Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Last batch of snaps.

Post by rhodes1 »

In the last snap can be seen the new stainless steel radiator which has almost 40% more cabacity and will hopefully keep the Alfa running cool. We've also added a low thermostat switch.
Attachments
gtv61111.jpg
gtv61111.jpg (108.1 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
gtv61112.jpg
gtv61112.jpg (146.02 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
gtv61113.jpg
gtv61113.jpg (153.46 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
Martin De'Campo's Callaway
Martin De'Campo's Callaway
martin1.jpg (73.66 KiB) Viewed 7732 times
martin2.jpg
martin2.jpg (68.19 KiB) Viewed 7730 times
Charlie DiMarco
Silver
Silver

Post by Charlie DiMarco »

Richard,
How are you? What's the latest on this project?

Keep the revs up,
Charlie
Serpent Autosport
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Holding pattern

Post by rhodes1 »

Ha ha. Where does one begin. Called Historic Race Engineering on January 19th...car was to be done on the 1st. Didn't hear back for a week. When I rang again I was told they had not touched it for a month. I was understandably bent over this. Paid additional money for custom parts and not completed. New deadline is February 15th. They were having trouble with the new Mazda 3 ac system. Ordinarily I would not bother, but you know how hot it gets here in August/September.

I am a bit to blame as I have been very firm on "do it all" I don't want the Callaway back until everything is complete, it's been tested and tested again. Which adds delays, but still one month and no work did frustrate me. I do have total confidence in Historic Race, but don't like being bumped by the twin-turbo Lambos so much.

I plan to get down there on Feb 5th to see the project and hopefully they've made progress. It is the little things that hold off the completion such as the new fuse box (new old part), interior trim, mating the new fuel filler with the original tank, custom quilted engine pad, just so much custom work to sort.

Hopefully the wait will be well worth it.

Best wishes,

RW
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

"Callaway Update

Post by rhodes1 »

Coming along slowly <sigh>. Made it down to Costa Mesa in my daily driver, 1999 S-500 Lorinzer and spotted Martin de Campo's Callaway #1 parked right next to me.

Went in and was pleased to see the Callaway motor is mostly done and we even fired it up. Quite a moment after not having heard the motor run for two years! Still some tiddying up of the wires and installation of the air filter but that is about it under the bonnet.

The steering rack leaks (even though it was rebuilt as an out-source) so out it comes for a second rebuild. We've got a lot of re-install of wiring and components in the dash (although this was done once already during the recover of the dash) and then just put on the new wheels and some road testing and final tuning.

I am hoping that by mid-July it'll be ready to roll out of Historic Race Engineering to head back up north to Marina Del Rey.

A few snaps, engine bay, still needing the wiring wrapped a placed here and there, but the light at the end of the tunnel is visible. Note the new engine pad, custom made and fitted, using fire proof quillted material. Neato.

Cheers,

RW.
Attachments
Fireup6web.jpg
Fireup6web.jpg (122.02 KiB) Viewed 7148 times
Fireup4web.jpg
Fireup4web.jpg (92.23 KiB) Viewed 7150 times
Fireup3web.jpg
Fireup3web.jpg (109.3 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
Fireup1web.jpg
Fireup1web.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
Fireup5web.jpg
Fireup5web.jpg (70.91 KiB) Viewed 7153 times
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

that is some pretty work :shock:
is that greg armstrong's work?
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Yes...

Post by rhodes1 »

...Greg has had the car in his shop since February 2007 when I was told the job would take two months. We are now in our 16th month. He works sloooow but he had promised to return what is for all intent and purposes a new car.

Cheers,

R.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

How did I miss this thread? The car looks great, I am sure it will really fly. Greg Armstrong knows his stuff!

What engine management system is that? How much boost is it going to have? I notice you are keeping the air to air intercooler. I seem to remember Greg Armstrong converted the standard Callaway intercooler to a liquid to air unit on Martin's car.

