Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: GTV6 Zender

Post by PietereQ »

It's been quite a while, and since my gtv6 was grounded since May after spectacular halfshaft snap. Yet that was a perfect opportunity to sort out few things in the rear end.
And it all started because of this:

All 6x M10 bolts (diff flange to CV joint) just let go, leaving me with flying rotor and a broken rear caliper...

Since my rear donut was far from "fair condition" i decided to pull entire dedion out, ordered new mounts, donut (one of the previous owners installed the small alfetta type front tranny mounts leading to donut flex/vibration)

Since the tranny was out it was a "good opportunity" to change the brake hoses, I finally ended up with Goodridge

New Donut and CV joints, the latter appeared to be good for 4 stud versions, so had to turn them back...

The car stood like this for weeks due to lack of time/motivation combined, but finally I have shown her mercy :D

As the old tranny wasn't in perfect shape (it later appeared it was an alfetta tranny) a Milano 2,5 transmission (4,1 final) was rebuilt and adapted for non iso setup. Had a bit of work with adapting the car to poprer, former layout (clutch, master, etc. instead of repeating myself check out the link: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3167 ) Filled her with Motul Gear 300 transmission oil if i recall correctly.

New transmission and (& rotors, pads - greenstuff caliper seals etc.) on EasyFit(TM) platform :)

Stabilisers, watt linkages, crosmember, etc, sandblasted and powdercoated.

Rear end fitted with 95 Sha polyurethane bushings, to make things a bit firmer

Alfa also got new custom ordered rear springs since old (Bilsetins??) sagged pretty bad.

I have also upgraded stock alternator with Alfa 164 unit. Which by the way required a bit more fabrication than I have anticipated.

That's more or less like it is now. The car runs again, but didn't have time to make some proper photos.
Ahhh and What difference it makes to drive these cars with rebuilt transmission. Especially here... cold mornings, 1, shifting to 2nd, being used to good old "crunch" - a bit of hesitation - nothing, silently and firmly, gear shifts into it's gate, same goes to other gears:) And it goes even smoother when tranny's warm, and that music of alfa v6, torque delivery, and power... it's good to be back on the road again :)
Will be visiting track this weekend hope everything goes ok, just need to set the geometry.
And I have finally made up my mind with the destination of the car - gradually she'll be turned into a racer, I hope I'll manage with bucket seats & harness this year, roll cage and RSR kit probably around 2009 on ...:lol:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Wow! I have never seen a half shaft snap on a GTV6. I am glad you took the opportunity to add some upgrades. That's what I usually do.

Greg
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I have never seen the caliper break off like that ! Every single one Ive seen or attended to ripped the studs from the ally housing !
repairable by welding all up again and re doing the hole for the stud .
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

How many kgs are the new rear springs you have ordered. Post some pics of these if you can. What was your main cause of the eneven braking? was it the bushes or shocks ?
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Greg, I didn't make myself clear, I meaned what is shown in the second pic from top, snapped bolts ie. flying hafshaft & rotor, sorry for misunderstanding.

Kevin here are the pics of springs. I gave them my old springs to reproduce new ones. Afair they were around 40kg. Didn't want to go further with really soft front, and these will be here temporairly as soon as RSR system goes in :twisted:
Attachments
DSC00925.JPG
DSC00925.JPG (49.07 KiB) Viewed 8440 times
DSC00924.JPG
DSC00924.JPG (47.97 KiB) Viewed 8442 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Pieter,

SO basically the halfshaft didn't shear. Just the 6 bolts on the rotor side right? It happened to me too. I was on my way to my mechanic's, then on the way I keep on hearing grinding sound when I accelerate. When I arrive the sound was quite bad. Turned out to be sheared bolts.
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The developments in this topic has just given me an idea.

We love our cars and usually carry out repairs in a quiet way not making too much of a fuss about it thinking we must have been unlucky or that no one else has had the same defect.

The failures in this topic are unusual and I was thinking, should we develop a topic set about "Serious Defects Experienced" which if we share the information could forewarn others about potential problems down the track and perhaps do something to ensure that it does not come about? A bit like preventative maintenance or re-engineering.

I think it would suprising just what owners have experienced which is a SERIOUS defect.

What do you think ?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Good idea but it could go off at a tangent. So once we got info coming it must be summarised with defect, possible causes and solutions. Maybe under each topic there should be this same thread so someone looking for defect in steering bush does not have to search brakes etc. I think this should now go to other to discuss this so it does not build on to this thread.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

MD wrote:The developments in this topic has just given me an idea.

We love our cars and usually carry out repairs in a quiet way not making too much of a fuss about it thinking we must have been unlucky or that no one else has had the same defect.

The failures in this topic are unusual and I was thinking, should we develop a topic set about "Serious Defects Experienced" which if we share the information could forewarn others about potential problems down the track and perhaps do something to ensure that it does not come about? A bit like preventative maintenance or re-engineering.

I think it would suprising just what owners have experienced which is a SERIOUS defect.

What do you think ?
Wow my gtv6 voted as a black sheep of reliability in gtv6 world :mrgreen: Generally good idea MD but keep in mind that my car bore signs of MANY unproffesional repairs, and it's ogiginality (mechanical concerned here) was very discussuve. And now after nearly 3 years I brought the car to it's proper performance. To make things short, mine isn't a representative example, due to forementioned faults.

ANYWAY,

Just returned from a 2 day event (trackday & autocross combined), and gtv6 did GREAT :) BMW chaps couldn't say the same :lol: I won 2 races in my class so I'm very happy, new transmission, refreshed rear suspension, semislicks did great. Now need to write to santa to get that rsr kit :lol: Will post pics soon
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Few more. Umm after 2 days of racing, the transaxle snubber went through the tunnel inside the cabin :shock: Does it happen often, when car is sportily abused? Now under hard launches the guibo hits the tunnel :x
Attachments
dscf1820zo8.jpg
dscf1820zo8.jpg (246.08 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
IS_tn_DSCF1959.jpg
IS_tn_DSCF1959.jpg (129.14 KiB) Viewed 8206 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

What is a snubber? Is it the rubber stop on the chassis pointed towards the transaxle? If that is the one, never seen that happen before. But there's always a first time :D
Dr. Alban
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. I found term "snubber" long time ago on Greg's page so I took it for granted :) Anyway, as far as first times are concerned, I hope my gtv6 has already depleted it's limit :lol:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Personally, I would go easy on the hard launches. Even on the start grid i never drop the clutch(mainly because I have to much grip on slicks). Once your gearbox mounts are drilled the gearbox wont 'jump about' as much and make the noise in the tunnel. When the GTV6 was first launched here in 1982, the Car test journalist made a note of this strange sound in the tunnel on a brand new car on hard pull offs so its definately not your car only.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

kevin wrote:Personally, I would go easy on the hard launches. Even on the start grid i never drop the clutch(mainly because I have to much grip on slicks). Once your gearbox mounts are drilled the gearbox wont 'jump about' as much and make the noise in the tunnel. When the GTV6 was first launched here in 1982, the Car test journalist made a note of this strange sound in the tunnel on a brand new car on hard pull offs so its definately not your car only.
Sorry for sluggerish reply - Kevin i have removed the bolts from the mounts due to increased vibration - i'll adress that later - must be inbalanced or bent driveshaft.

This should do it I guess as far as snubber is concerned:
Attachments
And, No, the nut is not welded to the chassis, just the bracket ;P
And, No, the nut is not welded to the chassis, just the bracket ;P
ABCD0013.JPG (59.64 KiB) Viewed 8054 times