Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

cchan,
Use regular plumbers teflon tape, the 1/2 inch wide should do fine. A little trick I learned to apply the tape and not have it unravel is this; Hold the fitting in the left hand with the thread under your thumb, hold tape roll above the thread so that its like toilet paper coming off the bottom of the roll, put the loose end of the tape under your thumb and hold the tape so when you wrap the tape around you trap the tape not your thumb, start to wrap the tape away from you (if you put fitting infront of you thread facing away you'll be going counter clockwise), hold a bit of tension on the tape as you go, go around 3 times, cover the starting end of the thread but don't hang over the end so that the hole is covered.

this takes no time to do and forever to explain.

HTH,
Scott
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

You can use Loctite #569 to do the job. It's a bit neater to do and doesn't leave tape to be seen. The loctite isn't a thread locker and allows the fitting to be removed if the need arises. Just another option.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Scott,

Are you looking for old engine mounts? I think that I still have my old engine mounts in the bin. If you want them let me know and I will double check this. Not sure how you could get them since I am in USA.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hello,

So JJ arrived on Tuesday in town. Picked him up at the Airport and after lunch started the final completion of the Alfa. We changed the spark plug wires to Blue ones since they had a better reach than the black ones. Completed the Hook up of the Engine Management System tubes, Mounted the coil packs, and painted and tested the fans.

We needed to revise the throttle linkage since it is not like the Milano so we did another mount that worked propertly. Finally, we made a mount for the air intake tube. Everything is looking good and we had the alignment done today as well as 2 hours of Dyno for the intial set up and drove the Alfa. What Fun :D

Here are some pictures:
Attachments
Coil Pack Installed.JPG
Coil Pack Installed.JPG (172.97 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
Alfa Fans restored.JPG
Alfa Fans restored.JPG (152.17 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
Alfa Intake #1.JPG
Alfa Intake #1.JPG (154.94 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
Alfa Intake #2.JPG
Alfa Intake #2.JPG (157.39 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
Modified Throttle Cable Bracket.JPG
Modified Throttle Cable Bracket.JPG (162.35 KiB) Viewed 7924 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Dyno

Post by cchan »

Took off after late lunch to bring the Alfa to the Interior Shop so that I can stay on schedule for JJ. Everyone who saw the Alfa was amazed with the paint and the restoration project. Your good JJ, nothing but compliments on your engine, suspension, and the engine noise. The Alfa started up ok and we actually drove the Alfa on to the tow truck and off into the interior shop. Still need to deal with the starter issue but worked so far. :D

Here are some pictures of the car being dyno tuned. I wish I had JJ's camera to take the picture of him driving to the dyno tune due to the tow truck delay. My AAA membership will not tow the Alfa anymore. :cry: Who cares I could have driven to the interior shop but with no windshield and no registration yet I did not feel like taking a chance. The picture would show JJ's hair blowing like crazy on the freeway. JJ has alot of *alls to drive it to stay on schedule.
Attachments
Alfa Dyno Tune #5.JPG
Alfa Dyno Tune #5.JPG (74.41 KiB) Viewed 7845 times
Alfa Dyno Tune #4.JPG
Alfa Dyno Tune #4.JPG (67.21 KiB) Viewed 7846 times
Alfa Dyno Tune #3.JPG
Alfa Dyno Tune #3.JPG (57.75 KiB) Viewed 7846 times
Alfa Dyno Tune #2.JPG
Alfa Dyno Tune #2.JPG (47.99 KiB) Viewed 7845 times
Alfa Driven to Dyno Tune.JPG
Alfa Driven to Dyno Tune.JPG (33.54 KiB) Viewed 7845 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Alfa GTV6 Interior Restoration

Post by cchan »

Went over some more details for the interior and how to do the dash. Joe needs to study this to see how he will do the dash. We will either do the "just dash" for the restoration or custom leather if it is possible. I picked out the carpet which will be wool from the Rolls Royce book and I just need to pick the headliner. Joe thinks that a custom Red Mesh and black background will match the seats. I can also go with a light off white suede for the headliner. What does the BB think would look good.

I also saw one front seat and and now that the Alfa is actually at the shop they will start working on this part of the restoration continually. I will only be working on the Alfa on the week ends again for my Hobby. We are painting the door locks and trunk lock since this needs to be installed before the interior. We will also be working on the electrial items such as the windows (do not work) and test all the other electrial items such as head lights, turn signal, interior lights, etc.

