Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
aussiesmg
Silver
Silver

Newb with a 81 GTV6

Post by aussiesmg »

Just picked up my first Alfa, a 81 GTV6, pretty little car, has sat for 5 years, trying to get her running right now, I know she need a ball pivot which means a clutch also.

Further going to do the waterpump, tensioner and timing belt for good measure.

So far I drained the fuel, pumped the lines out, added new plugs but although she spins freely. there is no sign of her catching. Plugs show spark by the way.

When draining the tank I noticed the fuel was very low pressure coming out of the line, suspect the pickup is compromised, anybody care to comment?

Also has a stuck Aux Air valve, gave it a quick clean, but will do a better clean and the freezer trick to check it out.

Hopefully that will get her up and running. :)

Oh and as for cost, a princely $500, :mrgreen:

Steve
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: Newb with a 81 GTV6

Post by xrad »

welcome to the site! Pics, man...pics!!

Start with external fuel filter located in rear near the fuel pump. Check fuel pump as these can clog/rust as well.

Also, after sitting, injectors can sick in place. Injectors have little tinly screens on top which can also clog.

Start with fuel pump and work from there.

I would also suggest that you stick a small hose into the tank and drain out some of the gas. Look for tiny rust particle floating around.

When you get ther rear end in shape, there is also a cold start injector on the rear of the intake. this can be checked too.

Having spark is a good thing. Electrical faults are harder to track down than fuel line stuff....(except in my own case)
aussiesmg
Silver
Silver

Post by aussiesmg »

That was nearly the shortest love affair with a car ever. One of my drivers discovered a fuel leak under the rear of the car. He decides to leave it inside the shop and rigged a fuel pump to drain the tank, then while standing in the leaking fuel uses a jump starter on 55Amp to run the pump, whoomph.

Thankfully one of my other guys is a smart dude, he moved the outside cars, opened the door and pushed the GTV out while the other guy ran around looking for a extinguisher.

The craziest part is the fire starter is the wannabee fireman.

Nearly lost the shop and several cars, but it in fact turned out to be in minimal amount of damage.

Smoky the knucklehead is now banned from the shop.

That said thanks for the ideas, we will now be replacing the rear fuel lines also...lol
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

There can but be only one desriptor for this Dude.

Shit for brains.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

I think I saw the smoke from my house.....

How is the car??
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MD wrote:There can but be only one desriptor for this Dude.

Shit for brains.
Agree. Drop him like a bad habit, now.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!