Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

A better way?

Post by constantinemacris »

I have decided to get a Haltech E11v2 for my 1985 GTV6. Everything is stock in the engine and after consulting Dave from Engine Management Systems the E11v2 seemed like the "coolest" thing to do. A bit pricey but something that would put a 1985 Alfa on a technological level with some of the newest cars on around. Today right before I began surgery I took the car over for a little dyno session. I figure we can all benefit from the results.

With about 60F temps stock motor with slightly adjusted airflow sensor:

Run 1: Max Torque and then HP
106.8 HP, 124.6 ft-lb @4499 RPM
114.6 HP, 121.4 ft-lb @4959 RPM

Run 2:
122.1 HP, 130.0 ft-lb @4930
127.1 HP, 123.4 ft-lb @5406

Run 3:
120.8 HP, 128.3 ft-lb @4954
123.2 HP, 126.3 ft-lb @5126

Run 4:
118.3 HP, 129.9 ft-lb @4781
123.3 HP, 125.9 ft-lb @5141

Keep in mind that the RPM sensor was not working well and the RPM was calculated from wheel speed via gear ratio at a "set" rpm on the tach which may or may not have been exactly the calibrated 2000 RPM.

So that is what a stock GTV6 gets. Tonight I took out the old fuel injection harness. With the new system the mass air sensor goes and is replaced by a MAP sensor for manifold pressure. The aux air valve, altitude sensor, cold start injector, and a few other things also go. It should simplify the engine compartment quite a bit and open up some much needed space. I am under the watchful eye of Dave from Engine Management Systems who specializes in EFI in particular wiring harnesses. He has built wiring harnesses for some pretty serious race car and is VERY particular on how things are done. He has all splices in one place and pays particular attention to proper crimping and other such stuff. I thought I was anal but this man gives a whole new meaning to the word. I will write more as I learn more.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

im intrested in seeing how this goes..as well as costs :wink:
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

This ECU is very expensive. Makes the Autronic price look like buying a cheap toy.
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

It's software also makes the Autronics look cheap ;)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

:x !!!!

:D
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

you only go around once
Jack_Linguini
Silver
Silver

stock dyno numbers

Post by Jack_Linguini »

I can concur w those dyno numbers. I got ~125HP,~125lb/ft from
my basically stock LJEt 2.5

JimL
j.v. Lentini
1984 ALFA GTV6 2.5
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Are you guys trying to make me feel really good about my car ? If so I appreciate it.
Before I installed Megasquirt on my 2.5L (stock with 240,000 miles/386,000kms. and S cams) I dynoed it at 130 hp. @ 6200 rpm. / 152 ft/lbs. @ 5785 rpm. I was a little disappointed with these numbers and rebuilt the engine :twisted:
I haven't returned to the dyno yet but with Megasquirt and no AFM I would estimate an increase in HP.& torque of about 8 - 10 %.Guess those "S" cams were worth the money. :D
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

do you know the stock peak HP and Torque RPM?

Also, i have all the wires run, i need to replace the TPS and get a new idle air valve. Then my EFI guy is going to shirnk tube the harness and put in a v6 map and go to the dyno again.

I would be done by now but when running the igntion inputs i found that the chassis harness looked a little crispy. Upon further investigation i found the whole thing was sorta melted together. I got a painless harness and have since taken out all old wires and installed a back seat mounted fuse block. So far everything works but i will know for sure when i hook up the battery and try it all out. I just got a relay block in today so i will have 8 relays all together to run everythign from headlights, to ignition cutoff, to AC, and just about anything else.

If anyone needs amp readings on just about anything on the car let me know.

All wire is SLX or GLX to TLX and it has made the harness so much thinner. The whole thing took a long time running wires then running them a differnt way about three times over.
I will post some photos once i can get them off the stupid camera.
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Not to burst anyones bubble...

I didn't do any before runs on my 3.0 pre MS installation but the stock specs are 189hp at the flywheel from the factory.

After installing the MS and removing the AFM with stock cams and some porting I got 217hp at the rear wheels which is about 250hp at the flywheel.

Since I installed my new triple throttle body setup and installing 8L cams, I'd estimate the flywheel horsepower closer to 300. I know I turn about the same 1/4 mile times as my friends WRX. On the track against another WRX that I assume was "pimped" by the coffee can exhaust pipe, I matched his straight away speeds pretty evenly but that stupid rice-racer got im my way in the corners. I eventually carried enough momentum out of a corner to get past him on the straight and out dragged him to the first corner. I was putting about 1-2 seconds a lap on him after I got around him.

-Peter