The tach does not work but I think this is because we need to wire it from the Gotech and the speedo. We need to source the Milano sender per the GTV6 tread. Finally, I need to redo the chrome rocker panels for the lower door entrance. Has anyone seen any custom ones that have the Alfa Romeo written on them. ( For example like the Mercedes Benz or BMW ones that are put in them from the Factory)

Here are the Final picture for today.
Attachments
Alfa to Interior Shop #3.JPG
Alfa to Interior Shop #3.JPG (49.52 KiB) Viewed 7842 times
Alfa to Interior Shop #2.JPG
Alfa to Interior Shop #2.JPG (49.64 KiB) Viewed 7843 times
Alfa to Interior Shop.JPG
Alfa to Interior Shop.JPG (53.31 KiB) Viewed 7843 times
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Ooo looking nice!

What coil packs are they? I have the VR6 unit that was sent with the engine, but the plug are basically taped on because they do not fit the coilpack, and any VW leads that do fit are too short for the engine.

If you could find out that would be great :D
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hi Mezevenf,

Thanks, it took awhile to get the plug wire set up ok. We used two sets of wires to make one set since two plug wires were too short. To the best of my knowledge this is the only way to solve this situation. The plug wires were HP over the counter wires. We used Mitsubishi Pajero 6 pack coil-pack for my conversion. Hope this helps with your project. :D
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

I might have to mod some Golf VR6 leads to be long enough for mine, that would work.

NightSpec
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

Sorry cchan I completely missed your post. Yes I am still looking, but I just looked on the USPS site and looks like US$27 for freight :( . In the last 11 days I guess your bin would've been emptied anyway :D . Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers, Scott
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

No, I still have everything. I am a pack rat and I kept everything so I can covert back to a Stock GTV6. Can't really see me doing this but just in case. Never know what the future may bring?
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

cchan wrote:I can covert back to a Stock GTV6. Can't really see me doing this but just in case. Never know what the future may bring?
Insanity?

NightSpec
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hi mezevenf,

My wife would agree with you on the "INSANITY" only from a different point of view. She feels that Cars are a waste of $. I am just keeping everything to justify my conversion. As you know, maybe not on this BB so much but their are those who think a restore uses all OEM parts and originality. :wink:
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

We worked a little on the Alfa this Sat. Looks like we are going to be delayed though. The dash seems to be a problem and Joe does not think he can do a good job with leather due to the unusual shape of the dash. Therefore, it looks like we find a new dash in black (Probably impossible), go the just dash route ( 5 weeks), or follow the refurbish of the dash with as detailed by the thread in this bb with the foam and truck liner (might not follow directions correctly and look bad). What have others done with their dash??

We took out the headliner and picked the new material. We are going with off white headline to keep it the orginal color. We also covered the body so it would not get damaged. We will remove the dash this week and if anyone has any pointers we would appreciate it.

Finally, has anyone used dynomat for the interior of their Alfa for sound and heat insulation? We are thinking about the best way to do this part of the restoration. Don't want to add alot more weight but still want a comfortable interior.

Here are some pictures of the status of the interior.
Attachments
Interior Restore #5.JPG
Interior Restore #5.JPG (47.93 KiB) Viewed 7584 times
Interior Restore #4.JPG
Interior Restore #4.JPG (41.78 KiB) Viewed 7585 times
Interior Restore #3.JPG
Interior Restore #3.JPG (29.78 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
Interior Restore #2.JPG
Interior Restore #2.JPG (38.97 KiB) Viewed 7585 times
Interior Restore #1.JPG
Interior Restore #1.JPG (46.45 KiB) Viewed 7584 times
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Dynomat

Post by rhodes1 »

Hello mate.

I dynomated the entire interior and under the hood of my Alfa. It ways next to nothing, just a rubbrizd compound and a thin veneer of batting which also deflects heat. It has a nice self adhesive on it and is very easy to work with.

I highly recommend it to improve insulation, reduce rattles, and improve stereo quality. However, it will muffle the sound of your GTV-6 purring. If you do go with it, double down on the drive shaft hump as it will elminate to a degree the heat which radiates up near the shifter.

Overpriced product, but still worthwhile.

Best wishes,

Richard