Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Just ordered my MS-I V2.2

Post by Jose_76 »

Hi everybody!!

I've just ordered my MS-I (also have the Stimulator) to substitute the L-Jetronic ECU of my stock 3.0 engine.

I've been told that I need to buy a Wideband O2 sensor. Suggestions?
Where can I fit that sensor? I have an euro spec exhaust with no place for it.

Do I need to buy any extra stuff to fit the MS?

Thank you very much.
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Jose welcolme to the club.I'll try to answer some of your questions.
You don't absolutely need a wideband O2. Megasquirt will work fine with a NB but the WB makes tuning to perfection a lot easier.You are fortunate to be working with a 3.0L and there are already some good fueling maps available as there are other members on this site who've done the hard work. In my case I have a 2.5L so I ended up buying a WB and it has certainly made the job easier.Just keep in mind that it adds another level of complexity to your project and the WB sensors themselves involve a fair bit of setup and can introduce another set of problems you have to resolve.
Like you I have "Euro"pipes on my GTV6 and to mount the sensor I had a fitting installed about 30cm back from where the downpipe turns 90 deg.-about 10cm in front of the resonator.

As far as extra stuff, I highly recommend that you buy a spare ECU so that you have a connector you can use to wire into the L-Jet plug,You can also fit the MS processor into the L-Jet case for a clean looking installation.If you haven't done so read Steve's excellent description of how he did all this:

http://www.alfagtv6.com/MegaSquirt/Megasquirt.htm

You will also have to decide if you're going to get rid of the AFM (that was my primary reason for installing MS) if yes then you need to come up with some intake tubing to deal with this.You'll also need an intake air temperature sensor. Here again, if you can buy a scrap AFM from any L-Jet car you can remove the sensor and use it in your new installation.Keep in mind that intially you may want to be able to put your existing AFM back on if anything goes wrong with MS so don't take it apart.

There are some other issues that you'll have to address along the way such as the TPS (throttle position switch).But those are details you can resolve as you work your way through this thing.There are lots of knowlegable & helpful people on this site who will help guide you through the process.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Thank you very much for the info, Murray

Actually, I've got a spare AFM and an ECU from the 2.5, so no problems with that.
I was thinking about fitting a bigger AFM as a first step before getting rid of it. Is it worth the work?
I've read that higher flow injectors are recommendable, so I'm looking for a set.
I don't understand the TPS thing...but it's too soon to ask about it, I still haven't received the MS to be assembled!! :wink:

I'm certain I'm going to post loads of questions here! :lol:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Jose throw that AFM in the garbage and be done with it :D All it does is restrict airflow so its only use in your case would be to provide a location for the IAT sensor and the fuel-pump cutoff which MS can take care of on its own.
For your injectors I believe that on the 3.0L the rating is near the min. required.so if you increase airflow you may have to consider this.There is lots of discussion on this subject on this BB.

For the TPS, in MS you have the option of using the linear voltage output of the appropriate type (varalble resistor) of TPS to control acceleration enrichment and cut fuel for flood clear.The stock TPS is not a variable resistor but is an on/off switch.There are a variety of options available to deal with this.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

I got on eBay a set of injectors from a BMW 633/635, for the project. Hope the MS arrives to my mailbox within this week.

Murray, I understand that what I need to get now to accomplish this project is an O2 sensor (a Wide Band one for better tuning) and a variable resistor TPS instead of the switch-type stock one, also for better tuning. Where can I get such a sensor? Maybe a stock part from other car?
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

I've already received the MS kit from DIY Auto Tune and I'm very happy with the way they package and label every single component. It's just too easy to identify every part!

I started to build it inmediately and stopped on Step 18 (http://www.megasquirt.info/v22manual/mass.htm), just beacuse it says that I have to use "heat-sink" to solder the voltage regulator.

What the heck is that? :oops:
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

it's a white grease paste, it's used on PCs too between CPU and cooler...
Jose_76
Gold
Gold

Post by Jose_76 »

Thank you very much, Enzo! :D
'84 Red GTV6 3.0
tectoteam
Gold
Gold

Re: Just ordered my MS-I V2.2

Post by tectoteam »

Jose_76 wrote:Hi everybody!!
I've been told that I need to buy a Wideband O2 sensor. Suggestions?
Where can I fit that sensor? I have an euro spec exhaust with no place for it.
try at http://www.techedge.com.au/

i buy a 2A0 one year yet, something like 220€ direct at home by fedex.
works fine, accurate, reliable for the moment, i used this a lot in my gtv and tested this in a alfasud carburetted.

eventually, for € savings, there is the model 2EO with the integrated display.
a 2E0 kit with cables (it had the wb ouput on the green plug in the side of the casing), a bosch 7057 WB sensor, and shipping to you home sounds close under 200€ and 1week delivery.
2E0 had a linear wide band output 0-5v and a simulated 0-1v for narrow efi entries for a substitute in a stock efi with nb sensor.

its not a kind of advertising....but.....i wondering about this product that is in DIY kit like MS efi.
far to the 1500€ of the motec lambda meter....

after yu just need to had a plug welded it in your exhaut close to the engine...
i take a from a local dealer that sell dynojet parts, because im sell me 2 weldable plugs for 10€....cheaper than the close machine shop....
2 stroke addict