Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Brian16
Silver
Silver

An Alfista from Sweden

Post by Brian16 »

Hi there,
About time I introduced myself. Brian Sexton, I am originaly from Ireland but live in Sweden where, like some other contributors to this forum, I work for that car Company in Gothenburg. Yes, the ones that make nice safe family cars or, as they say in the movies "There're boxy but there're good!" I work on Engine Management Systems, which is a lot of fun.
I am on my 2nd GTV6, the present one I purchased 2 years ago and have been doing some small jobs on it. I recently got my hands on a 3.0L 75 and took it to the scrap yard last week after stripping it of everything useful. The winter project is to renovate the 3.0L engine and put it into the GTV6.
Anyone have any tips on removing the front pulley nut ?? Is it just brute force and lots of torque ??
// Brian.
Attachments
The Magic Number !.JPG
The Magic Number !.JPG (170.95 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
This comes out.JPG
This comes out.JPG (154.4 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
This goes in.JPG
This goes in.JPG (186.59 KiB) Viewed 7273 times
La vita e troppo breve da non guidare un'Alfa
Alfist-GTV6
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfist-GTV6 »

Hi Brian,
Welcome.
GTV6 DRIVES YOU 2 PASSION!

http://www.gtv6demoruns.nl/

Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Brian welcome aboard ! For the front pully nut I find that a good sharp wack is usefull in order to break the bond between the nut and the crank.What I did was place a long piece of angle iron between the flywheel studs and my concrete floor to prevent rotation.I then used by sturdy rachet on the nut and gave it a good wack with a rubber mallet.Worked for me hopefully it will for you.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Impact gun...and have a buddy hold a long metal bar between the flywheel studs
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Hi Brian, welcome.

Did we chat on friday? Outside Duetten, Axel was there too? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Brian16
Silver
Silver

Post by Brian16 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the comments. No Mats. it was not me last Friday. Looking forward to meeting you sometime. Now it's back to that Front Pulley nut. It will do for this weeks workout !!
// Brian.
La vita e troppo breve da non guidare un'Alfa
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

Well if brute force won't work... You can drill two holes in opposite positions in the nut and seperate it with a punch. The nut cracks and the pulley comes of. I've always have done it this way since brute force didn't work. Takes me 10 minutes now to get the pulley off (and yes I do always try first with the impact gun.....).

You will have to buy a new nut, but they don't cost much and it's good for peace of mind to use a new one.
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Dennis wrote:Well if brute force won't work... You can drill two holes in opposite positions in the nut and seperate it with a punch. The nut cracks and the pulley comes of. I've always have done it this way since brute force didn't work. Takes me 10 minutes now to get the pulley off (and yes I do always try first with the impact gun.....).

You will have to buy a new nut, but they don't cost much and it's good for peace of mind to use a new one.
You got mountings from Ron yet? :?:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Welcome Brian,

Regarding the tight pulley nut. I see we have had a variety of suggestions all of which should help. Naturally vibration prior to or during the rotation is very usefull.

If for some reason a previous assembly has used a thread lock chemical then this technique will often not help. The suggestion by Dennis of course will in all circumstances.

My personal choice is to heat the nut up sufficiently to burn out the thread lock chemical and cause a break in the bond by expansion. After that even a relativley moderate impact wrench will remove it.

PM me if you want to know about the heating technique.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse