Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Kevin GTV's and other Alfa's

Post by kevin »

This needs a supercharge conversion like the one Autodelta offer . Maybe Gregs working on it already.
The car kinda of grows on you every day . There is always a new angle or curve that you have not picked up . Absolutely superb comforts . Alfa definately got it right in finishing a car . Doors are solid, no fiddly levers thanks to the German (I think Kalbfell) maestro of the 3 series BMW.
Anyway not going to fiddle with this car , only opened the bonnet after three days and yes there were bits of plastic all over the engine so it will only be opened at the next service unless a warning light appears.
My 3.7 is running so strong at the moment i am enjoying that way to much to take notice of these are plan any coversions.
BussoV6
Silver
Silver

Post by BussoV6 »

kevin wrote:This needs a supercharge conversion like the one Autodelta offer . Maybe Gregs working on it already.
The car kinda of grows on you every day . There is always a new angle or curve that you have not picked up . Absolutely superb comforts . Alfa definately got it right in finishing a car . Doors are solid, no fiddly levers thanks to the German (I think Kalbfell) maestro of the 3 series BMW.
Anyway not going to fiddle with this car , only opened the bonnet after three days and yes there were bits of plastic all over the engine so it will only be opened at the next service unless a warning light appears.
Kevin, how is the performance of this Brera at altitude? I test drove a 3.2 Brera a couple of years ago and it was slower than my 916 GTV 3.0. So gave it a pass.

I have heard that you can get big discounts on new Alfa at the moment, care to share what you paid for the 2.2?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Hi Busso paid R220 000 with trade in on GT. make no mistake if you after performance you are going to be dissapointed. But if you are after something different to the run of the mill german , jap whatever and going to pay a premium for your safety(in Jozi). Performance does not worry me one bit as there many other toys to play with in the garage. Quality is light years ahead of the 916 series with a very comfortable ride . Dont think of sitting in the back unless you can make your calves flatter than kate moss's chest.
There has not been one engine failure yet on these 2.2 motors in SA. I would definately buy one of these again under our circumstances ie company forces you to replace car every four years and other reasons mentioned above.
What makes more sense is to buy a low milaege 3.2 brera for same price which are available. If you are interested I know MD Alfa SA pretty well and can organise best deals.
Even though I have GTV's, my ultimate every day Alfa which I am patiently looking for is 156 GTA sport wagon. I think stylin is awesome and you can load tyres engines etc in the back while still doing 200km every driving from one construction site to another and occasionaly doing some race car developement on side.
At the moment I drive a 164 every day. Sadly I cant bring myself to own another brand ( maser quattroporto will do though - way out budget) even though there has not been a real production Alfa since the Alfa 75.
One sense you are happy to have a new Alfa but deep down you know its not a REAL RWD ALFA.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I've never driven a Brera, but from the videos I've seen, it seems that the 3.2's gear ratios are awfully spaced. Every time it shifts, the revs drop a lot. This is a good sign that it isn't a performance oriented car despite what Alfa tries to say.

And yes Kev, the GTA would be a great daily driver! My mom has one, 2004, with the smaller 305mm brakes, about 50K km on the clock. Very solid car, can't compare to the 155, much less the GTV6.

BTW, just a side topic (I should really start my own thread), my dad converted the 116 GTV6 3.0 to motronic, not sure why but at least now it can get a squadra chip.

Did I mention the town I live in has 2 Glenwood monsters? A 3.5 24V Giulie and a 3.5 TT front gearbox GTV6. Another friend of ours here has a 116 GTV6 24V and a 116 GTV6 3.0.
Dr. Alban
ALFA GTV6 GP
Platinum
Platinum

Post by ALFA GTV6 GP »

[quote="Zamani"]

BTW, just a side topic (I should really start my own thread), my dad converted the 116 GTV6 3.0 to motronic, not sure why but at least now it can get a squadra chip.

Sounds like a lot of work for little return, but as I have the parts sitting at home doing nothing
I am interested so Z please start a side topic.

