Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

for the firmware upgrade you have to set the boot jumper the first time, for any later update you don't need it.

set up your settings.ini corectly

C:\Program Files\MegaSquirt\car1\mtCfg\settings.ini
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Pick a base configuration.
; Exactly one of these configurations must be "#set" and all the rest must
; be "#unset".

#group CODE_VARIANT "Code Variant"
#unset DFI "David Hooke's Ducati FI "
#unset DUAL_TABLE "Guy Hill and Eric Fahlgren's Dual Table variant"
#unset MSNEDIS "James Murray and Dave Hayne's MSnEDIS ignition variant"
#unset MSNEDISmod "Roger Enns's MSnEDIS variant with staged injection"
#unset MSNS "Magnus Bjelk's MSnS ignition variant"
# set MSNS_EXTRA "James Murray and Phil Ringwood's MSnS extensions"
#unset MS_ECU "Robert Hiebert's EEC-IV replacement code"
#unset MS_I "Bowling and Grippo MegaSquirt"
#unset MS_II "Bowling and Grippo MegaSquirt-II"
#unset MSpark "Tom Hafner's MegaSpark variant"
#unset PIC_SQUIRT "PIC squirt"
#endgroup
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

enzo, you're the MAN! :)

Now to fry something...

:D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

welcome Mats!

if you want degrees celsius in MegaTune set it up in the settings.ini (and for wideband O2 sensors too)

if you need help with the temp sensors drop a line...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Hmm, changed to the Extra code in the file and after that the communication to the MS didn't work..
I guess I need to change the firmware in the ECU?

Edit: I wonder how I do that... :?

I love how everybody on other forums just answer "use the bootloader", "just short R6" or "just use DOWNLOAD.EXE". :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

download and unzip this archive
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... a024s9.zip

execute the download-firmware.bat and follow the instructions. you have to open your MS-case ;-) your are promted to power down your ms, install a boot jumper (see the pic where is located) you can use a small wire, no need to solder, just put in....then power up your MS...this operation shuld take less than 5 mins...

regards
Attachments
boot.JPG
boot.JPG (58.85 KiB) Viewed 9233 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

hmm, more weirdness...

When I short the two holes located in the square next to the word "boot" printed on the board I don't get a turn-on-blink from the LED and the .bat file complain about recieving "" instead of "boot>"...

Tried to do it without the jumper too but it doesn't make a difference, still have excellent communication through megatune.
I heard something about some guys had problems with their computer being too fast and this making the firmware swap problematic and some having problems with the 12v in the house (I'm using the 12v line from a computer power pack, is that clean enough?)

Edit: When I open Megatune with the boot-jumper connected it says:

Expected "MSnS-extra format 024s *********"
Recieved "S - what???Boot>"

And a bunch of dire warnings...
Guess it means that the boot jumper works then. So why doesn't the .bat file work? :|
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

after installing the boot-jumper do you have rebootet your MS? selected the right com port?

sorry for this stupids questions...

ps: do you have Win XP? in the device manager you can set the boud rate for the com-port....set it to 9600....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

did exactly what the .bat said, power down, jumper, power up. No go.
I have only one com-port, tried no2 but it said it couldn't find it, which I can understand. ;)

Hmm, port settings:

Bits per second - 9600
Data bits - 8
Parity - None
Stop bits - 1
Flow control - None

Looks alright I guess.

The weird thing is that Megatune obviously gets the "Boot>" response that the .bat is looking for...
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Oh, never mind, tried the other computer and that worked first try once I got the COM port number right...

Guess my laptop is too fast for flashing firmware. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

you can try to upload the firmware via hypertherm

Code: Select all

for Version 2.2 put on th Bootloader jumper pin, hook upa serial cable from the computer to the MS box, and fire up Hyperterminal (Hypertrm.exe). At this point, leave the MS unit unpowered. 

You will see a Hyperterminal screen when you execute - type in any name you want in the box, and make sure the Red telephone with the little yellow telephone next to it is highlighted. 

Now, a new screen appears. On the "Connect Using" selection, select either COM1 or COM2, depending on your serial connection. 

New screen with comm port settings pops up. Select 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and set flow control to "None" - this is very important. 

Hyperterm terminal screen is now up. Apply power to the MS board, then hit . You should see the "Boot>" prompt appear in the terminal screen. Type "H" and you will be shown the options available in bootloader mode. 

Hit "W" for "Wipe" - this erases the entire flash array (except the section running the bootloader). 

Hit "P" for "Program," which will respond with the text "wait ...". Then under the "Transfer" menu, select "Send Text File..." (do not use the "Send file" mode - you are sending a text file). Set "Files of type" to "All files" and select the .s19 file containing your assembled code (msns-extra.s19). 

You will see no activity on the screen for about 40 seconds. Then the prompt will come back, which means the operation is finished. Turn off power to MS and shut down Hyperterminal. Remove the jumper, and you are ready to go. 
Hyperterminal (Hypertrm.exe) is a part of windows....just press start -> run -> hypertrm
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

Mats

you have to close MegaTune (and others programs who use the serial port) when you try to download the firmware!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Naturally, everything was shut down, I did it exactly the same way on both computers and it workt like a charm on the old one but not on the faster laptop...
But now that I have the extra code I don't have to use the boot-jumper I guess...
Hyperterm terminal screen is now up. Apply power to the MS board, then hit . You should see the "Boot>"...
Hit what? :D
"."?

Did a scavenge hunt in the garage and found an intake temp sensor and a coolant temp sensor, now to find three points for a map in easytherm... :)
The intake temp sensor is a Jaeger, guess I won't find ready made maps for that one. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
enzo
Platinum
Platinum

Post by enzo »

i use the original Bosch coolant sensor and for the intake i have just bought one from www.rs-autosport.com for 20$...
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Hey I've got a "Decoding MS" question for everyone, recently my laptop crashed and I had to start out all over again. It wasn't that hard, but I loaded all the code and programs right from the MSEFI.com sites and didn't use any maps/code/anything from other alfisti.

I never did anything to calibrated my alfa intake temperature sensor or coolant sensors. Do I still need to do this? I had assumed in the past that the alfa guys I got the MS files included the sensor calibrations. What am I supposed to be doing to calibrate the alfa sensors?

Oh, I'm close on getting mappable ignition using the milano distributor and a different bosch ignition module. I've committed every possible mistake you could. Stay tuned, I'll write something up and post it.

Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Funny you should mention it, I had a hard drive crash, just the other night... :(
Managed to save all my important stuff but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

std intake air temp sensor is located in the AFM and since that is thrown away you need a new one, which one did you use? I took one off of a Delta, that will do the trick I hope. :)
The coolant sensor is from a 90 2.0, basically std Bosch.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!