Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
the_fish
Silver
Silver

New to the alfa world.

Post by the_fish »

Hey guys whats up, I might be getting a 86 GTV6, I am from the VW world, as I am trading a 63 bug for the car. It looks to be in good shape..... the lady that wants to trade, has no idea what motor is in it or any thing, all she says is that it's hard to get into 2nd gear when she drives it. I think it has a dual clutch disk in it...... So, is there any advice or any thing I should know about these cars?
superfly tnt
Silver
Silver

Re: New to the alfa world.

Post by superfly tnt »

probably worn syncro. with a little technique you can shift in second without noise. its also no big deal to renew the syncro.
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: New to the alfa world.

Post by MD »

The Fish....er is that with or without chips? haahha.

Ex bug owner eh?
That silky smooth little Vee-dubb shifter that you are used to swapping coggs with at the back should be like the Alfa transaxle but it's NOTHING like it. I strongly suggest you drive a transaxle owned by a friend that is in known good order for you to get an idea of how they actually perform. I think you will be in for some disappointment as invariably you will be continuously comparing it to the VW changer which is just superb whereas the standard Alfa one is anything BUT superb. Adequate is more like it. A saving grace is better ratios and an overdrive gear.

However, you may in time adjust to it and given the huge improvement in the rest of the Alfa's performance over the bug, you may just fall in love with it notwithstanding the gear change issue.

(..there are refinements that can improve it to acceptable levels.)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse