Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their comments - I really appreciate it!

I've been trying to find this vehicle, the GTS on the Internet. Originally, all I focused on was the GTS part, which was emblazoned on te back of the vehicle. It became obvious that it was a Mitsubishi very quickly (the only "GTS" model in the industry, apparently).

Mitsubishi (a pain for a Hunt & Pecker like me to spell, which is why I referred to it as a "GTS") has made many different variations of this model (calling them "lancers" and "prancers" and so on) and I'm not entirely sure what year and variety the one is I encountered. However, I'm now 80-85% certain it was the '08 GTS Lancer. Interestingly, I found a review (on edmunds.com) of the '08 Mitsubishi GTS where they not only mention Alfa Romeo by name (favorably, related to rear styling), but the handling got good marks, and the power output mirrors the GTV-6 (152 horsepower - this is a 4 cylinder version); Mitsubishi is coming out with a 250whp version six that the commentator thought would hold up well against the Suburu wrx, especially given the handling platform). In some ways, it was a very good matchup (from my point of view :) ), showing that not only can a GTV-6 compete with a $25k car from '08, but outhandle it (with or without RSR, I imagine) and out-accelerate it, not simply out-quicken it. With everything I have before me now, I can safely say it was an '08 Mitsubishi GTS Lancer (white) - the size of the wheels is the final giveaway. This is the review. I had never been to edmunds before, so it was a good bookmark.

http://tinyurl.com/4et64f

More to come.

Thanks.

David
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Skyline GT-S?

RWD version of the Skyline. Maybe a R33 model?

It's a Nissan in case you didn't know.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Not in the US Mats...
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There are Skylines in the US, imported.

Viper? :shock: :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

You know, Mats, that could be the spittin' image; do you know the model year of this Nissan GTS? The one I saw did have "GTS" in large script on the rear (but no manufacturer that I could easily identify - I was kind of busy at the time).

It would not surprise me at all were this the vehicle. Now I am confused. We do know it was Japanese, anyway. :oops:

I was more impressed with it after, or during the later stages of the event, than initially; it did pretty well, I thought - we were running pretty hard (all things considered).

I feel confident, after further review, that it was not the Lancer Mitsubishi GTS - that's a sedan I now realize, so can't be that. I'm looking for a coupe, it's very possibly another GTS from the Mitsubishi line or a Nissan.

At this point, I doubt anyone cares :)

Thanks.

David
tcl
Silver
Silver

Post by tcl »

Maybe it was a Celica GT-S. They have the GT-S script on the right rear if I recall. 180 horsepower and 2500 pounds of curb weight but less torque than the GTV-6.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

In the US there are only GT-Rs (R32,R33,R34), AFAIK no GTS.
Dr. Alban
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

A very nice and extremely windy road with changes in elevation is highway 175. This is a must drive for anyone who loves the twisties. It starts in Hopland and meets with highway 29. It passes thru clearlake, cobb mountain and middletown.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

try the mitsubishi eclipse....i think it has a gts version, has the biggest engine and maybe all wheel drive

hth
scott
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

3000GT?

grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Z, surprisingly not true. Motorx imported gts, gts-t, and GTRs before getting shut down.

Haha, anyways, it must have been a newer Japanese car, which must have been a Mitsubishi or Toyota...I think they're the only ones using the GT-S moniker.

Pretty sure you didn't go up against a Hyundai GT V6?? :):)
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

twinspark6 wrote:A very nice and extremely windy road with changes in elevation is highway 175. This is a must drive for anyone who loves the twisties. It starts in Hopland and meets with highway 29. It passes thru clearlake, cobb mountain and middletown.
My twisties are better than your twisties :P

I think I know that stretch, it's got everything, definitely a great rec.

Thanks.

David
(I think I need to wait for this weather to cool - we are having a heat wave in NoCal - damn that GFW - "Global [starts with an f] Warming")
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

double post
Last edited by SlewofDamascus on Sat May 17, 2008 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlewofDamascus
Gold
Gold

Post by SlewofDamascus »

To continue

On any roads that might be rated below “fair” (6/10), the RSR system is brutal. It will rock your world :shock: . That’s the nature of what it is. For me, the trade-off is fine, as I will NOT be using this GTV-6 as a daily driver, but rather for day trips in the country, and trips of a longer nature, and those trips are plotted for highway (rather than Interstate) travel, where typically the roads are better by some unspecified percentage.

At “good” to “very good” (7/10; 8/10), the RSR is okay in terms of comfort. It’s not great, but well within reason for a sports car. Let’s remember: this is a sports car, not a luxury car, and it’s a sports car (maybe the last) in the great tradition of Sports Cars – not only is there a physical skill involved in operating the vehicle competently, there is also a physical toll – it’s tiring, and taxing, and exhilarating, and all the things that makes driving a rewarding sport. Power steering or cruise control begins to water-down the otherwise demanding (and manual) experience.

After spending the last 10 years riding in luxury cars (and getting my thrill on with Ducati), the difference is stark, but not unwelcome, not to me. I could see, however, where the RSR would not be an appropriate system for the greater majority of GTV6 owners (who are not looking for that totally raw driving experience on a daily basis).

