Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
esperan
Silver
Silver

me

Post by esperan »

hi im Esperan. I now live in Perth Australia, formerly from South Africa.
when i moved here i left my gtv6 3.3L in South Africa for a year before i went back to ship it off to perth.just prior to me picking the car up i had the 6 carbs removed & fuel injected the car. the car ran pretty well for a few kilometers but a knock dev in the motor. thought it was a loose tappet but was not. evidently the guy in SA that did the block assembly forgot to fit the circlip at the end of the gudgeon pin, causing it to come loose,damage the piston & score the bore! evrything went downhill from there.the replacement bore/piston was impossible to get or thats the way the boys from SA made it. eventually i removed the 3.3L engine with its 98mmforged pistons,corello rods,hot cams etc & replaced it with a pretty stock 3.oL 12v engine. car runs fantastic & have had 10k hassle free motoring.car doesnt have the power that it once had infact its a bit of a snail compared to before.i still have the 3.3L motor maby when i have the time ill rebuild it.
the car looks pretty standard excpt it has the adj autodelta front susp. i have lowered the back as well. it has the std compomotive 3 pce rims that the original 3.0L gtv6 came with in SA.
i will post a picture soon
its good to see so may people out there still owning & enjoying driving their gtv6's
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Welcome to the board, hope you enjoy your stay here.

How long have you lived in Australia? and why Perth?
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Welcome esperan, that 3.3 ltr carby V6 sounds great, you've got to rebuid it sometime, plus the autodelta front suspension, what are the differences, just thicker torsion and sway bar(s)? how do you adjust them, have you got the twin brake caliper set up aswell? Sounds like an interesting GTV, whats the history behind it. Any pics would be great

Matt
esperan
Silver
Silver

run down of my pride & joy

Post by esperan »

matt wrote:Welcome esperan, that 3.3 ltr carby V6 sounds great, you've got to rebuid it sometime, plus the autodelta front suspension, what are the differences, just thicker torsion and sway bar(s)? how do you adjust them, have you got the twin brake caliper set up aswell? Sounds like an interesting GTV, whats the history behind it. Any pics would be great

Matt
Hi Matt

the torsion bars are thicker.they are fully adjustable..all u need to do is jack the front wheels off the ground, go on your creeper armed with a 17 spanner & adj the bolt in or out to the desired ride height...a 2 minute job!!!
My braking system is pretty std, I think an upgrade pretty soon will be appropriate.
when the car first came to Oz it had a 3.3L inj motor(took the carbs off just before it left South Africa.the car sounded much deeper & heavier with carbs...EFI gives it a sharper higher pitch sound.the exhaust is made up of 23 little stainless steel pieces welded together starting off at 65mm & ending at 75mm! sounds very wild!
the car is now fitted with a std 3.0L with group N cams..still pretty lively not nowhere as quick as the 3.3 was...just an eg of performance..it made a Commodore 5.7L SS look stupid from one trafic light to the next.the limted slip helps with that regard as he was busy spinning wheels while i was off!
exterior the car looks fantastic..only has one little bubble around back windscreen..have removed the moulding on door..it makes the car look lower than it actually is.Of course it has the huge power bulge on the bonnet that the South African GTV6 3.0L came with.
It still has the orig 3pce compomotive rims with the wider one at the back.

Interior is in pristine condition..all original except for steering wheel which is really small.it has a good quality sound system with two 12" subs & 2 large amps.(sound system only used when engine switched off...alfa engine makes the best music!!)

the car has now clocked 10 ooo km since the rebuild & runs really well.it gives me roughly 9.5 km to the litre fuel consumption (combined cycle) or around 600km on 55L of fuel.something it never did with the 3.3L motor(350 km for 55L)..all in all im very happy with the car.

I always service the car every 5000kms(oil change) & 10000 (spark plugs-golden lodge).Car doesnt take a drop of oil so to speak.

i will post some pictures pretty soon

till then happy motoring
esperan
Last edited by esperan on Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Hey Esperan - welcome!

Pretty crappy deal with the motor - sorry. Not to burn anyone here but maybe we can help out to fix the 3.3 again... Who was it that did the last rebuild on it?

Is the motor still in SA? Where?
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
esperan
Silver
Silver

Post by esperan »

junglejustice wrote:Hey Esperan - welcome!

Pretty crappy deal with the motor - sorry. Not to burn anyone here but maybe we can help out to fix the 3.3 again... Who was it that did the last rebuild on it?

Is the motor still in SA? Where?
hey buddy

dont want to mention names as its now water under the bridge but they are people probably close to you or whom you deal with.
The guy in Pretoria( they did the complete block assembly) & he also supplied the alfa 75 heads. the guy in Durban just put the heads & fuel inj in & stuck the engine into the car for me( in my presence so to speak).

the motor is here in australia(perth) just collecting dust.I still have the other pistons,heads,cams,corillo rods etc.all i need to to rebuild is ----two 98 mm forged pistons & one aluminium/titanium sleeveto suit

If ur from South africa....ask Stuart Kidgell about what occured as he tried to help me out as well...(I bought the car originally from him in 1998.

thanks for the concern
rgds
Esperan
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Esperan,
Nice to see another gtv6 alfisti here in Perth. Maybe we can get some of the guys here in Perth to meet up and compare notes on the gtv6. I think one of the guys here goes out to Barbagallo Raceway on tuning days for a bit of fun. Let me know and we'll try to tee up a meeting one of these days. Cheers, Brian
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Could be another GTV6 about to pop up in Perth. I am thinking moving there next year from N.Z. (also ex S.A boy). .Will be over to look around at christmas.
Tom
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

The big ol tax breaks calling your name Tom?
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

No not the tax breaks , but the warmer climate ... these old bones dont like the cold ... :oops:
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Hope it all goes well for you Tom. Sounds like a nice place!