Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
bmacf
Gold
Gold

auxiliary air valve?

Post by bmacf »

Hey was I suppsed to get rid of that auxiliarly air valve (heated switch thing on passenger valver cover) when I went to MS? I always seem to have something like a vacuum leak when its cold and I'm wonder if I should have eliminated that auxiliary air valve.

Thanks,
Bill in Maryland
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
David
Gold
Gold

Post by David »

Bill,

You will still need the AAV with MS unless you have some other method to give it more air when cold. It's not connected to MS though.

You should hear it hiss when cold. When I installed MS on my 3.0L and put in the larger inlet runners and air intake (no AFM) I had to open up the AAV further to get a good cold idle. I can hear it inside the car when idling cold. Using just the idle air adjustment I found the RPM was too high at idle when hot.

If it is idling at the right revs when cold, pinch the hose to the AAV shut and I think you'll find the engine will die.

David
1985 GTV6 3.0 Zender Body Kit - Red
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Quite right you do still need this part with MS, or if not then some other device to admit more air when cold.

One thing to bear in mind when trying to fault find air leaks - the factory AAV itself can leak air around the edge of the round body even if the hoses are perfect ! I had two AAV's, one leaked like a sieve and one was OK. Might be worth your while testing it (soapy water and some air pressure) not sure if they can be resealed, but I don't see why a good clean and some decent sealer around the edge won't fix a leaky AAV.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
bmacf
Gold
Gold

Post by bmacf »

Hey thanks David and Steve, just what I needed to know. I get a fairly good idle when cold, but can't load the engine or it will stall. I'd fiddle with the warmup settings more, but everytime I do I end up flooding the engine. Now that I've installed Megasquirt, I'm really impressed with all the development time companies have put into their FI systems. This is a lot of work!

Thanks,
Bill
Bill in MD
'88 Alfa Milano Verde x 2
'77 Fiat Spider
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Bill,
What version of ECU formware and tuning software are you using?

PM me off forum, I might have some suggestions.
Steve
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged