Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
xrad
Verde
Verde

XRAD'S ALFETTA

Post by xrad »

Just got delivered today. Of course, snowing, icy and 10 degrees outside...battery dead. Jumped with some ether and she started right up.

Some issues like small missing parts in the interior, box of goodies in trunk included gauge surrounds, plenty of little screws, and other items she shed over the last 32 years.

All the original manuals including service coupon book and some receipts still in car!

Carpet almost new. some dried rubber, etc

Looks like a repaint but still in very nice shape. Looks like new windshield, not one mark on it!
Attachments
IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5118.JPG (100.79 KiB) Viewed 13720 times
IMG_5117.JPG
IMG_5117.JPG (81.85 KiB) Viewed 13722 times
IMG_5116.JPG
IMG_5116.JPG (109.64 KiB) Viewed 13722 times
IMG_5115.JPG
IMG_5115.JPG (100.89 KiB) Viewed 13721 times
IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG (94.88 KiB) Viewed 13722 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Re: XRAD'S ALFETTA

Post by xrad »

some salt dust on car from the last 30 miles of drive, uncovered shipping. rest of transport from cali was covered otherwise would have been real mess.

PO left some oversized wiring dgms, which will be helpful, they measure about 30in long!

I won a set of slightly used 11.1mm cams from ebay. engine runs like a champ with no noise. even w/stethescope touching all parts of block and head. Needs oil change ASAP.

ooops, small explosion in frame?!?!?!? have to weld that together..looks like something was ripped out of there..maybe oil pan guard or tow hooks...???

Original hood padding decided to crap out on the engine as soon as I opened the hood. someone glued it to the hood in one corner....DOH

someone wired up the headlight switch to a dash switch so that will have to be addressed.

everything looks real good for 30+ years!
Attachments
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG (68.69 KiB) Viewed 13718 times
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG (85.54 KiB) Viewed 13716 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Ok so alfetta decided to never start again and I did the whole spica tuning, clip and spring check etc...

Findings: Two copper washers a spacers for TA. I can see why someone put them in there as the TA hot/cold change was 10mm, but the screw depth was not at 29mm. BUT, everything else was out of whack like:

1) the throttle plate settings too closed
2) throttle set screws for min and max not correct(actually, the throttle plates were closed but the throttle mechanism was NOT hitting the stop screw...gap of about 4mm!)
3) Throttle cable too loose
4) short throttle rod used to set the idle and therefore not correct length
5) Long rod to SPICA wrong length
6) TA depth way off so car running real rich (black soot out exhaust and on my driveway)
7) Leaking upper TA mount (missing O ring, and two messed up hold down screws/nuts)
8) idle adjustment had hard nylon washer in place and really whistled (of course, can;t adjust it, so that had to be replaced)

Good news:
1) TA throws 10mm at 180 degrees adn retracts all the way
2) Cold start solenoid works
3) Fuel cut off solenoid works
4) fuel pump works

Once all the above items reset, she fired right up and revved like a champ! NO sooty exhaust. Interestingly, althought the TA set screw depth was not exactly 28-29mm, once all the other things fixed, the final control arm gap was correct and she ran great..so I don;t reallyy care to mess with it any more.

Really revs nicely and cuts off without backfire. No bad noises from engine..needs oil change ASAP. Have to fix tinly pin hole radiator leak (which seems to go away when hot)

Some metal high pitched disc like ringing from mid and rear driveshaft..need to fix.

Anyway, enjoy the rev vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh8nSCpQ_rM

Some other pics:
Attachments
IMG_5127.JPG
IMG_5127.JPG (142.68 KiB) Viewed 13547 times
IMG_5125.JPG
IMG_5125.JPG (131.67 KiB) Viewed 13548 times
IMG_5123.JPG
IMG_5123.JPG (136.12 KiB) Viewed 13547 times
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5121.JPG (165.27 KiB) Viewed 13546 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Good going!

welcome to the world of the _____-______PO. (blankey blank Previous Owner).
I am very familiar with this from the 67 MGB GT that I have. (could be yours!)
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

THANKS 2Z!

2Z: If MG was mine, you would have bought a great running car! :D ...or do you mean the other way, where I could buy your PO nightmare... :(

Well, to be honest, I think the real first owner really kept up on the car as you can see, new brakes, lowered suspension, new head, paint, and many other items not shown. This PO probably had a very good mechanic as the 'older' 'newer' items look to be correctly installed.

The last owner probably did not even do an oil change and unfortunately, his 'mechanic' was not too good....actually, probably not really good..especially w/ alfa.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

When I started getting into Alfas I had read of numerous stories of how the Spica system had gotten messed up by well intentioned but uneducated (on the spica) mechanics.

