Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Chan,
I will tentatively say yes to the question about the 2.5l bell housing mounting right up to the 3l 24v, as it would appear to be the only way to adapt the motor to the gtv6 chassis. However, I am still waiting to hear a second iteration of this from another person who popped the 24v into a gtv6 (just in case!).
You will need this 4mm spacer, pictured below, to use the stock gtv6 flywheel, and hence the transaxle setup, and also the starter mounts will need to be changed to use the newer started motor. This mod is highlighted here: http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... r&start=30.
Oh sweet, i just found another pic of the gtv6 bellhousing on a 24v motor; posted it below.
Peace,
Vittorio
Attachments
4mm_spacer.jpg
4mm_spacer.jpg (153.14 KiB) Viewed 9262 times
resize_of_gtv-gta_071.jpg
resize_of_gtv-gta_071.jpg (113.74 KiB) Viewed 9262 times
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

hahahahhaha! didnt even realize that pic had.. nevermind.
75 GTA
Gold
Gold

Post by 75 GTA »

...very attractive youg females posters in the back ground :lol:
75 TS Road specs
75 TS Gr N
146 TS
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Yeah, I guess those pictures are in every shop, no matter what country!! hehe :D
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

You should talk to Glenwood Motors about mounting the 164 motor in the Alfetta.
They know what they are doing and each motor they ship comes with the necessary mods to mount straight into GTV6.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i dont want to bother too many people specifically... just the late night net cruisers looking for their alfa fix (like me ) :wink:.
vittorio
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

So.... I went out to the garage today armed with a used Nissan 300zx flywheel and i found out that it bolts right onto the the Alfa crankshaft. Although I am thrilled about that, I also confirmed that the flywheel is a bit larger than the alfa gtv6 flywheel by 5 mm or so. I am hoping that i can have the flywheel machined smaller, without afftecting the friction surface, so I can have the alfa ring gear pressed on. This fortunate series of events would allow me to use the 164 starter sans modification and a 300zx clutch as planned.

Does anyone know if the alfa gtv6 2.5 ring gear is the same as the 164 3l 24v ring gear?

Vittorio
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Sporttuner,

I was just curious, why do you need to use non-alfa flywheel? Are you going to use a different transmission? :?:
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Remember asking me, what's a 350z? I am using a 2003 Nissan 350z 6 speed transmission with the alfa 164 motor. I am moving the gear box to the front and i am going to use a bmw m3 lsd at the rear. The reason why I am simply not using an Alfa 6 speed is that the Nissan transmission was readily available, cheap, and replacement parts and/or service are right around the corner (even if alfa is coming back to america who knows if they will be here to stay!). The Nissan 350z transmission has a huge bellhousing to accomodate an enormous diameter clutch. This is a problem b/c an enourmous flywheel is going to make the fabrication of an adaptor bracket for motor/transmission very difficult, not to mention where to run the passenger side headers when the starter is sticking out another inch or two. This brounght me to the idea of using an early 90s Nissan 300zx clutch with the 350 z transmission. The 300zx has a clutch/flywheel diameter that is only slightly larger than the 164 and it has the same splines and throw out bearing as a 350z transmission (horray Nismo!). In theory it should not be too difficult to work out, but problems may manifest further down the road. Like i said above, perhaps the 300zx flywheel can be machined a few mm smaller to fit the alfa ring gear, in which case i could simply use the alfa starter. This project has an ever increasing potential to start sucking a lot of money out of my bank account, especially if after getting a aluminum flywheel machined to alfa size i run into problems with the trans adaptor.
We will have to see. Already the fact that the 300zx flywheel has the same bolt pattern as the Alfa is encouraging. I thought for sure i would have to have a complete one off flywheel created for like 700$.

let us keep our fingers crossed,
Vittorio
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Vittorio

Take my tip.

No matter how good the outcome of this project it going to be, unless you are planning to blow the bucks as entertainment, you are going to wind up with a very expensive nut and bolt collection.

If it ain't all Alfa, it ain't an Alfa and it has a resale price to match. If this does not trouble you, go for it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Thanks Sportstuner,

Ok, thanks for the info. Cann't wait to see you it goes..

:D
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

MD,
the floor of my car is shot as it is right now... so i am gonna cut it up nomatter what. the 24v was in the plans from the get go... now the plans include a front mount gb. even if i kept the car all alfa, i would prob use it in e prod scca, in which case i probably wouldnt see the investment eithercome resale time... unless i had an illustrious log book or something. the only way to attempt to keep the value high on a gtv6 is to keep it stock or pretend that it is a callaway.
vittorio
ps: if the project fails then i will turn all the nuts and bolts i collected into 'designer chess pieces" and i will sell them for 250$ a set! talk abouit return to investment!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

How do you propose to balance the Nissan flywheel for the Alfa V6 which is externally balanced? You will have to specially modify the crank by converting it to an internally balanced one (Mallory metal slugs installed etc). You're opening up a whole can of worms here!
Jim K.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

OK .
Entertainment it is.
Alfa it isn't.
I can live with that.

Hard to know what level of appreciation of the outcomes everybody has on this site about deviating from the original. Thought I might just stick in a general perception including my specific one.

One Knight with the Queen is saucy and outrageous. Five Knights with the King has the Bishop in a flap. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

i think that when i am satisfied with the fact that everything is fact bolts up then i will send ou the bottom end to be balanced.
vittorio