) belong to this group.

So don't be surprised if the occasional tumble weed blows through :mrgreen:
Jeez, I can't remember when I signed up for the old GTV6.org, but it was a while ago. I look back at some of the shit i posted back in those days and shudder - fuck I was a dickhead back then, and I suspect in the past my attitude has resulted some people leaving the forum...

Anyway, there's been plenty of guys trickle out of the forum - and there's plenty of damage being done to the scene by the John GTA/Barry and JJ/Rich Jemison fighting - I know people who just don't go on the Alfabb anymore because of the JJ/RJ fighting. Anyone remember GarthDB? Moved to melbourne and just dissapeared.
Anyone remember the Italian guy with the 75 Turbo on the Alfa Digest? Used to have a website about the car and his Bike (Modified Suzuki RF900)... he appears to have completely dissapeared from the face of the earth.

I know I haven't been posting much because I'm trying to get some non transaxle projects finished and done to clear the decks for a proper transaxle/V6 project (and get my finances back in order and save for a europe trip later in the year), but I still log in for a look every day.
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

kevin wrote:M
Just kidding at atleast we not as old md or jk.

Haha, any truth that JK and MD are not on speaking terms because they are both after Santa's position after their retirement (round the corner) :mrgreen: :wall:
Dr. Alban
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

la_strega_nera wrote:

Anyway, there's been plenty of guys trickle out of the forum - and there's plenty of damage being done to the scene by the John GTA/Barry and JJ/Rich Jemison fighting - I know people who just don't go on the Alfabb anymore because of the JJ/RJ fighting. Anyone remember GarthDB? Moved to melbourne and just dissapeared.
Anyone remember the Italian guy with the 75 Turbo on the Alfa Digest? Used to have a website about the car and his Bike (Modified Suzuki RF900)... he appears to have completely dissapeared from the face of the earth.
The JJ/RJ thing is definetly one of the things that made me leave the alfaBB, that and the obvious moneymaking thing.

The italian guy, Luca right? I was actually on my way to visit him once when I was in Italy but in the end I couldn't get a hold of him when I was there. Too bad.
I remember the Yngwie Malmsten MIDI music on his website, epic. :D
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!