Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

The 9lb fidanza flywheel arrived on friday along with a spanking new sachs clutch. looks like it will be easy enough to remove the ring gear and turn the flywheel down. i will measure the flywheel and rign gear and use the fidanza interference specs for reinstallment. it is a pretty sweet setup! now all i need to do is snap some pics. check back tomorrow.
Vittorio
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

tah dah!
Attachments
notice the 3 bolts that fidanza uses to secure the ring gear
notice the 3 bolts that fidanza uses to secure the ring gear
IMG_0631.JPG (51.12 KiB) Viewed 14486 times
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG (64.69 KiB) Viewed 14485 times
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG (51.37 KiB) Viewed 14485 times
from  left to right: gtv6, oem 300zx, fidanza
from left to right: gtv6, oem 300zx, fidanza
IMG_0633.JPG (54.54 KiB) Viewed 14485 times
gtv6 flywheel ontop of 300zx fidanza wheel
gtv6 flywheel ontop of 300zx fidanza wheel
IMG_0637.JPG (68.34 KiB) Viewed 14486 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hi Sporttuner,
Looking at your new parts and I am confused. Are you going to use the Alfa flywheel but put on the ring gear of the fidanza flywheel by modification. Or are you going to use the fidanza flywheel and modify it to attach the the alfa crank shaft? I know your going to use a 350Z transmission so I think you will need a larger diam. flywheel to use the new transmission along with your sach clutch. Very interesting changing your trans to the front.

Thanks for the additional info :wink:
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Hey chan,
I am loving your rebuild- very thorough!
The 350z transmission has a huge diameter bellhousing, flywheel, and clutch. They are so large, in fact, that when bolted to the alfa motor crankshaft they would completely cover the original bolt holes for the bellhousing/transmission on the alfa 164 motor. This is a problem because i need to bolt a 1/2-4/3 inch thick piece of aluminum to the motor which will adapt the bolt pattern of the alfa bell housing to the nissan 350z transmission. This brought about the need to use a smaller diameter flywheel and clutch that was still compatible with the 350z transmission. I found the 300zx non turbo (90-96) to be the appropriate smaller diameter. It has the same bolt pattern as the alfa crankshaft and it has the same splines an throwout bearing as the 350z transmission.
Ill post more pics of the alfa motor with the flywheel bolted to it. it is hard to explain!
Vittorio
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

just to finish the breakdown: the 300zx flywheel will be cut down on a lathe and the the alfa romeo ring gear will be installed.
v
Last edited by Sporttunergtv6 on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Hello Sporttuner,

Ok, I'll wait for the pictures since your going into unknown area at least to me. I was reading online that when you go with alot of HP the weak part of the Alfa GTV6 is the transmission and this is why the SA's put the transmission up front for the "Fastest Alfa in SA". Therefore, I am assuming that this is why you are doing this conversion. Makes sense to me but then again, I am new to Automotive Engineering with the Alfa so I could be wrong.

Thanks for watching my project. My first attempt on actually doing work myself rather than just leasing new cars is my Old Alfa Project. I am building a Show Street car that I may take on the track for Club events only. However, in the future, I may build a track only car depending on how my Show Street car goes.

Looking foward to seeing your next set up pictures. :D
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

well here are some pictures of a 2.5l gtv6 engine block with the unmodified oem 300zx flywheel partially bolted to it (only 3 out of the 8 bolts). you might be able to notice that the ring gear interferes with the bolt pattern of the bellhousing. the adaptor plate for the transmission should be pretty simple, but i have to drive the motor and transmission 3 hours away to the shop in upstate new york.
vittorio
Attachments
IMG_0639.JPG
IMG_0639.JPG (72.06 KiB) Viewed 14435 times
IMG_0640.JPG
IMG_0640.JPG (58.11 KiB) Viewed 14435 times
IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0641.JPG (72.61 KiB) Viewed 14435 times
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

wow wow wow.
I want to see more. This is a conversion that I would really be keen to do if economically viable.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yeah there are sure to be plenty of 350z in a "wrecking yard near you!" soon... especially when you check out the demographic that have bought them... in Sydney, in my home suburb, Burwood (or Burwog to the well intitiated), I saw an early 20s guy, probably in Mum's car, try to drop it into a 180 for his mates, however, the gutter, then a telegraph pole, then a parked C Class Merc got in the way. Hehehehe. Police were waiting at a set of lights 100m up the road.... saw the whole thing. Said 350z driver attempts to drive away- rear left wheel is FUBAR, rear left bumper and quarter all smashed in from tank slapping telegraph pole, and front left bumper has left gold paint all over black C Class....

hehehe. My guess is that three months later the car wouldve been donated by said son's actions to an insurance wrecking yard
Fixing it bit by bit....
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

well, like i said this project is being executed on the cheap. once the machine shop 'engineers' the adaptor anyone can simply have it duplicated
v
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

hahah jules you got those up there too eh.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Oh yes we do!

And a car that is older than them angling up the street better than mummy or daddy's new car is beyond comprehension to them!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

for friggin fcuk's sake i have had it with people who are cheating the ebay system by not honoring the sale. scratch motor #2!
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

:(
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Post by cchan »

Don't worry Sporttuner, that engine was not for you. You'll get your perfect engine for your Alfa. :D