John
Alfa 75 3.0 qv potenziata (Black)
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Silver)
Alfa GTV6 GP 3.0 (Red)
Alfa GTV6 GP (Concourse)
Alfa GTV6 SA 3.3 AHMotorsport (Grey) 226.3 Bhp atw
Alfa GTV6 3.0 (Dark Grey) 200+ Bhp atw
BussoV6
Silver
Silver

Post by BussoV6 »

kevin wrote:One sense you are happy to have a new Alfa but deep down you know its not a REAL RWD ALFA.
Too true. When that Brera first came out, I was pretty excited. That soon faded after looking at and driving the 3.2. With the 116 and the 916, the engine bay is a delight to look at. With the Brera, it looks like a cheap chinese coolerbox. My heart sank when I saw that plastic POS in such a beautiful body.

Even my 916 3L does not offer as much fun as my 116 GTV in terms of driving pleasure. Hopefully Alfa gets serious again one of these days.

156 GTA wagon would make a fantastic daily driver. What do they go for these days in Joburg (presuming you can find an unraped one)?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Starting at R100 000 which is way out at this stage..
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Breras first trip.
We went on an Alfa club run this weekend into the western part of our country (Groot Marico ) for our annual club run. This area consists mainly off bushveld(grassy landscape). Not many people live here but those that do are mainly decendants of farmers that fought in the Boer War (late nineteenth century agaainst British). This area is pretty famous in our country for two things - a famous author (Herman Charles Bosman) and Mampoer which is an 80 % alchoholic ''shooter'' drink. This drink can be blended with many flavours to make liquers as well.
This is a pretty safe part of the country with nearly zero crime so if any of you are coming to this end of the world for world cup its worth checking out.
Anyway digressing about the Breras first trip . For starters the car is extemely stable at high speed especially over bumpy road conditions. Interior cabin noise is virtually zero and sometimes you forget how high you revving the motor as you cannot even here the engine when you are overtaking . One thing that is very diiferent about this 2.2 brera compared to the 1.9GT diesel is you seriously have to rev it when you want to do a 'daring ' overtaking manouvre and cant rely on the huge torque the GT had. So bottom line no daring manouvres in this car - buy the 3.2 GT or 3.2 Brera otherwise you will find the wife questioning your driving skills.
The ground clearance is much higher on Brera and dirt roads was a breeze and nor even one rattle or dust coming in.
I guess this is what characterless driving is about but as far that goes it scores 10/10.
My mate took his 1962 Giulietta Ti to experience real driving again here you can feel the road through the wheel, hear the motor through the dash and taste the dust through the door seals and still cruise at 120km/h .
A pic to follow of our cars.
Attachments
IMG_7542-resized.JPG
IMG_7542-resized.JPG (195.06 KiB) Viewed 6799 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Stopped off to play with some baby lions
Here kitty kitty !!!
Attachments
IMG_7293-resized.JPG
IMG_7293-resized.JPG (172.7 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Check this idiot - he thought these were somehow tame baby cats but a few stitches later and a tetnus injection , he was proved wrong . Maybe the kitty was a Brawn GP supporter.
Spot the finger
Attachments
IMG_7295-resized.JPG
IMG_7295-resized.JPG (179.75 KiB) Viewed 6795 times
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

haha, it's a pain to find out they are still lions the hard way! lovely ride though! :D
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

As cute as they are, i would not be putting my fingers anywhere near its mouth!! Ouch!!

Great thread...damn its grown!! :D

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Brera update . Car has done twenty thousand kms and no issues at all.
What can I say about ?
If you rev the hell out of it , it goes really well and performs like a good 2.5 v6 GTV. It does 0- 100 just over 8 secs. The steering is the best part. just a fraction of a turn and the car is pointing in that direction. The body roll in corners is so minimal even when i was trying to break traction which is really tricky on public roads. I have driven the car alot as my wife is in UK and did not hide the keys.
To sum up when comparing to my GTV 6's it like the most expensive GTV made with huge external character , solid interior (not one fidgety lever), feels very light due to its responsiveness(even though its overweight).
Sadly I guess like any new car , the engine could be ELECTRIC. Its actually embarrassing when you drive past street cafes that you actually go as slow as possible so no one can hear it to comment on what motor could be in the brera
Attachments
IMG_3392.JPG
IMG_3392.JPG (82.8 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
Last edited by kevin on Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

That pics contains way over 1000kw and the bulk is made up by the mid mount Gotech 155 twin turbo. The owner actually drivers it on the road with those full slicks 300 wide on rear :shock:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Two GTA's
116 GTV 3.2 24v and 156 GTA