Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
kredden
Silver
Silver

Post by kredden »

Hey, another question on something I remember reading in one of your other threads...are you still using the cold start injector? I thought I saw a mention that you were somewhere, if so how come?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin
87 Verde
86 Spider
Milano Registry Custodian (www.alfamilano.com)
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Kevin no I'm not using the CSI,in fact I pulled it out and made an aluminum blocking plate to close off the plenum hole>I don't miss it :twisted:
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Murray wrote:Kevin no I'm not using the CSI,in fact I pulled it out and made an aluminum blocking plate to close off the plenum hole>I don't miss it :twisted:
Obviously the CSI is not needed. The priming pulse, cranking pulse and WUE take care of that function with a lot more accuracy. You should be able to get the car to idle cold without a cold idle device.

Kevin, you've seen my car. It idles in -6degF Chicago winters without any cold idle device at all.

-Peter
kredden
Silver
Silver

Post by kredden »

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just came across the reference to keeping it on somewhere while re-reading a lot of the posts. Couldn't understand why it would still be needed.

Didn't make too much progress today, all I got done was to punch a couple holes through the firewall and get the vacuum hose and the tach, fuel pump gnd, and main gnd pulled through. Also I had forgotten to make sure the AFM flap was held open so I just mucked with the setting on one of my spares and will put that in too, should make tuning a little simpler!

Yesterday with a little mucking around I got the idle relatively smooth.

Tomorrow will make sure it still runs :-), and will take a shot at installing the wideband O2 sensor.

Kevin
Kevin
87 Verde
86 Spider
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Is this a street car or the EP car? I'm going to assume a street car since you're worried about warm up and all that.

I'm a little confused here.

Why are you running new wires through the firewall instead of using the stock harness?

If this is a street car why are you bothering to retain the AFM? (I understand the EP rules require you keep it)

Why were you worrying so much about the fuel pump mod if you're just going to prop the AFM flap open anyway?

-Peter

kredden wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought. I just came across the reference to keeping it on somewhere while re-reading a lot of the posts. Couldn't understand why it would still be needed.

Didn't make too much progress today, all I got done was to punch a couple holes through the firewall and get the vacuum hose and the tach, fuel pump gnd, and main gnd pulled through. Also I had forgotten to make sure the AFM flap was held open so I just mucked with the setting on one of my spares and will put that in too, should make tuning a little simpler!

Yesterday with a little mucking around I got the idle relatively smooth.

Tomorrow will make sure it still runs :-), and will take a shot at installing the wideband O2 sensor.

Kevin
kredden
Silver
Silver

Post by kredden »

Peter,

This is a street car. There are really only two non LJet harness wires.

The first is the tach signal which I'm taking from the Hall sensor instead of the coil, is there a way to wire this so that it just uses the stock harness?

The second is the ground wire out to the new fuel pump relay, I didn't make any of the MS board mods instead added a relay.

The third wire is just a fat GND wire running from the mounting plate to the engine just to make sure I have a good ground.

The AFM will go just as soon as I figure out what to replace it with, just haven't gotten that far yet. I want to keep the stock airbox so I'm not sucking in hot engine bay air.

Kevin
Kevin
87 Verde
86 Spider
kredden
Silver
Silver

Re: MS-II build underway...questions

Post by kredden »

Well, I'm finally back at this after over two years! Wow, has it really been that long? I've now finally got the 3.0L I built up in the car and broken in (S-Pistons, GAR Fast Road V6 cams (more aggressive than S-Cams), and some CSC headers that I haven't installed yet).

Dusted off the MS and hooked it back up pretty quickly as I had the forethought to label all the wires I had put in there! I had problems running these cams with the stock L-Jet, had to idle the car quite high (1800 rpms) to keep it from stalling out when I took my foot off the gas and it was never good at warming up.

I've been trying to get the car to start with the MS without hitting the gas as soon as it catches but no go. If I do pop the gas it'll start and run fine from about 1500 RPMs on up. Spent an hour tweaking the cranking pulse widths and afterstart enrichments but no go, just lots of soot out the tailpipe!

One thing I've noticed is that my Innovate LC-1 WB02 seems to just stay at 17 and not move, not really worrying about that until I get to the warmup tuning but it doesn't look right. I made sure to do the open air calibration again before I installed it so I don't know what is wrong.

Kevin
Kevin
87 Verde
86 Spider