Unfortunately, I can’t give a comparison between stock and RSR, or typical upgrades (poly bushes, bilstein shocks, etc.) versus the RSR upgrade, although in the latter case, I think if one is going to stiffen the suspension artificially through modification, one should just consider going the RSR route (to whatever degree is appropriate for their needs – I don’t have the Watts linkage RSR upgrade, for ex.). Once revisions to the suspension are made, I suspect ride quality begins to diminish very quickly, anyway, so you might as well have the real deal coil-overs. In any case, choose wisely.

Sitting behind the wheel (with an RSR system in place) is truly a liberating experience. I feel very much as one with the vehicle - holding the steering wheel in my hands, I have a solid, unfettered connection to the driving surface, and also the ability – with almost imperceptible steering wheel or hand movement – to alter course or make line changes instataneously; the feel is extraordinary.

If there are questions about the RSR that I can answer, relative to the driving experience, please inquire. I am sure Greg would be happy to answer and technical questions that are over my head (99%). Is this upgrade for everyone? No, obviously. I hope I have given a useful impression (given I can’t compare it to stock or stock+).

I not only attribute this feel to the RSR (and its expert installation by Hiperformancestore.com), but also to the condition and service (by HP) of the steering rack (among other things). Because Greg and Bob (his Dad) are so studious and uncompromising in their practices, there is no doubt in my mind that I am driving the “ultimate driving machine.” :roll: I find it difficult to imagine a better driving experience (from the seat of my pants), and that’s not only attributable to the fine-touch handling and a myriad of small (but critical) details that are included in the GG playbook, but also the upgraded brakes.

HP rebuilt the suspension and brakes (from the ground up, essentially) using the industry’s best available methods and its better products (relative to the GTV-6). This GTV6 has the SZ rear brake package – vented rotors and bigger calipers – and with the steel-braided lines and rebuilt front calipers w/new rotors, the performance is truly astounding. The pads need to be brought up to operating temperature for best action, but it’s possible to be very aggressive with this braking system once the unit is in its zone. (I used them very aggressively on 128). The result is another great job by HP and Greg Gordon (thanks, Greg and Bob).

Greg’s place in Sapulpa (Oklahoma) is ideal. Near his beautiful and spacious home (on the same property) is an industrial, 2-stall (door) garage, able to house many vehicles as it sits 4-wide and 2-deep (6-8 vehicles, perhaps, I’m guessing). The day before I arrived, he installed an outdoor, high-quality canopy where 3 cars can sit and be protected from harsh elements – Greg has really thought his operation through.

The day I was there, another client of his, “Dale” (not his real name), was on the premises with his Greg Gordon-Supercharged, 2.5 GTV-6. I was given a sincere offer to drive the vehicle, but chose not to (as I didn’t want to spoil the experience with my “new” “stock” GTV-6, which I had yet to drive after 7 months!). However, Greg gave me a ride.

This supercharged GTV-6 is an ’84, I believe (I may be wrong here on the year). Looking at the engine close-up, and the workmanship involved in this creation, I was blown away. Sitting or resting in Greg’s garage is a 2.5 motor, used to attach whatever supercharger that he happens to be currently building – the motor works as his experimental platform, thereby allowing him to work out problems before installing the unit in the vehicle. After giving me a brief explanation on the history of this particular creation, Greg and I buckled up and went for a drive in his client’s supercharged GTV6.

OMG! (as the kids say!) 8)

Greg has posted his RWHP numbers on this vehicle (I think 231), and all I can say is – NOT! :?

This thing felt like it had 300RWHP, and that’s no joke. What’s funny about this is, Greg told me before we started (really started) that he couldn’t go full throttle because it was his client’s car – now, this was well beyond the owner’s view and this shows Greg’s professionalism – he only abuses his vehicles! Actually, the way Greg and his dad build motors, there is no abuse (he’s quietly building a stupid-silly RPM motor for his own GTV6 pleasure).

When Greg hit the throttle on the supercharged GTV-6 I nearly wet myself :oops: At 75% of its true capacity, this thing flew. We only made it through 2 and ½ gears before we had to shut it down (speed). And then we did it again. Holy Toledo! (as the late, great Bill King used to say) :twisted:

I don’t have any evidence, I have no numbers to back this up, but I find it difficult to believe that there is a better option for 2.5 GTV6 owners if they want to fly. This will be plenty of power for me (thank you very much) and I will be getting one of Greg’s creations when financially feasible. I cannot imagine anything better - the motor stays stock, thus one doesn’t lose all of its unique pleasures; with forged pistons (a must) reliability is still incredible (200k?); and there’s no messy engine switch (no fwd to rwd complications, either).

One can have a stock motor again in 90 minutes. From a financial investment point of view this makes the most, absolute sense. Think about it. When you’re ready to sell the GTV-6 (for a different GTV-6, of course), you de-install the supercharger, sell the vehicle stock, re-use the supercharger on your next GTV-6, or sell it on ebay (where you will do very well). Compare this with swapping motors and I think the options (freedom) reside firmly with supercharging (jmo, of course).

I’m not sure people realize just what the stock 2.5 offers. It has been offered to us without ever being truly aspirated. In that light, its “stock” performance is even more startling. By today’s standards, it’s still a top 10% motor. I will explain (show) why I believe this to be so (from my seat of the pants point of view) in my next installment (where I think/hope picture will be available).

Thanks.

David