Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
bcal
Gold
Gold

alfarodder

Post by bcal »

Hi all.
Joined here a week ago but didn't see the intro section.

I own a hotrod with alfetta running rear that I will be soon converting to a 2.5V6. http://bcal.bigblog.com.au/index.do
Some of you may know me from the alfabb.

I haven't bought an engine yet but have my eye on a GTV6 that was written off not long after a total engine rebuild.

It's either take my chances on that or buy a rebuilder and do it myself. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Anyway, I hope to be able to get some tips and ideas from this wonderful site and maybe supply a few of my own along the way.

Cheers.
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Welcome to the forum

Interesting bit of Alfa engineering. Not exactly what this site is generally about but hey, there is nothing like a bit of diversity!

If you want my tip, I suggest forgetting the 2.5V6 and go for a 3.0V6 (2 or 4 valve)and fitted up with a Twin Spark transaxle. That should get you motoring like I think you may want to go.

...can't beat cubes..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

WOOT another "odd ball" ..nice to see the odd every now and then...

would fit nicely with my 1958 lloyd with milano drivetrane
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Odd ball hey :evil:
And what do you think the hotrodders call it :lol:

I've driven a Lloyd Harnett, couldn't even begin to imagine one would be like to drive with milano running gear :shock:
Got any pics?

The car only weighs 850kg and goes pretty good with the 2L so I figure the 2.5 would be better. Would sure sound better.
Plus the 3.0 are quite rare here and a TS transaxle!! bring your cheque book for one of those.
I plan to just keep the alfetta transaxle for the time being. The cars light weight combined with the deftness of my right foot should help it to last.

But if anyone knows where I can get a cheap 3.0 and TS transaxle here in aussie I'm all ears. :wink:
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

For a quad cam 24 valve 3.0 litre, try Daniel at :

http://alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p= ... 410b#28102
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

sure bcal..i got some pic's ...and mines one of the "baby" lloyds an alexander TS(guess i should have found a twinspark LOL) also known as a "600"

round here id never seen one till i picked up mine...hotrod's are a labor of love arnt they :lol:

guest password is lloyd
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/sh ... ?start=all
Attachments
1-Picture 1318.jpg
1-Picture 1318.jpg (106.04 KiB) Viewed 7246 times
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Thanks for that.
I did see it earlier and my heart said yesss!!!
But I've been around modified cars long enough to know that the heart (HP) often overrules the brain (budget).

The problem is that to go further up the HP scale I need to consider things like upgrading the cooling system, brakes, driveline etc etc.
Bang goes 10 grand.
Brett
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

That looks great shortlife, I really appreciate other people's ingenuity.
Pity I can't get into photobucket to see the rest of your pics.

I saw a pic of one of these at an American rod run with V8 and blower hanging out the bonnet. Yours would be be much nicer and a darn site more practical.
Brett
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

the photobucket may take a while to load at 400+ pic's ..the password to get in is lloyd

so hows your rod handle the curves?....i would asume it more or less behaves like a normal gtv6/fetta/milano other than being on a HUGE diet lol

yeah ive seen pic's of the chevy v8 lloyd..nice drag car but otherwise useless....im shooting for daily driver practicality as well as useing it as an outlet for my creativity
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

Good stuff mate :D
Most people would ask why, but I know why.

The alfrod handles reasonably good. I do a bit of hillclimbing in the thing and she gets round the corners ok but is a bit too down on power to be very competitive.

But hey that doesn't matter much as I built it as a fun sports car to drive on winding roads, not a rubber burner.

BTW, I was just thinking the other day, I've never driven a proper alfa long enough to compare it with one.
Brett
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

LOL havnt driven an alfa much eh??..why did ya pick the alfa suspension and drive trane then?...seems like a REALY odd choice unless youve driven one hard

....i had a gtv6 droped into my lap to repair and after driveing it i knew i had to find some alfa bits to put on my lloyd
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Where are you mate!? Im curious!

Give us your Mob. no - I'd love to check her out!
Fixing it bit by bit....
bcal
Gold
Gold

Post by bcal »

sh0rtlife wrote:LOL havnt driven an alfa much eh??..why did ya pick the alfa suspension and drive trane then?...seems like a REALY odd choice unless youve driven one hard
Let's just say that I had faith in the alfa reputation and I "knew" that it would out handle any other hotrod on the road. which isn't too hard a task BTW :wink:

Also the front suspension, although comprising many alfa bits (105 gtv), is of my own design.
The rear dedion, when you analyse it is little different than what old Henry designed for the model T.
Brett
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

bcal

Don't tell big Julie where you are unless you can take short black coffee's with a spoon man. Take it from one who knows... after a year, I'm still trying to get my eyelids down :D

good to see you back Jules.. :D