Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Old England Alfisti

Post by drivers71 »

New to this BB, but very old to Alfas - having owned nothing but them for the past 30 years. GTV6 remains my favourite of all time, and I'm in the process of buying a 3 litre version from South Africa.
Photos are from the 1990s, when I raced a '6' in the Alfa Championship.
Cadwell Park 1992
Cadwell Park 1992
cp030592.JPG (59.12 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
Castle Combe 1993
Castle Combe 1993
cc110993.JPG (66.36 KiB) Viewed 4420 times
Oulton Park 1994
Oulton Park 1994
richOP3.jpg (36.76 KiB) Viewed 4419 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: Old England Alfisti

Post by xrad »

Hello there Drivers71!! Welcome aboard. I am sure you have much to tell us! Your Pics are great.

Cheers
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Welcome , dont mind me asking who you are buying it from as I used to run the South African GTV 3.0 register. Good 3.0 zero carbi's are the most fun to drive with that sound even double the fun of a wild 3.7 24v. The low down grunt with the short box make it alot of fun but way to under geared for touring.These cars should fetch huge money soon and a lot of chaps here are trying to buy them up. I have been offerd crazy money for mine and will not part with it. Are you sure its an origional. Can always pm me.
That race race car of yours looks like a serious race car.
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

kevin wrote:Welcome , dont mind me asking who you are buying it from as I used to run the South African GTV 3.0 register. Good 3.0 zero carbi's are the most fun to drive with that sound even double the fun of a wild 3.7 24v. The low down grunt with the short box make it alot of fun but way to under geared for touring.These cars should fetch huge money soon and a lot of chaps here are trying to buy them up. I have been offerd crazy money for mine and will not part with it. Are you sure its an origional. Can always pm me.
That race race car of yours looks like a serious race car.
Hi Kevin
The GTV6 is here in England at last - the import and Customs & Excise procedures were a total minefield, but it's almost registered for use now.
Trying to provide evidence of exactly where it was built is a real problem, but necessary in order to obtain a reduction of the import duties and VAT. The Alfa Homologation manager in Italy has no information, neither does the equivalent person in the UK. Alfa SA have not replied to any of my requests for definitive info either.
A further problem is that the VIN number on every document relating to the car is incorrect (original SA registration certificate, all the export forms - and therefore all the import forms) I checked this as soon as the car was unloaded from the container at Chatham, and it appears that one of the zeros is in fact a 'C'. So the chassis number is this: ZAR 116 C003500816 and not ZAR 116 0003500816
The attached photos should clearly show this, so the fact that it was incorrect during the last 25 years in SA is a little worrying.

Anyway, the car is immaculate and far better than I was expecting. Just a couple of electical items to fix.

I will PM you with the seller and his agents details, which may help you to tell me of the actual origins of the car.

Rich
Attachments
09060003A.JPG
09060003A.JPG (232.09 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
09230097A.JPG
09230097A.JPG (203.43 KiB) Viewed 4243 times
09230090A.JPG
09230090A.JPG (249.99 KiB) Viewed 4242 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Yeah , its typical here to write the numbers down wrong. Have had with a few of my company cars. The guy who signed these cars off in 1984 has just retired from FASA which is Fiat Alfa South Africa. I know him pretty well , so i will call him. Who did you send your emails to. Can help you out from this end. These cars are bullet proof if in correct hands and the carbs dont go out once set correctly or not fiddled with. My carbi GTV has not missed a beat in ten years but might need a few fast pumps on the accelerator if it has not been started for a few weeks, otherwise fires up first crank.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Driver 71,

Welcome to the Forum. Nice to see young owners coming on board to join this special fraternity to keep the fire alight and it is also great to see experienced owners doing likewise to share the experiences of these (collectivley) very special cars.

I look forward to your posts with interest.

Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Always lookig forward listening to the words of wisdom from the veterans. Welcome :)
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

Thanks for your kind words - and I definitely qualify as a veteran, rather than a 'youngster'.
My GTV6 is all ready to go now, apart from waiting for our Custome & Excise people to send me the signed off customs release form - needed in order to license the car for road use.
Various people have tried to explain the chassis numbering system (VIN) for the South African cars, and even Fiat/Alfa in SA, Italy and the UK have all offered different opinions, but none seem to have a definitive listing. There's a GTV6 register on the Alfa BB USA, listing a few GTV6s, but the VIN numbers are all over the place!
09090015A.JPG
09090015A.JPG (249.49 KiB) Viewed 4102 times