Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hi Btech,

First day back at work on a regular schedule again. I spent a couple of hours today working on my hobby. I will definately let you know how I like the G2\ Giro brakes once I actually drive the car. If they perform as good as they look I know I am going to be happy. You should wait for the new G2\ Giro brake set up if you wish to have a more aggressive set up. My Alfa is for the street and possible some track events so I am not too concerned and the mm.

I was sourcing the last parts that I need to finish my project. I was going to send my steering rack to Texas but I did not get aroung to doing this in time so I decided to rebuild this myself. I had Jon Norman look at it today and he confirmed what everyone else said that these steering racks do not break. I had 0 play so it passed inspection. I was able to purchase 2 new boots, inner boot, and 2 new inner control arms. Only one control arm was worn but I figured might as well replace both since I am doing the work anyway. I will rebuild this on Saturday if I do not have to work. I am just missing the boot that covers where the steering column connects to the rack. This part is no longer available so I am going to look at my old part and try to custom make some type of boot. I was told that there are some racing parts that maybe able to be interchanged. Does anyone know anything about this :?: Here are pictures of the new parts. :D
Attachments
Alfa Steering Rack new parts #3.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack new parts #3.JPG (70.27 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
Alfa Steering Rack new parts #2.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack new parts #2.JPG (60.53 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
Alfa Steering Rack new parts.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack new parts.JPG (58.74 KiB) Viewed 7779 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Retore

Post by cchan »

I was also so lucky to source the last parts of my drive shaft so that I can complete this issue and send out the drive shaft to be rebuilt and balanced. I actually found a rear guibo at a fair price along with the center bearing and new housing. Both my old parts were ok and I am saving them for the future. I am just happy to get this rear guibo since I was giving up and the plan was going to be use the old part again. I am sure they would not have failed but it did not make sense to replace the front guibo and center guibo without the rear guibo. I will be bring this next week to have my drive shaft issue completed. Here are some pictures of my very hard to find and valuable part. I am definately going to look for extra ones. I know that the front guibo wears out first but who knows what can happen. We now have all parts to complete my project :)
Attachments
Alfa Rear Guibo  & Center Bearing with Cap #2.JPG
Alfa Rear Guibo & Center Bearing with Cap #2.JPG (116.99 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
Alfa Rear Guibo  & Center Bearing with Cap.JPG
Alfa Rear Guibo & Center Bearing with Cap.JPG (108.29 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

Hey cchan, i've been following your project, really nice, congratulations! it's pretty much what many of us dream of doing, rebuilding using as many quality parts and upgrades we can, cheers and enjoy!! :D :D
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

But Cchan don't don't take all the rear guibos.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

As far as I know, rear guibos are still readily available in Oz
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Yeah they are.
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

Seems the rest of the world is getting concerned about the availabilityof them.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Cchan when you tear down and rebuild your rack please take plenty of your excellent pictures.Those of us who have not yet had to do this could really benefit from having some good images documenting the process.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 Alfa Restore Project

Post by cchan »

Hello Forum,

Had some time to do my Alfa again for some fun again. We have dropped of the drive shaft to be rebuilt, repainted, and balanced. Learned alot from the driveshaft consultant and we should have this back in the next couple of days and we will post some pictures of this when we get it back.

We hope to rebuild the rack this weekend and we just need to get the "cone wrenches" from a bike shop so that I can remove the middle boot along with the interior tie rods. We will post pictures for you Murray and hope to look for a digital camera rather than our treo so they will be more clear than the treo.

Finally, we have met with Joe who will be doing the interior restoration for me. We have decided to restore this factory stock but with better materials. I am changing the car to Black leather with red piping. I am not sure if I will also do red stitching but Joe will give me an example. Joe thinks that red piping would look good but was not too sure about the stiching.

