Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Kingbobdole
Silver
Silver

Mystery GTV6

Post by Kingbobdole »

Hi,
My name's Phil and I bought an Alfa. Actually the story of my GTV6 is kinda strange. I found the car on Craigslist back in about February. Called the guy, was on my way when he called me back. "Someone just picked her up" Great. Fast forward to this month when I was eyeing a Lotus Super Seven frame for sale and Emailed the guy a few times. Then on Saturday I called and wanted to pick it up, but ARG! Sold again. Then a friend of mine pointed me to a GTV6 on a VW forum for sale. Since I don't own Veedubs he set up the meeting and I went to pick it up. Low and behold, It's the same car from Feb. According to the guy, it's got a Milano motor in it, stock motor with it, and the car is in rough shape. I installed the cooling system, fuel system, bumpers and ignition and now it fires on starting fluid, but the pump doesn't run. I'll post more on that elsewhere... PICS!
Towed home

After a bit
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Re: Mystery GTV6

Post by Greg Gordon »

I figure it's either an 85' or 86'. I can't tell if it has the third brake light which would make it an 86. It does have the filler panel between the tail lights that was an 86' only item, but they are often retrofitted to earlier cars.

The car's wheels have been swapped for the earlier type. That's more common on the 1985 cars because they came with metric wheels for which tires are crazy expensive. Of course someone may have swapped them just because they like it better.

The late 85's and all 86's have what is essentially a Milano motor. Same throttle body crank pulley, head covers etc.

In any case your fuel pump issue is likely either the pump itself, the switch in the AFM or the double relay. See the tech article on my site for help with this issue.

Greg,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
Kingbobdole
Silver
Silver

Re: Mystery GTV6

Post by Kingbobdole »

Thanks Greg! I've actually already seen the article, switched the combi relay and the fuel pump, but to no success. I recently pulled the PCM apart to find it smells like burning so I'm currently on a hunt for a new one...

Also, The car is an 85 :D