Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
Mats
Verde
Verde

WideBand o2.

Post by Mats »

We had a little discussion in another part of this forum the other day about WideBand Oxygen sensors (WBo2), it seems that it's gone so I thought we might clear out some of the stuff here.
The discussion was weather you could have the WBo2 sensor installed permantly or if that would damage it. I found this information on the subject of Bosch sensors:

"The heart of the Performance Trends Wideband controller is the Bosch LSU4.2 Universal Exhaust Gas Oxygen (UEGO) sensor. This type of sensor is commonly referred to as “laboratory grade” and works on a different principle than the normal oxygen sensor you would find in your car. Its unique design makes precision AFR measurement possible over the entire operating range.

UEGO type sensors use a “current pump” within the sensor itself to determine the actual oxygen concentration within the sensing element or, lacking any O2, it determines the amount of oxygen required to regain stoichiometric operation. The output is in the form of a very small current which varies depending on the air-fuel ratio. This is completely different from a normal oxygen sensor (1, 2 and 4 wire types) which directly output a voltage. The UEGO design allows measurement of the exact air fuel ratio over the entire operating range.

Each Performance Trends UEGO sensor is individually calibrated and a resistor integral to the connector body is laser trimmed with this value. This process replaces the traditional “free air” calibration procedure when changing sensors and implements a sensor specific calibration for unparalleled accuracy."

Nicked from http://www.performancetrends.com/wide_band_uego.htm

So I guess the early aftermarket sensors are more sensitive and must be calibrated every startup.

I found this because I was wondering what the h3ll that little thing was on the connector on the sensor I have laying around... :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Each Performance Trends UEGO sensor is individually calibrated and a resistor integral to the connector body is laser trimmed with this value. This process replaces the traditional “free air” calibration procedure when changing sensors and implements a sensor specific calibration for unparalleled accuracy

IMHO, its some...commercial tips to get customers.

ANY ! bosch lsu4.2 is factory calibrated. no need to buy them from performance trends to get a calibrated one.

the free air calibration is to set the controller as best as possible to give the value the most accuracy possible. but if you dont calibrate, you dont get 50% of mistakes..perhaps 2% of a bad accuracy,...and..its not sure.

but why said that...'' free air is not needed with us famous controller and sensors''.
because of the hardware that give you the hability to calibrate the free air is costier(perhaps some few $$ but a $ is a $)..!...i'll dont make a draw...

also...90$ for a lsu from them wow ! :shock:
i buy 4 of them at a us vw parts dealer for 38$ each. vw bosch lsu 4.2 sensor for an audi TT 1.8turbo.

a about the life time...

the sensor when used on a street comple oem specs vehicle should had a very long life... i worked at audi/vw as a mechanic for 3 years during 2001-2003include. and i never saw a o² sensor replacement.

but when fitted into race or rich carburetions vehicle this probably should not be the same.
the important thing, is to never let the engine running with the wide band o² unheated(controller offline), this will contaminate the sensor seriously.
2 stroke addict
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

tectoteam wrote:
IMHO, its some...commercial tips to get customers.

ANY ! bosch lsu4.2 is factory calibrated. no need to buy them from performance trends to get a calibrated one.
Of course all Bosch sensors are calibrated, they just make it sound like they are the masta tunerz. ;)
My point was that the Bosch sensors doesn't need "free air" calibration. The Bosch sensors are fitted to LOADS of vehicles around the world and they are ALL permanently mounted and isn't calibrated or similar.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Post by tectoteam »

Mats wrote: Of course all Bosch sensors are calibrated, they just make it sound like they are the masta tunerz. ;)
My point was that the Bosch sensors doesn't need "free air" calibration. The Bosch sensors are fitted to LOADS of vehicles around the world and they are ALL permanently mounted and isn't calibrated or similar.
i'm agree with you...

free air calibration is for NASA or formula 1....but into us despites motors running the famous gasoline plenty of water from the neighbourour fuel pump station...far to be enough unfreeaircalibrated ...(new word ? :lol: )

also had a wide band on a sport car or into a car for the enthousiast mechanic guy is very interesting, and play.

and nowadays, these controllers are very affordable.... somes are DIY for 200$ complete....this is the perfect present for the birthay of the daddy guru... :lol:
2 stroke addict