All the interior parts are with Joe so he is starting work as soon as possible. We went over the goals for the interior and I am posting some before pictures to share with the Forum. :D
Attachments
Alfa Interior Before Rear Panel #5.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Rear Panel #5.JPG (49.23 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
Alfa Interior Before Rear panel #4.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Rear panel #4.JPG (42.92 KiB) Viewed 7430 times
Alfa Interior Before Rear Seats #3.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Rear Seats #3.JPG (69 KiB) Viewed 7427 times
Alfa Interior Before Fnt Seats #2.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Fnt Seats #2.JPG (68.53 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
Alfa Interior Before Carpet #1.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Carpet #1.JPG (63.19 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 Alfa GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

More Pictures. :)
Attachments
Alfa Interior Before Front Panel #9.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Front Panel #9.JPG (51.43 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Alfa Interior Before Front Panel #8.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Front Panel #8.JPG (52.36 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
Alfa Interior Before Rear Arch #7.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Rear Arch #7.JPG (41.03 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
Alfa Interior Before Rear Arch #6.JPG
Alfa Interior Before Rear Arch #6.JPG (47.83 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hello,

Well should of had the drive shaft back but ran into 2 issues. I have posted this in another section for advise on how to solve these issues. Should be no problem just one more delay. :cry:

Finally, after a lot of input in regards to restoring the old style Afla seats we have decided to up upgrade the seat to the later style. We need to change our goal from restoring to Factory Stock to restoring to Factory Stock with upgraded parts. I only say this now, since we are not even restoring the interior to the factory original. :roll: Oh well, maybe my next Alfa Project I will not get swayed buy upgrades.

Here our photos of the 85 Alfa Seats that we will be restoring rather than my original 82 Alfa Seats. :D
Attachments
85 GTV6 Front Seats-before restore #2.jpg
85 GTV6 Front Seats-before restore #2.jpg (170 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
85 GTV6 Front Seats-before restore #1.jpg
85 GTV6 Front Seats-before restore #1.jpg (153.97 KiB) Viewed 7332 times
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

those seats are much nicer , especially in leather!
nice car with nice interior!!
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hello Everyone,

JJ arrived yesterday and we have been working on completing my Alfa. We have addressed certain issues as follows:

We have decided to swap out the RS rear sway bar in favor of the Shankle bar. The Shankle bar is thicker but non-adjustable. We did this since we did not want to drill holes to re position the RS Bar. If RS designs an adjustable sway bar specific to the GTV6 we may swap back.

We have rebuilt the steering rack and grinded down standard wrenches so that they would be slim enough to remove the inner tie rods and allow us to change the rubber boots. Here are some pictures of this.
Attachments
Alfa Steering Rack #5.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack #5.JPG (159.21 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
Alfa Steering Rack #4.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack #4.JPG (132.88 KiB) Viewed 7056 times
Alfa Steering Rack #3.jpg
Alfa Steering Rack #3.jpg (51.73 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
Alfa Steering Rack #2.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack #2.JPG (119.17 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
Alfa Steering Rack #1.JPG
Alfa Steering Rack #1.JPG (146.63 KiB) Viewed 7057 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Once this was done we moved onto the engine install. JJ prepared the engine and double checked everything. We put in freeze plugs for the old heater hoses and did the final tweeks to the engine mounts. We then installed the engine with 4 guys. The engine went right in and it definately was alot easier with the Brake Master Cylinder, radiator, etc out. It took about 10 mins. Here are the pictures of the engine being installed.
Attachments
Alfa engine installed #4.JPG
Alfa engine installed #4.JPG (173.02 KiB) Viewed 7051 times
Alfa engine installed #3.JPG
Alfa engine installed #3.JPG (158.33 KiB) Viewed 7052 times
Alfa engine installed #2.jpg
Alfa engine installed #2.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 7051 times
Alfa engine installed #1.JPG
Alfa engine installed #1.JPG (143.58 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

And here we are. The engine is installed and everything is falling into place. The 24V looks like it belongs there. :D

Here are the pictures:
Attachments
Alfa Engine in compartment #4.JPG
Alfa Engine in compartment #4.JPG (154.57 KiB) Viewed 7046 times
Alfa Engine in compartment #3.JPG
Alfa Engine in compartment #3.JPG (213.28 KiB) Viewed 7047 times
Alfa Engine in compartment #2.JPG
Alfa Engine in compartment #2.JPG (202.98 KiB) Viewed 7051 times
Alfa Engine in compartment #1.JPG
Alfa Engine in compartment #1.JPG (223.69 KiB) Viewed 7048 times