Greg Gordon
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Ditto !!! How on earth did I miss this all ??!! Very nice work.. :shock: :D :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg Armstrong likes Electromotive. I think this car must have the TEC-3.
Dr. Alban
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

System.

Post by rhodes1 »

Sorry, been a bit since I visited. The fuel managment system is mega-squirt. Progress is very, very slow due to almost everything being custom built. Wiring harness was in a bit of a sad state so replaced it all. Working on the lighting system which, of course was not so easy either. Osram lamps, and accessing the wiring behind the lamp housings is a bit snug. Was down having a look over it this morning and did not bother to take photographs as it is just ugly in the engine bay at the moment.

Cheers,

R.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Hello, newish GTV6 Owner in Los Angels

Post by kevin »

Hi R, good to see progress is be been made. I often read this thread and In the specs you mentioned shankle camber adjusters. have you got a pic or a link to explain what that is. The Callaway GTV is an absolute icon for us here in South Africa as we only saw pics of these 'Super Alfas' . Look forward to see more pics.
Cheers
Kevin
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

April "Callaway" Update

Post by rhodes1 »

Lots of progress to report. I was out of the country for ages and only yesterday stopped down to Historic Race Engineering to visit Greg Armstrong and see progress being made. Happy to report he requested current registration and insurance so we could road test the Alfa Romeo.
engine134.jpg
engine134.jpg (174.8 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
The motor fires up on the first go, compression is excellent and ticks along very nicely. Car is filthy but will clean up nicely. Still got loads of wire clean up in the engine bay, but all else is in place. Power steering added works a treat as well as the Mazda air conditioning system. The HRE rims and tyres have been mounted, but were pulled again to lower the car. Even with all the fluids in it was sitting too high and did not offer an aggressive stance.
brakes.jpg
brakes.jpg (145.61 KiB) Viewed 6679 times
The brakes come from a Porsche 911 and have brilliant stopping power. Did some local street driving and was good fun, the twin turbos have a very good bolt but did not have the opportunity to take it on the toll road. Greg will be doing that today and tomorrow to test for any final tweaking.
alfaapril1.jpg
alfaapril1.jpg (136.67 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
What's left to do? Loads of little items. The windows operate but are slow, will sort this. Also need a good amount of tidying up on the interior panels and touch up spots on the subframe where bits of the original red paint are revealed. Reinstall of navigation headunit and that tighten the sunroof material which had sagged. That's it.

I shall be conducting a detailed interview with Greg to discuss everything he did to make this GTV6 roadworthy and shall post as I go.

Cheers,

R.
Attachments
enginebay136.jpg
enginebay136.jpg (161.46 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
enginepadding.jpg
enginepadding.jpg (137.91 KiB) Viewed 6682 times
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Post by rhodes1 »

Two snaps of what is going on in the boot. The custom bass box, amp, navi unit and aux fire extinguisher.

Still scruffy back there, but will get it all sorted and cleaned up.

Here is an image of the HRE rims and tyres. It is not sitting on the ground but on the lift and will seat much better when the car is lowered.
rims32.jpg
rims32.jpg (113.84 KiB) Viewed 6663 times
Attachments
boot2.jpg
boot2.jpg (215.83 KiB) Viewed 6675 times
boot1.jpg
boot1.jpg (139.99 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
rhodes1
Gold
Gold

Re: Callaway Road Test

Post by rhodes1 »

The end is near. I actually had the opportunity to drive the Callaway today on the freeway for the first time in nearly three years. I had a blast. Still loads of short list items, mostly related to tiddying up.

A few iPhone photos.
Attachments
AlfaRoadTest1.jpg
AlfaRoadTest1.jpg (214.28 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
AlfaRoadTest2.jpg
AlfaRoadTest2.jpg (254.32 KiB) Viewed 6573 times
AlfaRoadTest3.jpg
AlfaRoadTest3.jpg (196.14 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
AlfaRoadTest4.jpg
AlfaRoadTest4.jpg (220.51 KiB) Viewed 6575 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Lovely car. :)

German looking license plate marked Great Britain but you're located in LA? huh? :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!