Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
brookstroutr
Gold
Gold

Post by brookstroutr »

David,

You're right about the Corporate Alfa interference. However, they were trying to compete with BMW's 3 series at the time and were trying to keep the price similar. I think the GTV6 was around $20 - 23k when new.

I bought my '83 in '84 from a guy that was a VP at Behr of America who manufactured the A/C and other components for Alfas & BMWs. He told me about Alfas strategy. He also stated that the A/C seems weak on the GTV6 when I was picking it up from him. He told me they, Behr, could make a better A/C, but Alfa didn't want to rob too much power. Also, he had an '84 BMW 325e E30 parked beside the GTV6. Both cars were Silver/Blue. He told me to look closely at the fronts of the cars. I said they look real close in design. He said "yeah, BMW copied the GTV6".

The interior isn't the best. It's not like my Maserati nor BMW, but I do like the seating. I like the '84s seat better than my old '83. The PO had installed new vinyl on the fronts and door panels. The seats you cannot tell the difference from leather. The panels I don't care for and will send them to get leather. I know a great, inexpensive upholstery place in San Diego. I've got a Black Momo leather steering wheel and Mahogany Nardi 3 spoke wheel with the spokes covered and black. It's period correct and mimics the original. Same on my Biturbo albeit 4 spoke. eBay items. 1 from Hong Kong $99.50; 1 from Japan $102.50 USD. They look almost brand new. For my cars, "the net is my friend!!!!"
Regards,

N. G. Brooks Robinson
'84 GTV6
'84 M635CSi
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Hey David,
Okay, so ...um how's this project coming along? ... I can't believe you don't have a photo of this thing pre having gone through - heck, it's almost 2008! Maybe I need to send some East Bay Papparazi over there!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

This is the best I can do for the time being. I've got some surprises to share, but it will have to wait until the project is completed.

The RSR suspension is now installed with the ride height adj. of course.

The wheels are "Type 4" 17 X 7 (215/40/17 Pirelli M+S Nero) from Serpent Autosports. Wait till you see the full view, they are special.

Steering wheel and pedals by Momo.

The transmission is currently undergoing fine-tuning.

The interior will also be given an extreme makeover.

Then the engine upgrades (2.8 ) will be last.

This is my once-in-a-lifetime project, which is not to say my last project, just the last one with the amount of detail and overall investment. I hope to be enjoying this Alfa for the rest of my life.

I will update when it's completed.

Thanks.

David B
1986 GTV-6
undergoing "renovation"
at undisclosed location
Attachments
"The photo below shows the upper arm's poly bushings. We use washers on each side of them to hold them in place securely. That's the best way to do it. These bushings really help keep that upper arm located during hard cornering."
"The photo below shows the upper arm's poly bushings. We use washers on each side of them to hold them in place securely. That's the best way to do it. These bushings really help keep that upper arm located during hard cornering."
benninguppersuspension.jpg (147.12 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
unflattering view, but be patient.
unflattering view, but be patient.
benninggtv6.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Old world charm with new age technology - I love it! Look! - Momo pedals!
Old world charm with new age technology - I love it! Look! - Momo pedals!
IMG_2171.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 7413 times
wheel with red caliper (rebuilt brakes, new rotors, steel braided lines)
wheel with red caliper (rebuilt brakes, new rotors, steel braided lines)
Happycar.jpg (141.49 KiB) Viewed 7414 times
RSR racing front
RSR racing front
RSRfront1.jpg (119.28 KiB) Viewed 7412 times
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Some catch-up photos
Attachments
picture shows the full left rear RSR kit. You can also see the new rear wheel bearing.
picture shows the full left rear RSR kit. You can also see the new rear wheel bearing.
Benning_Wheels_suspension_interior_006.jpg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 7268 times
The Entire rear suspension is back in place. It now has a SZ sperical bearing, a RSR kit, poly bushings in the Watts linkage and new rear wheel bearings.
The Entire rear suspension is back in place. It now has a SZ sperical bearing, a RSR kit, poly bushings in the Watts linkage and new rear wheel bearings.
rear_end_dedion_in.jpg (151.76 KiB) Viewed 7269 times
Here is a beautiful wheel. It's the left rear. You can clearly see the RSR shock and coil spring.
Here is a beautiful wheel. It's the left rear. You can clearly see the RSR shock and coil spring.
wheel_w_suspension_visible.jpg (223.85 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
Door Handle. That wood graining place does a really nice job. All the pieces they sent look great. We will get more pictures of the parts soon.
Door Handle. That wood graining place does a really nice job. All the pieces they sent look great. We will get more pictures of the parts soon.
woodgrain_door_handle.jpg (138.42 KiB) Viewed 7270 times
We took a few outside shots when we repositioned some cars today. Ok, I KNOW the front end is too high. I will need to make an adjustement to the front torsion bars.
We took a few outside shots when we repositioned some cars today. Ok, I KNOW the front end is too high. I will need to make an adjustement to the front torsion bars.
benning_wheels_on.jpg (226.28 KiB) Viewed 7265 times
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

this car looks great!!
is the colour original??
beautiful 8) 8)
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Thanks, yes original color. It's an excellent example.

