Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

Post by Zamani »

I think the 15" Alfa wheels are not suitable for Chan's car, from an aesthetic point of view. IMHO, this car needs 16" wheels with a similar design to the current wheels on it. Remember that the road wheels are going to be on the car most of the time, so I think it's important the wheels that go on match the current look of the car.
Dr. Alban
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Zamani,

I think you are correct about the wheels. I will wait to see if I want to spend more $ on wheels. Right now, I am happy with the restoration.

I have been so busy with everything that my project was stuck. It took awhile to figure out the tach and the speedo. I spoke with Phil and he said that everything is ok and all the electrical issues are done now.

Hopefully, I will get the GTV6 back this week and I will post pictures and how we dealt with the final electrical issues. The Alfa should be 100% restored with all systems online and functioning properly.

The only issue left is the engine shroud cover. We can not locate some of the pieces. Therefore, does anyone have any good condition old ones. I really want to button this up so that I will not have to worry about driving without it. We know we were not able to bring the GTV6 to any of the events this year but we will be there at the next years events. We even joined Alfa Romeo Association SF. :D
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

Today was a good day finishing the Alfa. Phil brought the Alfa back to the warehouse last week and I was able to drive it today. I drove about 80 miles and it was great. We were able to get the temporary registration again. We passed smog today and the Alfa is offically registered in CA. :D
Attachments
Alfa Smog #2.JPG
Alfa Smog #2.JPG (28.18 KiB) Viewed 6884 times
Alfa Smog #1.JPG
Alfa Smog #1.JPG (22.57 KiB) Viewed 6884 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

The Tach was fixed and we needed to get a special tack adapter, signal interface, and custom made the hook up. It is so much easier driving the Alfa with a Tach and we now realied that the Alfa sounds like it is reving alot higher than it really is.

We also fixed the Speedo by following some of the directions that were giving to us online with some tweaks. We purchased the speedo amp and custom made this to work as well. It is about 5 miles too high but we will adjust this as we go. There are adjustments on the speedo amp so this is just fine tuning. Could not take a picture of the custom tach set up since it is behind the tach and I did not want to pull it apart just yet.
Attachments
Alfa Speedo Sensors.JPG
Alfa Speedo Sensors.JPG (25.06 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

We also had a new custom bracket made for the Alternator. The original one failed and caused the last breakdown after the dyno but this one is much stronger and hopefully better designed.
Attachments
Alfa new Alternator Bracket.JPG
Alfa new Alternator Bracket.JPG (37.55 KiB) Viewed 6873 times
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

wow, your car looks very nice :shock:

i'm rather surprised that you have so much troubles with your tach and rev counter?

i will face thesame problems soon and i thought it was a piece of cake :roll:
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

We also switched to the new steering wheel from my stock wheel and the Horn actually works.

We needed to make a custom mount so that the brake lights would work. When we changed to the spyder master cylinder and new pedals, there was about 1 1/2 inches of space between the pedal and the switch. Therefore, we need to adjust this so I could pass the brake inspection.

We also changed from the yellow intake to the black intake so that the engine would not have so many different colors. Finally, we cleaned up the wiring harness so everything looks as factory stock as possible.
Attachments
Alfa New Steering Wheel.JPG
Alfa New Steering Wheel.JPG (19.85 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Alfa Custom Brake Mount.JPG
Alfa Custom Brake Mount.JPG (22.13 KiB) Viewed 6853 times
Alfa New Intake Tube.JPG
Alfa New Intake Tube.JPG (28.44 KiB) Viewed 6855 times
Alfa Final harness.JPG
Alfa Final harness.JPG (24.7 KiB) Viewed 6854 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

We also installed the reinforcement brackets for the front sway bar so that it will be properly reinforced and hopefully not tear when we are under speed.

Lastly, we were able to source new windshield wipers for the Alfa. We were going to put caps but we thought this would look better. Of course, we really won't be driving in the rain.

This is were were are as of today. Still need to complete some minor electrical stuff such as the mirrors and complete a final detail of the Alfa. :D :) :D
Attachments
Alfa Reinforcement Swaybar #1.JPG
Alfa Reinforcement Swaybar #1.JPG (23.59 KiB) Viewed 6856 times
Alfa Reinforcement Swaybar #2.JPG
Alfa Reinforcement Swaybar #2.JPG (19.18 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
Alfa New Windshield Wipers.JPG
Alfa New Windshield Wipers.JPG (19.44 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

cchan wrote:The Tach was fixed and we needed to get a special tack adapter, signal interface, and custom made the hook up.
Hi Charles:

Nice work - seems your car is done then?
Do you have more specifics on what was needed to get the tach working?

Thanks,
Michael
1981 GTV6
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Mike,

Yes, we are done except for some really small electrical issues. Alfa is being stored now for the winter. Cann't believe we started in 9/06. What exactly would you like to know?
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Stored for winter? In the Bay area? Heck now is the best driving weather...Cool enough to keep from overheating and less tourist traffic. :D
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Mr2 zig,

Storage was the wrong word. I meant to say it is parked with our other projects. We have access to it but have to move some equipment to drive it. We still can detail, etc in it parking area.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

Were back and we have pulled out the Alfa for the Summer. Drove it from the Warehouse to my home and it is running well. We brought it to the M3 event with our Friend who just bought a New M6 and we had alot of fun. The Alfa was having some rear end noise so we brought it to our Friends station and we jacked it up to inspect it. We know it's an Alfa so we were expecting to have to sort some items since it has really not been driven till now. We need to sort the slipping Steering issue that we were able to get information on another thread.

There is some oil leaking which is really frustrating since the engine was new and sorted. Therefore we just wiped it up and will look at it again. Hoping it was just spilled oil from filling it and/or the oil filter was loose. There is some oil at the pan so I hope it doesn't still leak after the clean up.
Attachments
Unknown Oil Leak rear Pan..JPG
Unknown Oil Leak rear Pan..JPG (23.6 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
Unknown Oil Leak onto Pass side exhaust.JPG
Unknown Oil Leak onto Pass side exhaust.JPG (28.02 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
Unknown Oil Leak from Front of Pass Side Eng..JPG
Unknown Oil Leak from Front of Pass Side Eng..JPG (27.46 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

It appeared that the transmission seal was leaking as well but again we just cleaned it up and are hoping that it was left over from filling it last year. We cann't understand why it would leak since this is suppose to be a brand new rebuild so the gaskets should not fail.
Attachments
Minor Transmission Leak.JPG
Minor Transmission Leak.JPG (27.71 KiB) Viewed 6473 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

The noise was from the exhaust system. The rubber O ring hanger had melted due to the heat of the exhaust pipe. We are looking for one that will withstand heat so it will not fail again. We found one in the rear and I was hoping that maybe someone knows were to get one. I still need to put in the flex joints for the exhaust system along with the flange joints so that we don't have to weld it off everytime we need to service the Alfa.
Attachments
Center Exhaust Hanger broke due to heat.JPG
Center Exhaust Hanger broke due to heat.JPG (32.06 KiB) Viewed 6472 times
Alfa Rear Exhaust Hanger (Special material).JPG
Alfa Rear Exhaust Hanger (Special material).JPG (40.66 KiB) Viewed 6470 times