Its part of why I went with the GTV6 instead of the Alfetta. The bosch system is a little more conventional than the Spica.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Wow man it actually has some CHROME on itself! :D
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

yes sir! And as we all know, chrome makes Alfettas faster!

the chromer, the faster

the seller said this was a daily driver...I don;t think so by looking at the rear brake discs

I bet it sat for the last few months judging by how it was tuned
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Just picked up a NICE ansa exhaust, barely used, from Alfabb member.

really nice twin tip unit. Used and painted, but still solid!

ooops...maybe I should get it off the carpet before...too late, wife sees it.. :roll:
Attachments
ansa.JPG
ansa.JPG (151.06 KiB) Viewed 13396 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Santa comes today 12 hours early!!

Thanks to an awsome UK parts guy, I just received this set of euro bumpers and mounts and new used turn signal switch to my door in less than 4 days!! for about
300$. Nice

Thanks to everyone who helped me try to locate a set, especially MD!
Attachments
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG (110.02 KiB) Viewed 13308 times
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

some more issues: some PO or mechanic decided not to replace the faulty column light switch and wire up the headlights with a dash mounted switch....but it's wired wrong...so to fix this later..

and a PO was nice enought o have installed a relatively new master brake cylinder, but just did not know that the 'original' alfetta reservoir tank does NOT fit the grommets well and the big cloud of white smoke every time you start the engine is NOT something to be ignored.. .....So this was corrected today...

ash tray cover has 3 screws/ retaining nuts, two nuts which were missing...(3mm if interested) I don;t know if this was a lazy Italian at the factory or they fell off later...

I got a GREAT set of rear euro lenses (brand new with screws and seals!!) from epocacar1 on ebay (EbayIt). sent very well packed, arrived in 4 weeks, and very good email contact and VERY good price...at least 100$ less than US prices(and those don;t come with screws or seals).

cheers
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Finally some time to work on the car:

Nardi wheel installed with adaptor. Got the wheel from a guy in JApan on ebay. Super fast shipping. Real nice unit..used.

PO/mechanic did some crazy wiring for the headlights. I got a used combi switch from england for 50$. Like new but switch wired for wiper w/delay so there are three extra wires and one extra conector.

With some time and effort and close comparison to old switch, I rewired the new switch. called for 4 wires to be cut and rerouted and elimination of some extra ones.

Also have to cut the surround as the wiper stalk travels further north by one click (4 positions opposed to 3)

WOW. on first attempt I have slow and fast wipers and washer works in all positions. First time I ever saw FAST wipers on one of my alfas!

Next was the headlight wiring. Basically just removed all the PO's shortcuts and plugged in the six wires into fuse box. For those of you who don;t know, the underside of fusebox is easy to get to if you carefully push the fusebox towards the driver kickpanel to release the retaining pin. then the whole thing drops down and you can remove the lower cover.

WOW, I now have all lights and dimmers working. Sweet. Just have to put in the headlight and starter relays......

Nardi unit is nice. smaller diameter but just about right for me. I would not go any smaller, and original is too big. Nardi measures about 14 1/4 inches dia.

Started right up after sitting for about 1.5 months! Nice
Attachments
nardi. New stalk switch does not have and letters on the handles..looks nice and was like new inside
nardi. New stalk switch does not have and letters on the handles..looks nice and was like new inside
IMG_5229.JPG (149.8 KiB) Viewed 13019 times
Think I need some thread and a needle....
Think I need some thread and a needle....
IMG_5218.JPG (140.66 KiB) Viewed 13019 times
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I'm beginning to wonder about you....first with the chrome....now with the powder blue seats... :shock:
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Easy there 2Zig... :o

Powder blue(and I mean it is turning to "powder'!!) going to be replaced by tan leather IF I can evey find someone to do it! world upholstry shows the exact pattern on their website, but they don;t have it when you actually go to order it.

So looks like a local interior shop....

as far as chrome..it came with the Alfetta..BUT I have to add on the stainless bumpers too!!! :D
xrad
Verde
Verde

Post by xrad »

Interior out to local upholstry shop..been around since the 40's so I figure they can handle it.

Did some body work. water collected in the taillights and of course, the steel dissolved so I had to fab some sheet metal mounts and bondo and prime and 501 alfa red (in a spray can made to match for 14$)

I think it came out great, you can see some of the work up close but who cares..

finished fixing the wiring of dash and tail lights so now "EVERYTHING" works correctly.

new gaitor on stick and hand brake.....

Seating will be leather on seating surfaces and vinyl for the rest, door panels done to match...color: light camel

local guy with a nice red alfetta bought the US bumpers, and I have the EU stainless ones ..just have to fab some mounts..
Attachments
primer, few coats of base, and 3 coats clear
primer, few coats of base, and 3 coats clear
IMG_5239.JPG (112.41 KiB) Viewed 12967 times
original reflectors, cleaned, wiring repaired, flat black base followed by Testors model chrome (3 coats)
original reflectors, cleaned, wiring repaired, flat black base followed by Testors model chrome (3 coats)
IMG_5242.JPG (116.29 KiB) Viewed 12967 times
New old stock lenses direct from the old country
New old stock lenses direct from the old country
IMG_5243.JPG (160.91 KiB) Viewed 12967 times
IMG_5241.JPG
IMG_5241.JPG (160.5 KiB) Viewed 12967 times