You might have noticed the seats have disapperared, to be replaced by Corbeau leather TRS model. The interior will be given three additional layers of dampner and then new cut and sewn oxblood carpet will be laid (perhaps best described as dark burgundy).
Attachments
Benning_Interior.jpg
Benning_Interior.jpg (169.1 KiB) Viewed 7240 times
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

brookstroutr wrote: He also stated that the A/C seems weak on the GTV6 when I was picking it up from him. He told me they, Behr, could make a better A/C, but Alfa didn't want to rob too much power.
This is the flip side to all those who complain that the air conditioning is poor in these cars. Alfa didn't lose sight of the performance aspects of the car by letting the comfort aspects add extra weight or sap engine power. I wish there were some car makers that still understood this. (Maybe Lotus is the exception, and perhaps the new Corvette.)
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Real nice Slew...!!!!

check under sound proofing for rust before putting all back together...
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Thanks, X-RAD. I appreciate that. Other than what has already been posted, this is one of the cleanest sixes around, rust-wise. NO RUST!!!

A few more shots, with the shop's critique (mostly).

Continuation of comment below, which was cut off:
we eliminate the need to get a wrench in there. This dramatically reduces the amount of time it takes to remove or reinstall the transaxle.
Attachments
some really clever wiring. It's all hidden inside the steering column and used quality copper wires and good connectors. This will be the foundation of the keyless ignition.
some really clever wiring. It's all hidden inside the steering column and used quality copper wires and good connectors. This will be the foundation of the keyless ignition.
wiring_steering_column.jpg (115.39 KiB) Viewed 7216 times
GTV6_beautiful.jpg
GTV6_beautiful.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 7212 times
Shop: This is one of your transaxle mounts. We have cross bolted it for increased strength. We also welded three nuts onto it. These nuts are nearly impossible to get a wrench onto once the entire unit is bolted into the car. By welding the nuts on, we el
Shop: This is one of your transaxle mounts. We have cross bolted it for increased strength. We also welded three nuts onto it. These nuts are nearly impossible to get a wrench onto once the entire unit is bolted into the car. By welding the nuts on, we el
suspension_interior_004.jpg (140.16 KiB) Viewed 7216 times
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Looking Great! I really like the idea of the Dark Burgundy interior with the black exterior - very nice, can't wait to see that! GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Nice project. Is it purely a street car? Or, combined street and track? How about engine mods?

I recognize some of the other cars in the pics and some of the mods. It says the work takes place at an undisclosed location - one of those "best kept public secrets"? :wink: Anyway, I won't reveal your "secret" since it seems important to you.

The 164Q came in the color scheme of black exterior and burgundy interior - I liked it.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Jes,

Thanks. Loose lips sink ships. As I told the project leader, there are undoubtedly a few people on this board who would positively identify select artifacts in the photos and easily deduce where the Alfa is being re-energized, if you will.

There is a reason for general secrecy, however, and we appreciate (and predicted) your discretion in this regard, Jes.

Originally, I planned it as a 80% street/20% track car, Jes. Now, however, it is 100% street.

The idea behind the revisions is now based on building one of the finest "touring" GTV-sixes; built for spirited driving, to be sure, but also with an eye on creating a truly comfortable habitat for its occupants - covering both the aesthetic senses and the physical senses - for up to 2 people whether for a day trip or for a six-month trip of a lifetime.

I will be very excited to show off the interior when done. It has some touches which I think will be quite unique in whole.

This was my first automobile project (I have 2 Ducatis - an ST2 and a 749s - which have been outfitted with a great number of aftermarket upgrades), and I completely mismanaged it from an economic point of view.

I have gone past my budget and into reserves before we have even begun the engine work. Thus, it looks like serious engine work will have to wait. The plan was to wait for the "JK" headers, and build up the original 2.5 to 2.8, putting out around 220hp at the crank. Instead, we will be installing the updated tensioner, GG's silicone hose kits, air intake upgrade, fuel lines and filters, updated radiator fans and thermostat, a general tune-up all in all. We also have a full Stebro system ready to install, as well.

I don't view it as a setback at all, really, since the engine will be updated sooner or later, and the work that has been done and will be done is first-rate. I feel extremely lucky to have contracted the right company for this work. As you know, Jes, the company in question (which will be revealed soon) operates at an extremely high standard of ethics and competance. I couldn't be happier.

Stay tuned for the conclusion!

Thanks.

David
1986 GTV-6
undergoing "reform" at
undisclosed location
(smile)
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Wery nice and thorough project. I love those wheels. Do they have 16" available as well?
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Yes, definitely.

Serpent Autosports is the designer and sole distributor (as far as I know) of their "Type 4" wheel. This wheel is available in configurations of 18.5/7 (40mm); 17X7 (40MM); 16X7 (38MM).

Follow this link and check out the whole site, it's really cool.

http://www.serpentautosport.com/wheels.htm

It's my opinion that these wheels would look great on all color combos. I'd especially love to see them with a red or slver GTV-6.

David
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

I seccond on that. Black interior and polished rim goes along with any color, bah even pink :lol: