Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
michiganmilano
Silver
Silver

Just bought my first Alfa Romeo

Post by michiganmilano »

Hello,

I just purchased my first Alfa Romeo. It is a grey 1987 silver edition Milano with 80,000 reported miles. I am very excited about this car, because I have loved italian cars all of my life and have been waiting to own one. Other cars I considered were the gtv6, and the Lancia Scorpion (MonteCarlo) and the Beta Coupe. Of course there were other cars I desired but they were prohibitively expensive, or never made it to the U.S.A.

Everything I read about the gtv6 and the 75 made me want one of them. From the rear suspension/ transaxle/ inboard brake setup to the unique styling, all alloy v6 with the pushrod activated exhaust valves and that awesome sound. I poked around this site, and the old one for years, seeing what these cars are capable of and what you guys are doing to them,watching incar videos that some of you posted, and I couldn't get over that sound. I would go through periods where I thought I wanted the gtv6 over the 75, then I would bounce back and like the 75 more, I guess it didn't matter to me which one I got.

It was an Ebay purchase, and went very smooth. I bought the car in New York and drove it back to Michigan no problem. No leaks or smoke. The car is in pretty decent shape, some visible rust issues, around the rear quarter panel where it meets behind rear door. It grinds into second, needs an alignment, and that little electronic control panel even gives me a wacky light show while I drive,telling me that everything is wrong and that the doors are opening and closing. But that only happens when the headlights are on. Even though the car has issues, it still drives pretty tight. The interior is in really good condition.

I was so happy when I drove it, the handling is predictable, and neutral. I am really looking forward to speaking with you Alfisti and hopefully with your suggestions and comments my Milano restoration and ownership will be a very positive one.

Thank You,
Michael
'87 silver edition milano
michiganmilano
Silver
Silver

Post by michiganmilano »

don't have any pics yet.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Welcome to the Alfa Incurable Diseases Ward. Bed 17 has been assigned to you. We have been waitig for you to arrive. What took you so long? :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

ah the beginning of a live long obsession. you know once you get a whiff of burnt oil you will never go back. nah really buddy well done and hope you enjoy your fine automobile.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
michiganmilano
Silver
Silver

Post by michiganmilano »

Haha, thanks MD, and yes patzo I don't think I can see myself parting with it now. I will try and snap some pics. The car was originally Champagne color (it shows in engine bay) and was resprayed in silver. The car had random Alfa badges on it too. A "veloce" badge on front grill and a "sport sedan" badge on back, took them both off, need a Milano badge now, I saw some on Ebay. The car has pieces that came off other Milanos. A trunklid off a 3.0, with the spoiler (crusty), 15 inch "phone dial" wheels, need refurbishing, with 225s (!!?) that rub inside of fenders when I do slow turns. Ansa exhaust (rusty but not rusted through), says milano in green on dash, not white.

I was told this was the lightest version of the Milano for the U.S. No sunroof, no abs. I am so surprised at how comfortable and supportive the stock seats are.

First thing getting replaced are the tired suspension pieces/bushings and some new brake rotors. Too bad this car has no limited slip.

I am going to take pics of some questionable areas of the car to see what you guys think. The jacking points below the rear side skirts frame rail don't look totally straight.

I was washing the car and what a soft roof it has, the whole thing feels like it can pop down when you press on it. Also, a little water leaks from below driver side dash, to the right of the pedals in hard rain. No wonder previous owner had rubber mats up front.

The car isn't as bad as it sounds, I'm just reporting the areas that need help. Oh yes, the engine sounds sweet! I have a new fix.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I have some badges that you might want if you plan to go that route.
They came off the trunk of my platinum parts car. I used the trunk to make a mold and I dont plan to put them back on.
I think I have the Milano badge as well as the 2.5 V6 badge. If you want them, you can have them.

One more note about the silver, AFAIK it is the only model in the US with the non electric mirrors. More weight savings, I immagine. Congratulations on the new obsession.
michiganmilano
Silver
Silver

Post by michiganmilano »

Thanks Zambon. The only badge I need is the "milano" badge, all the others are there, the previous owner decided to add these other script badges. Also do other milanos have an armrest compartment? There was also a model-specific big plastic storage container/lid in the trunk, that says "Milano". Seller told me it was a rare option, is that true?
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I have seen trunk storage items on ebay before, although I have never seen one in person. I dont think that these parts are common at all.
As for the arm rest, I am not really sure. All the Milanos I have seen had a padded rest with the compartment underneith.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

MD wrote:Welcome to the Alfa Incurable Diseases Ward. Bed 17 has been assigned to you. We have been waitig for you to arrive. What took you so long? :D
*cough..cough* It will get you...the missus will divorce you,youll lose your job,the mortgage wont be paid....BUT YOULL HAVE A SH*T LOAD OF FUN!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Welcome .... :wink:
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Michiganmilano:

Where are u....I'm in Troy.....85GTV6 with all Verde internals

X
michiganmilano
Silver
Silver

Post by michiganmilano »

Hey x-rad, I'm in Commerce Township. we should meet. You know anything about that place Wheel2wheel in Troy?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

No, never heard of it. But I am sure you will be down to TRAIL AUTO on
Ann Arbor trail to meet Dean, if you have not been there already. This guy has a big lot full of Alfa's, parts, and does mechanical work, too.

PM me and we can set something up...

Later, X