Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
zambon
Verde
Verde

plug for kit vendors

Post by zambon »

When I purchased my MS, I bought all of the parts directly. That is I purchased my board from B&G, a big list from Digikey, and a few things from Mouser. It turned into a real PITA.
If I had to do it all over again, I would buy everything at once from Glen's garage (http://www.glensgarage.com/) or DIY auto tune.
I am still hunting around for parts that I need since I did it the other way. I also had to wait months while parts were on backorder from digikey. Additionally, I keep getting hit for shipping and handling every time I find somthing missing and have to reorder it. Having many extra parts shipped to you (Digikey minimum orders on components) is a waste. I also hate having extra parts to sort through when I am looking for one thing.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Zambon I'm glad you brought this up.My winter project is to ditch the L-Jet on my 2.5L 86 GTV6.(I'm going to have a big bonfire and sacrifice my AFM to the Alfa gods :evil: ) I've started doing some research on MS and have concluded that I'll probably go with a pre-assembled unit.I assume that going this route would mean that all I would have to do as far as hardware is to wire the board(s) up to my L-Jet connector ? Has anybody here taken this route ? If so your comments would be appreciated.I'm going to go with ignition at the same time.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Murray,
For my 2nd MS install, I purchased a completed unit. You will still have to do the mods as per the GTV6 MS install, fuel pump mod, etc but its no big deal after doing an assembly from scratch. I made an adapter cable from the socket from an old l-jet box to a DB37 to plug into the MS box. This way you can still plug in the stim for testing.

Here's the link with photos if you haven't seen them.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=219&start=30

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

I agree getting all the parts could be a pain, I guess I was lucky that the only out of stock stuff was a few resistors that I could easily pick up locally. Also being outside of the USA the "import duties" for all this stuff is never popular !

Buying all the peices from Glens garage is probably a good call, he doesn't charge much on top of base price & you'll know it's all there, plus that supplier seems to have a good reptatation on the MS forum.

Also, when I build another MS and if it's to replace a factory ECU I'll probably use the same mounting method as David - very neat, and as someone else pointed out, you can still use the MS stim for testing - something I can't easily do on my instal. Now it's finished mine just looks like a stock L-jet ECU case, until you spot the vac hose and laptop interface cable, but then I like the subtlety of this approach !

Go ditch your AFM, you won't regret it. :D
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Thanks guys.So if I understand correctly if I purchase the Megasquirt II assembled kit and deal with the additional fuel pump wiring I should be good to go ? The issues I'll have to address are as follows:

1) I'll have to decide if I want to go with a different TPS

2) MS II will handle the stock low imp. injectors without need for additional flyback board ?

3) I assume I may still need to use chokes on my fan wiring for noise ?

4) MSII will use my dizzy's hall effect signal to control ignition ?

Am I missing anything ?
1986-GTV6
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Murray,

The MS 2 incorporates a lot of the stuff that MS users have been modifying themselves, so it should be far simpler. Your questions:

1/ TPS, correct, you decide. You don't need to change if you dont want too as all the later versions of MS code allow MAPdot instead, meaning you can keep your stock TPS. ( note the TPS is only usually used for momentary acceleration enrichment - just like a carb accel pump - and the MS code can just as easily work from rate of change of the MAP reading as from rate of change of TPS.)

2/ Correct, the MS2 has improved flyback option for low impedance injectors, no further need for a separte beefed up flyback circuit.

3/ Fan noise, I'd say yes use chokes on the fan wiring. (can't hurt and it can prevent some problems at idle when hot)

4/ Correct, MS2 has a variety of ignition inputs that can be built in, if buying built to order, you'll have to specify which so make sure your distributor IS actually a hall sensor. Mine turned out to be a VR sensor (variable reluctor), but that works fine too.

As for anything else:
a/ just the known fuel pump mod for L-jet,
b/ make a wiring conector to the harness connector salvaged from a scrap L-jet box,
c/ easy access to a laptop PC for tuning and code upgrades.

Then I'd say you're good to go.

One suggestion though, I'd advise just going for fuel on day one and add ignition once you have it running reasonably. Otherwise you have two massive sets of variables to tune and won't easily know which area needs work !!!! Once it's running OK on fuel you can start working on spark safe in the knowledge that any drivability issues are purely in the spark area only.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Steve Thank you for the excellent responses and recommendations.I'll follow your advice re fuel first spark next.
Ignition system on my 86 GTV6 2.5l is identified as "hall effect" in the AR shop manual so I presume this is correct.What vehicle did you have a VR sensor on ?
1986-GTV6
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Mines an 83' GTV6, I'll try and get a photo of my distributor internals with a VR sensor.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Now assuming I managed to add the photo to this post you should see the inside of the VR sensor distributor, I've only removed the cap, rotor arm and dust shield.

The 6 pronged star rotates with the centre spindle, the round metal surround is a magnet also with 6 "prongs" that give a signal as the star rotates past. The yellow plastic area in between carries a coil of wire and provides the actual signal pulse "read" by the ignition system.

If yours looks like this then it's a VR, if it doesn't then you probably have a hall effect sender.
Attachments
Variable_reluctor_distributor small.JPG
Variable_reluctor_distributor small.JPG (134.36 KiB) Viewed 8459 times
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Steve Thank you.I definately have the Hall effect unit on my 86 GTV6.I've never seen a VR unit.Looks like a Ninja star :shock: .By the way you've made me jealous.Your speedo thread indicates that you've plugged a TS transaxle into your 6.That's on my wish list.I have a 75 TS and love the tranny in that vehicle.Are you satisfied with the result ?
1986-GTV6
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

just to clarify...
Many of the features that have been mentioned on this thread are not ms2 upgrades. They are upgrades accociated with the version 3 circuit board. MSII has advanages of its own, I am told, but the things mentioned on this thread seem to me to be related to the board, not the processor.
V3 board can run either ms1 or msII.
Please correct me if I am wrong...
(I am building a v3 board with ms1 processor).
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Chokes on fan wiring???
I have not heard about this...
Would you guys mind bringing me up to speed?

Also, I have been looking at the modified fuel pump threads and it seems that the diagrams and such have expired. :? maybe I will start a new thread...