Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Restoration/Modification

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

Had a chance to warm up the engine and take some shots of the interior today. I wanted to share this as promised. The interior still needs to be detailed and we did not get a chance to put on the new steering wheel yet. We need to source the extra bolts for the extension.

The Alfa is being put into storage for the winter. We will be towing the Alfa back to the warehouse in the next couple of months to complete the final detailing of the body and take care of the electrical issues. Here are some pictures and please disregard the dust. Thanks again for watching this thread and thanks to everyone who helped our team make this restoration/modification possible. We are basically done with this project for now and will post the final dyno tune results next year.

We are happy that we actually completed this project after 15 months. :shock: 8) :D :D :D
Attachments
Alfa Interior #5.jpg
Alfa Interior #5.jpg (162.2 KiB) Viewed 7101 times
Alfa Interior #4.jpg
Alfa Interior #4.jpg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 7101 times
Alfa Interior #3.jpg
Alfa Interior #3.jpg (91.61 KiB) Viewed 7101 times
Alfa Interior #2.jpg
Alfa Interior #2.jpg (114.92 KiB) Viewed 7104 times
Alfa Interior #1.jpg
Alfa Interior #1.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 7103 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

really sharp!!! Those seats look very comfortable!!!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nice headliner. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

That's nice!

I wouldn't put that up for more than 5 minutes....I'd be going somewhere / anywhere all the time. At least till my gas money ran out :D .

Scott
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 restoration/modification

Post by cchan »

We totally agree with you. We want to drive it so bad but need to finish some loose ends. So for now, the Alfa is being towed everywhere for the final completion and is not being used as a street car until we fully comply with CA smog/DOT.

We were able to find though John Norman at Alfa Parts new sun visor clips, and windshield nozzles. We installed the new clips so that the sun visors are correct and do not hang down anymore. Hopefully, John can get me the bracket to hold down the hood and the rear window door knobs.

We also found the timing covers and will be installing this shortly since we do not want to have any problems that may occur by not having these installed. Finally, we decided to change the intake tube from Yellow to Black to better match our engine compartment. We will be looking around to find the hardware to install this. Here are some pictures of the progress.
Attachments
Alfa Black Intake tube.jpg
Alfa Black Intake tube.jpg (137.13 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
Alfa windshield jets.jpg
Alfa windshield jets.jpg (77.36 KiB) Viewed 6815 times
Alfa New Timing Belt Covers.jpg
Alfa New Timing Belt Covers.jpg (137.17 KiB) Viewed 6816 times
Alfa interior #6.jpg
Alfa interior #6.jpg (104.22 KiB) Viewed 6819 times
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

CCHAN

Don't know about rear window "door" knobs, but I saw these on ebay a little while back - rear window knobs, used, v. good condition, which did not sell - $15 buy it now. If these are what you are looking for I recommend e-mailing the bidder and offer the BIN price to secure them.

Good luck.

http://tinyurl.com/ypkfmw

David
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Cchan , have you got all the rest of the pieces to put the timing cover on. Should be three other pieces which go on sides and top. I have those pieces but not the the cover and will probably stay that way for another race season. Earlier in the post i mentioned a chap got a stone in his belts which led to drama but I did not not mention this was a front wheel drive GTA where it is far easier to pickup a stone from the wheels. The more I look at it the more impossible it is to get a stone into the belts if the 24v motor is mounted into 116 series. Its usually the small washer or nut that drops down when working carelessly that will catch you out.
If you put all the top covers on what about the bottom ones around the pulley?
Speaking of coolant bottles, the last three brand new ones I bought from Alfa lasted exactly fifteen minutes (on three seperate GTV's). As soon as the water got hot it melted the crappy glue on the seam and sprayed out.
I did notice these new bottles were made differently to the origional ones as the seam was butt jointed and an overlap joint like on the old ones.
I dont know who Alfa subcontracted to, to make these but it was a total disaster for the big batch that came to S.A. Hence i use the ugly out of place 164 bottles.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

A few people have PM me on what is needed to put the timing covers on. Hopefully this pic comes out clearly showing all the labelled bits. I just took the cover off for belt tension inspection. This cover can only be removed without removing water pipes if you use short bolts to hold the cover on around the thermostat area. The other loose pieces on the engine are from another 24v ie the aluminium bracket that goes around the thermostat housing.
Attachments
camcover.jpg
camcover.jpg (115.19 KiB) Viewed 6688 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Another pic of 4 joins to 5 below.
Attachments
camcover2.jpg
camcover2.jpg (85.81 KiB) Viewed 6693 times
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Cam cover

Post by bteoh »

Great pics Kevin.

Looks like I'm missing quite a few parts. I wonder if they are still readily available?
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Never got back to here to see the finished product-

she's beautiful CChan- I hope you get as much enjoyment from driving it as most of us have from watching you restore it. Awesome work

J
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restoration

Post by cchan »

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the post. I am still here. We went to the Palo Alto Concours and I almost drove my Alfa. We lost the Steering wheel extention so I am now going to put the stock steering wheel for now. We did the drive in my buddies GTV on Sat but had a minor problem so we finished in my Mercedes. Now I remember why I don't use my Alfa for my Daily transport. Anyway, he showed his duetto and actually won 3rd prize for his class.

We will be bringing the Alfa to Montery History Races and we may show it at one of the events. Just need to get the Speedo and tach working. We re stuck on what is the best way to complete this. We are curently still deciding. Your video of your burn out was my inspiration and the Alfa definately can do this in 1st gear without droping the clutch.

We are going to put 1000 miles on the restoration before I do any dramatic driving but once Phill completes the dyno tune and final mapping were done. We will definately share this part with the Forum as we are now at the point where where wondering if the result were worth it. So Far, All I can do is smile as the Before and After photos are night and day.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I have speedo issues too right now- I'm looking at a Jaycar style elctronic speedo which takes it s reading from the rear wheel hub....

How often does your mate drive his GTV6? These cars, driven often, and enthusiastically, ie not constantly thrashed, seem to be fine for me. Electrical gremlins are the only reoccurring, real problem... my electrician mate refuses to touch cars at all!... wonder how many JDs I will have to get into him to change his mind!?! Eh!? POssibly a few for an Alfa (he's a GM guy)

Well if I inspired you, you've certainly done likewise for me- I've gotten started on my savings for the car, and hoepfully, will have the bodywork underway around year's end. Possible colour change, and not sure which body route I will take. Either stay the Zender or go back to the GP. Will do as you with RS components and see what sort of big brake goodies I can salvage from around here- plenty of Sti and Evo Brembo setups about at the wreckers, and once I have the interior sorted, I will upgrade the simple old Haltech to something new, and possibly pass some cash Greg Gordon's way!

Enjoy that car, mate, it is stunning

Cheers
J
Fixing it bit by bit....
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restoration/Modification

Post by cchan »

Hi Jules,

His Alfa is a GTV not a GTV6. It is set up for racing and has been stripped down, roll cage, racing seats, dash, etc. It was electrical problems that did us in. Grounding issue.

Good luck with your restoration and it does appear that Greg's supercharger maybe cheaper to do. Too bad we are in California or we would have looked at this option harder.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

CCHAN

Has your GTV-6 been smogged yet? Or have you decided to register her in some other fashion?

Everybody is curious to know the smog results, I'm sure.....

Thanks.

David