Ideas for improving the site? Notice any problems? Please report them here.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Does it seem like this site is dying to anyone else?

Post by kevin »

John in Albq, why dont you start new the Thread "pictures of our cars 2011" for all our alfas as most cant remenber whos got what and whats been sold. Your idea would definatly start some enthusiasm. Pics include any alfa . (no porsches, ferris, volvos etc)
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Greg Gordon wrote:Like the title says, is it just me, or does it seem like this site is dying off? I check it everyday, and there are very few new posts. Sometimes the only new posts are from spammers. It's probably my favorite site, but not much is happening here.
I cannot disagree with this - and it makes sense given that the number of people interested in this very specific topic (and the number of cars/parts available) is dwindling daily.
With that said, I am keen to extend the life of this site as long as possible. Most of the 'regulars' who visit this site have invested years of interest/energy into this Site, and it is mainly for this reason that I have not pulled the plug on the entire thing. I think the amount of work even to maintain a Site like this is often underestimated - even with only a few hundred subscribers, there is lots of Admin work to do and we are constantly fighting off spammers etc. Thanks again for Zamani for doing so much of this work - I think this Site would have died off long ago without his involvement. If you had told me 16 yeats ago that I'd still be maintaining this Site in 2011, I would have had 2nd thoughts about undertaking it :-)
Way Back Machine - gtv6.org in 1997
Greg Gordon wrote:There hasn't been anything new in "our cars", "gallery", "technical" or a number of other places in several years.
When I started the site - I think it was on Geocities in 1995, the concept of a Web Forum was quite new. Back then, most communications for Alfa fans was via an email ListServe. The material I added to the web site was basically a persisting record of the material I gleaned from the list serve, and also from working on my own car. Once the Web forums became common place, I had the feeling that the material on the main Site was only useful as a historical reference - so basically the Forum subsumed the root Site. Its up to you guys (and Zamani, and me) to supply the content now - I think this is a more egalitarian proposition.

So basically its up to all of us now - post material on this Site if you don't want to see it die! For my part, I promise to post about my project - its still underway...
Michael
1981 GTV6
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I am not one of the original pioneers on this site but if you counted all my grey hairs you would swear that I am.. :D BTW Most of those grey hairs come from worrying about what kaos JK is going to come up with next . :D :D Hotting up Alfa books indeed !!

My diagnosis of the site is that it has a reputation as being one of the most technical Alfa forums on transaxles. Anyone who wants to restore, rebuild, improve or indeed go to full on racing these vehicles either becomes a visitor for reference material or an actual member and makes some contributions of their own.

Naturally we have shared so much material over the years that most of the members here are pretty much up to speed with these cars which can be attributed to the activities and information of this site. The depth of detail information be it links to suppliers or information on short cuts or modifications can all be found here.

Personally and with the help of some fellow looney tune members I have tried to inject some light heartedness into what can be at time pretty dry material to read. This in turn has over time, created a sense of an Alfa family here and so there is little if any of the cat fights and bad vibe postings taking place here. So it is a pleasure to visit the site to either learn something of a project underway, share a joke or make somebody's day by providing some sought after info.

I think we should all think of ways to suggest how to freshen the site up, but ultimately, it would be a tragedy to see it fold. We can't let that happen.

As for JK, well he's beyond no hope. :D :D

MD
Last edited by MD on Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

I noticed it too. I guess people are just busy with life, and as Greg points out, Im guessing that there are less and less of us with these cars now. I know loads of Alfisti here n the UK that have sold up old Alfas in the last 2 years and gone to Beamers etc. I think realistically its a nice toy car as a second car, but it makes no sense to spend thousands on them upgrading, when for the same money or less you can go out and buy an M3 or S3 and not touch it. Im guilty of that myself to some extent,. The gtv sits in the garage waiting for my tinkering, while the 155 gets blated about daily. its easier to drive just as fun. That said though. I am going to start using the gtv more often.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I take the point raised by others that newcomers may get intimidated to make fresh posts. I know of personal friends who visit this site but never post. We need to make these people more comfortable in the forum and accommodate them.

I would like to suggest that the "Introduce Yourself" topic set be changed to say, "Welcome to Newbies", or "Newbies Welcome Mat" to clearly show that collectively we are not here to intimidate anyone but more so to share, inform where need be and demonstrate a receptive forum climate.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

If you are considering updating the site more than it is, I would suggest specifically extending invites to owners of the Alfetta and Milanos. This would include a site subtitle or title:

Home of the Transaxle: Alfa GTV6, Alfetta, Milano

And adding this into the web data so it pops up when people do transaxle searches.....

As far a holding hands with newbies, if we can't rip on them, who can we rip on????

JUST KIDDING.. :D

or not.... Mats used to rip on me for the first few years....then I learned to ignore him..and/or actually enjoy his ideas .. :lol:
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

We could start by banning all the chrome junkies from Ohio.....

:wall:
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey radicool, I think your idea has merrit but you would need to list all of them in that case wouldn't you by whatever name? What about a rebadge to "Just Transaxle Alfas" or "All Transaxle Alfas"

Perhaps a poll ?

BTW, Mats sticks it to everybody. No-one is spared newbies included. :D Although I must say, he is mellowing lately..Must be all that cranium pickling during the Swedish winter with the usual Swedish Vodka ya?
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Got another half baked idea.

Currently this site has a bias towards enhancements all the way to racing versions. However not everyone wants to do that. A lot of guys just want to restore them to a respectable condition and sometimes as far as concourse level.

We dont cater for that well.

Why don't we start a transaxle restoration chapter and call it "Concourse Corner" for want of a better heading. I think you get the idea.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

I think the update of "gallery" and "technical"is an excellent idea, though i undestand that there could be issues with hosting with all the pictures and attachments. As MD points out, most of us on here "modify" quite a bit, and it seems to scare off of those who run completely stock, which is something we could try to rectify too.
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

ummmm.....

Maybe a new mod section dedicated to CHROME!!

:lol: see, I'm still gettin ripped on...! :lol:

do we have a site contribution/donate method..say paypal or something to help with costs..?
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Oyyy!! dont rag on the chrome, chrome dome. chrome is good, chrome is powerful, chrome is shiny! :lol:
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

speaking of chrome. Im chroming my whole car :lol:
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

mjr, I have heard that carbon fibre is the new chrome..

seein's how you all iz bent on chrome, don't leave out installing a chrome knob...

..er could come in handy ?? :shock:
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

damn, all this chrome, it's like boyd coddingtons workshop crossed with Tuttle choppers here! :shock: