Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

I believe that is the required horsepower to drive the car (dunno what gear) at those speeds. I'm guessing a tour bus would require much more horsepower at the same speeds...

What do you mean by bump steer? From your anecdote, it seems like you were just hitting a bump (and yes, the RS Kit really is stiff enough to put your head into the roof. It's even worse on a Verde with a sunroof (deeper than the GTV6 one I think). Before hitting a certain bump on the straight of Buttonwillow, I have to crick my neck to the side to avoid a hard rap on the dome.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

Interesting, that's a bizarre statistic, thanks.

Well, Grant, this is better answered by folks with a higher degree of understanding of the phenomena, however as I experience it, bumpsteer is the act of being steered by a bump :lol:

The suspension is so stiff that when you hit a bump or bumps, depending on its (their) composition (think snowflake), you can be thrown off course, and that can be an unsettling development depending on the degree of difficulty involved, including speed, roadway condition, location (location location) - i.e., turn, straightaway, and so on.

One obviously has to make split-second directional corrections when encountering these conditions, that's my short experience with bumpsteer. It's obviously a product of the super stiff suspension. I find it manageable, but let me say this, I am much more conscious of roadway condition, and even at speed I'm learning to incorporate a new skill set - dodging imperfections.

Thanks.

David

Actually, after giving it thought, I can see where I confused you. What I experienced wasn't completely bumpsteer, it had the added element of the big dip or wave (a large, significant depression). All in all, one of the worst encounters, possibly.

Thanks.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

So, any bump at speed will upset a stiffly spring car. Bump steer will actually cause one of the wheels to toe in or out, creating a steering action that you didn't intend. Does that feel like your problem? Or, just that hitting a bump in a turn make the car react so much, that it becomes a little hard to control?

There's not much you can do about the latter with a stiffly sprung car, but bump steer can be eliminated with some careful work on the tie-rods.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

I would go with the former, definitely, Grant. I have a poor way (I think) of explaining my driving experiences, and part of that must stem from a complete lack of knowledge on the engineering of automobiles.

What is done with the control arms?

Forgive this, but I thought (to myself) that this (bumpsteer) was simply part and parcel (to some degree or another) of the geometry of the RSR system (I don't have the watts linkage, and I don't think I have the rear sway)?

Thanks.

David
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

The RSR system doesn't change the geometry at all as far as I know.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

A few photos, without the rear license plate shroud
Attachments
A customized split bumper (rubber and polished aluminum, perhaps) is on my radar - think about what that might look like here......
A customized split bumper (rubber and polished aluminum, perhaps) is on my radar - think about what that might look like here......
x3.JPG (235.15 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
Blue skies, calling for you! Baby we got blue skies, for as far as the eye can see!
Blue skies, calling for you! Baby we got blue skies, for as far as the eye can see!
x1.-JPG.jpg (200.63 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Was I speeding occifer?
Was I speeding occifer?
x6.JPG (202.3 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
Last edited by SlewofDamascus on Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:30 am, edited 8 times in total.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

a few more:
Attachments
x23.JPG
x23.JPG (250.11 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
x22.JPG
x22.JPG (247.39 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
x11.JPG
x11.JPG (255.1 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
Last edited by SlewofDamascus on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

double
Last edited by SlewofDamascus on Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

unfortunately, I have to reduce the photos so much, the quality is pooe.
Attachments
x25.JPG
x25.JPG (238.82 KiB) Viewed 5719 times
Has anyone thanked the Austrailians for our California Eucalyptus trees? Never have. Never will.
Has anyone thanked the Austrailians for our California Eucalyptus trees? Never have. Never will.
x10.JPG (166.78 KiB) Viewed 5744 times
x8.JPG
x8.JPG (253.6 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
x7.JPG
x7.JPG (236.6 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Re: My first (for all intents and purposes) GTV-6 (long post)

Post by GregoryV »

Just saw these latest pictures you posted ... looks like you were up at the Academy of Sciences :)

Again, I'm really struck at how great the wheels and the ride height/stance on yours looks! Have you been enjoying it over the summer ... actually, Fall will be the best weather!

GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Re: My first (for all intents and purposes) GTV-6 (long post)

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Great looking GTV6 .............
(for a US model) :D

John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw