Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
daveseal
Silver
Silver

Hello

Post by daveseal »

Hello everyone...I am Dave...I am in Southern Cal and I have been an Alfa Romeo fan for a long time. My parents had a 1978 Alfa sedan. I am considering buying a GTV6, but I have a quick question or two.

One - how much does it cost to resolve an engine that leaks oil or needs a new head gasket?

Two - what does such a car generally cost, and can it be economical to purchase one which needs some engine work of that nature, assuming you get it for a low enough price, of course?

I have one that is for sale right now locally for the mid-3s. It seems to run well, but I'm a leeetle apprehensive about the fact that he had the engine compartment steam cleaned before selling it....
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: Hello

Post by xrad »

No matter what, at that price you will be fixing something.

be prepared for engine overhaul. gasket set 200$ rings 200$ bearings 200$ hoses and extras: 200

safe to say minimum:1000$ to get back to good shape (not including any head work or machining or mechanic time) unless PO can document a rebuild.

Then you have driveshaft guibos:400$

clutch: 100$-700

Brakes: 500$

electrical:?

Body:?

Steering: 100$(boots /joints)

You really had better be prepared for some work and I would not recommend buying one on a shoestring budget. Parts are everyday becomming harder to find and costing more.

You would almost be better off buying one in excellent shape for 5-7000$ where all the work is documented.

BUT, if you really are ready to experience those Italian car cliches, and have the time and cash, then get one!

take the car in question to a local mechanic who knows alfas and have it run through.
daveseal
Silver
Silver

Post by daveseal »

Thanks for the reply and the welcome.

I figured about as much. I didn't hear from the seller all day today, and I think he's trying to leverage another phantom buyer to try to drive the price up or motivate me. I'm gonna let it sit. It could be a great car for a good price, but there is something a little off about things, I sense. I will call it intuition.

In a couple of months I should better be able to afford one in the kind of shape I want. Is there anyone on here who knows of a clean GTV6 in Southern California that the owner would part with reasonably? If so, I'd appreciate any heads-up you can give me!
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Dave,
This forum is the best for tech info on the GTV6. The Alfabb is the best for buying and selling stuff related to Alfas. I don't know why...just is.

http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/index.php

I hope that helps,
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Agree with verde above. Also, check craigslist and of course ebay.