Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Re: Mats Strandberg (SWE)

Post by Mats »

The reason for me not posting build pics: I don't have anything to show... :oops:
All the new parts are in huge piles in the garage, it's quite sad actually. :|

The wing is adjustable, yes. It's however not my own design, I bought it from a guy that knows this stuff. Why reinvent everything? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Very understandable, the design looks good, it certainly looks like it had a lot of effort put into it 8)
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

OK pics on tangible signs of progress is a fair call. :D

Tha wing seems to have a slot for a gurney flap in it - does that mean you have to run a flap or otherwise would have the slot stuffing up the laminar flow off the trailing edge of the upper side of the wing (which I presume would be ugly from a drag and downforce perspective).

Not that running a gurney is a bad thing, as it looks to be a fairly small wing and probably would want a reasonable sized gurney to give it a bit more impact on a car the size of Matts' GTV.

Are you going to do some aero testing with and without the wing and at various configurations? It would be interesting to see tangible results (or not as the case may be).
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

It's not a slot for a gurney. It is one.
A gurney basically always makes sense. In race cars anyway.

It's a good Benzing profile. Don't remember which. Lift is measured to 40 kg with 1500 mm wing at 160 km/h. Another team measured 100 kg with 2 m wing at 200 km/h.

Only downside is that it is very heavy.

If it won't make a difference then Mats is doing something wrong. My current wing isn't the same but similar. Lost it once and the car is undriveable without it.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Yeah, I almost dropped it when I recieved it. :shock:

But it works, it's not sensitive to AOA in terms of stall and it was very affordable.
Need to switch to a more positive locating trunk lid lock though, Not too interested to lose it in case of an incident.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

You should put some winglets in it, they seem to be in style today, even 767's have them, less interference drag, would look weird though, at least your opponent's will be distracted by the weird looks also, it's a win win situation! haha :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Well naturally I will have an endplate on it, I'm not giving away performance for free... 8)
Expect a square sheet of CF though, simple and appropriate. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Looking good Mats.

There is this track that I sometimes go to, it has a big sweeper, you can hit almost 200 km/h. I wonder if a wing would help stabilize the rear end. From what Micke has said, it might!!! 2 things worry me though, the weight and the straight line speed penalty.
Dr. Alban
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

It will definetly help, contribution will be a fact from about 100Km/h and up. Drag, well there will be a drag penalty but I don't think it will be a problem. Remember that you can carry more speed through the bend out on the straight... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

What I've seen on my 1970 Plymouth Barracuda is that the wing (or in my case lip spoiler) counteracts the lift that you get at higher speeds and settles the rear end of the car. It takes the 'floaty' feeling out of the rear end and makes it less twichy.

Mats wing is likely more effective than my old spoiler with less drag too. I was able to get the ol' beast up to 140mph or so with the spoiler on it and only a little (like 142) faster without. Of course it has a 440 (7.2L) in it and the aerodynamics of a brick.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Looks like I'll need to make new mounts :(

On the other hand the adaptors seem to fit just fine. :)

And the flange of course. :up:

Gear change indicator and oil pressure warning light.

The replacement meters for the center cluster. Hopefully I can trust these even when I drive... :roll:

Last edited by Mats on Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Excellent! love the flange too! i'm getting nearer to the point to redo the driveshaft for my Giulie and that definetely is going to help... :D
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Lots of coolness going on there. Had a closer look at the wing and can see how it is a gurney now (makes a lot more sense).

Are there rules governing how far up and back you can mount the wing? If not, some more of each would look to be worthwhile if you are going to make new mounts anyhow.

Something else that I've wondered that might be relevant here is if there is a practical way of cleaning up the airflow off the roof onto the hatch, as there is quite a pronounced step and I suppose that would increase drag and result in dirty air heading for the wing. If the hatch sat up a bit higher perhaps. Maybe some vortex generators across the rear edge of the roof.
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There are rules but not perfectly clear, I would like to move it quite a bit rearwards but I need to check the rulebook. The adjustement is also just about maxed out, not too good.
About the step. I don't think it matters much actually, my hatch is really light (fibreglass + PC window) but even if I drive with it unlatched it stays put, not even a slight lift. But since I have the perfect camera position I'll play with some yarn to check it of course. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

BINGO - that's a great idea 8) could put yarn down the glass and video it from inside the car (I don't have a wing to bolt the camera to, but I can just turn my camera around) to see where the airflow re-attaches to the glass (if at all).

To add to my list of Easter projects. :D
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre