Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
Luis
Gold
Gold

Edis6 conversion. (trigger wheel)

Post by Luis »

I´m going to put edis6 on my gtv6, but i don´t want to put the crank wheel.

What about a trigger wheel in the distributor place?

If i´m right the 75 3.0 has a hall effect sensor in the distributor for the ignition computer, it´s posible to mod it for Edis6?
jol
Silver
Silver

Re: Edis6 conversion. (trigger wheel)

Post by jol »

Luis wrote:I´m going to put edis6 on my gtv6, but i don´t want to put the crank wheel.

What about a trigger wheel in the distributor place?

If i´m right the 75 3.0 has a hall effect sensor in the distributor for the ignition computer, it´s posible to mod it for Edis6?
The distributor spins at half the speed of the crank, edis wants the crank speed... why don't you want it on the crank wheel?
The 164 has this for the motronic, but the waterpumps differ as the 164 pump is driven from the second wheel from the block, not the closest (or something like it).
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Well not quite...

The EDIS system uses a specific 36-1 inductive pattern for the EDIS module itself. The EDIS and Motronic crank angle sensor are 2 totally different systems.

The Motronic 60-2 wheel can be mounted to the 3.0. You will see the tabs for the sensor on all 3.0 blocks, not just the 164. You can mount a 164 front pulley and sensor with no modifictions but why would you? Crank angle can be obtained from the hall sensor just as easily as the crank wheel. For this system, crank angle type is programmed in to MegaTune. Angle and RPM are calculated by the MS. The ignitor is replaced with one from a 164 or a host of other Motronic applications. The dwell is fixed but the spark angle is sent from the MS to the ignitor to calculate advance. To convert a stock hall system the ONLY thing you need to replace is the ignitor. About $25 US on EBay. Volkswagen are the most popular application if you can't find one from a 164.

The EDIS system has no distributor. It is wasted spark, and does it's own crank angle calculation. There are quiet a few problems to tackle. First is mounting the 36-1 wheel. You cannot fudge this. You need to run the Ford wheel and VRS. Putting the wheel in the distributor would be futile because the distributor is obsolete. That's the next problem with the EDIS. In order to remove the distributor, though you don't have to, is using an oil pump from a 164 that has the sealed distributor drive. You can't just take the distributor out because the drive shaft will ride up and fall out. This shaft is driven by the timing belt pulley which in turn drives the oil pump. If it rides up and/or falls out, the oil pump stops spinning, and that is usually bad for the engine.

First how EDIS works. Crank angle is fed to the EDIS by the 36-1 wheel. It takes 2 revolutions to figure out where the engine is, or 1 complete cycle because the crank turns 2X distributor speed. The RPM and angle are calculated by the EDIS module and fed to the MS on 2 pins. Commonly known as PIP and SAW. MS then calculates the spark advance from the SAW and sends the PIP to the EDIS unit which then tells 1 coil to fire. Because the crank turns 2x cycle speed, it forces the coil to fire 2 times per cycle, hence the term wasted spark. A coil is mated to a pair of cylinders that fire on both the compression and exhaust cycle.

A few advantages I see in the EDIS system. 1) the EDIS module has a limp home mode so if the MS malfunctions, it will run a fixed advance of 10 degrees BTDC to get you home. 2) The parts are available anywhere. If the unit dies, Ford is spoken at all parts stores. 3) the MS is taken out of the equation more than an ignitor/distributor/coil system and easier to debug.

HTH

-Peter