Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
GracianoR
Silver
Silver

Catalitic converters

Post by GracianoR »

Hi guys . My name is Graciano,I've just moved from S.Africa to Brisbane Australia with my original 3.0 GTV. THe 3.0 has dellorto carburretors, in order to get a L01 or L03 plate the engineer says that i need catalitic converters . Is there anyone in Australia that has a1985 carburretored Alfa who has had the same problem.[/i][/b]
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Depends on what import paperwork the car was brought in under.
If it is a "personal import" (LO3), no cats - otherwise, fit a cat for the plate and then maybe it can "fall of" after you drive away.
Main thing to remember here is - do whatever the engineer who is certifying requires and your car gets on the road.
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

See this doesn't make any sense.

Only vehicles that were manufactured from January 1986 and onwards require a catalytic converter, as highlighted within ADR 37.

I'd question him about that, as you shouldn't need one. But if he refuses, you may just have to whack one in, then decide whether you take it back out once it's been approved. Alternatively you could fit a high flow cat which will reduce emissions but shouldn't affect performance.

Even in the checklist he'd be using for LO1-3, it states under ADR 37/00 -Emissions Control for Light Vehicles, the effective date for MA vehicle (standard passenger) is July 1988

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/b ... eb2006.pdf

ROCK ON
R~R
GracianoR
Silver
Silver

catalitic converters

Post by GracianoR »

Hi Daniel . Thanks very much for your feedback.The engineer I'm dealing with realizes after a lot of discussion that I don't want cats on my car,so he is going to apply for a L03 plate instead of the L01 as the car has been owned for about ten years. Exactly what you said.
Thanks once again.
Are you a member of the Alfa club?
GracianoR
Silver
Silver

catalitic converters

Post by GracianoR »

Hi Rookie ,you right its difficult to make sense of the regulations, as I have e mailed DOTARS & QLD transport. The first says that the ADR37/00 was introduced in 1986 and the other says this ADR came into effect in 1 July 1988. The engineer says it does't apply to my car because of the carbs. The 2.5 fuel injected does'nt need cats.
GracianoR
Silver
Silver

catalitic converters

Post by GracianoR »

Hi Rookie ,you right its difficult to make sense of the regulations, as I have e mailed DOTARS & QLD transport. The first says that the ADR37/00 was introduced in 1986 and the other says this ADR came into effect in 1 July 1988. The engineer says it does't apply to my car because of the carbs. The 2.5 fuel injected does'nt need cats.
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

Hey GracianoR
I have a 84 SA 3.0 now 3.3 250bhp atw running carbis with no cats passed over the pits however, I am in W.A.
The guy testing my GTV6 layed two black lines when he took off and came back saying man that Alfa is a buzz and asked me if I wanted to sell it.
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

Being a carb should be more reason that it SHOULDN'T need a cat.

I've had a little difficulty locating the exact sections as it appears ADR 37 has been repealed and replaced, but I can't find anything about it. From memory, the ADRs simply state that any car manufactured after January 1986 on unleaded fuel is required to run a catalytic converter. It doesn't say whether it's carbs or injected.

You are on the right track by contacting DOTARS though. In the meantime, I have this snippet taken from the NCOP for Section LM - Fuel Systems;

pi]For vehicles built between 1 July 1976 and 1 February 1986 and originally operating on leaded petrol, there are no emission requirements other than the maximum carbon monoxide concentration at engine idle speed must not exceed 4.5% and any engines that were originally fitted with exhaust gas re-circulation valves (EGR) and associated equipment must continue to be fitted with this equipment and the equipment must be operation.

Catalytic converters and associated engine emission control system fitted to any vehicle originally operating on unleaded petrol and those fitted to vehicles manufacturered after 1 February 1986, must remain operation.[/i]

http://www.dotars.gov.au/roads/safety/b ... eb2006.pdf

If you can get out to the Saturday Sprints at Queensland Raceway on Saturday 1 December, you'll find quite a few Alfisti/AROCA members throwing their cars around the track. I should be there in my grey/green 75. Always a good day out, bring sunscreen!

ROCK ON
R~R
GracianoR
Silver
Silver

catalitic converters

Post by GracianoR »

HI Alfa GTV 6 GP
I don't think it's got to do with the province , but to do with the boytjie that gives you the plate.You were lucky first time!