Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Re: My rebuild!

Post by GarthW »

Hope these pics are ok? Bad light here this morning.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks alot Garth- I couldn't see how the filler neck surround was held in, other than by the screws on the the filler neck itself- turns out it snaps in to place under the lip where the filler hole is, I did get the fuel system all together, so I dropped and replaced the oil- It looked fine (it was replaced the last time I drove the car), but I will start her next week and let it idle for a while... exciting!

Thanks Kevin- I got your email the other day- I've been really flat out with work, so I haven't had a chance to re-size and post the images.

As far as the wheels are concerned, I'm pretty much committed to 17s. I have the 156 wheels on the front, and I've arranged to have the rear hubs changed when I get the car looked over for rego. because I'm not having much luck with the rears.

The 156 rims will stay for a bit until I get some new road wheels.
I did some ringing around, and it's actually getting pretty tricky to find somewhere with 16" rubber in stock... 17s is much easier.... 15s much easier, but 16s are hard unless you want a 60 profile!

The guy I met up with does all sorts of race car prep, but he's Alfa mad and as excited to work on my car as I am- a good combination!
We spoke about mods, and where I'm going with the car, what sort of drive is acceptable etc and he gets where I'm at, which is great.
The SZ bearing was discussed, but will probably be left alone. Modded DeDion will happen down the track and I'll go to the Performatek vented rear set up.... no cheaper discs have come up.
He is building a Chev racer ATM but when that car is out, mine is in.

In other news:

Still waiting on door trims and rear cards, ordered carpet from Tru-Fit and ordering Seals from MRFIAT.com

I'm having a hard time with the RHS wiper linkage.... can't get enough thread to show through for the nut to tighten - as in, I can't get any thread through at all.... The LHS/middle wiper point is fine.....

I've posted a picture of the bit I'm talking about... does anyone have any tricks here? Or am I being an idiot? Haha
Attachments
Wiper.jpg
Wiper.jpg (234.95 KiB) Viewed 7221 times
Boot.jpg
Boot.jpg (210.41 KiB) Viewed 7221 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

Wow - stunning and it's not even all together! You need squirrels to get those wiper nuts on...
Noticed that the battery isn't sunk in the boot like the US cars. keep on going, more pics too. 8) GV
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Gregory- I'm unsure about covering up my nice red floor with carpet!!
Fixing it bit by bit....
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

I was going to say, was your battery originally in the front? My battery is sunk in the boot also. Maybe it was just year difference?

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

My car was an 85 2.0- battery was up front. We removed the old 2.0 tank- could have put the battery in there.... May look at that down the track. For now, the repco battery box will do :)
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Hi Guys,

Been a bit slack with the updating, so here is a list of things I've managed to get done (will post some pics as soon as I get them off my phone!)

Sent my rear light circuit boards to Jeff Fowler @ http://www.Motozane.com to have them given his fairly extensive treatment.
Hoping that this, coupled with the wiring in of some relays for the front lights frees up a bit of current to brighten the lights. I'm sick of making excuses for crappy lights! Hopefully to arrive soon!

Had the seals arrive from MrFiat.com
These look like pretty good reproduction items, although some things to note if you follow suit-

The velvet on gasket seals for the doors and rear windows have a different velvet to the factory ones. No big deal, just noteworthy. They still look good.
The seals are supplied in a roll, which means that they will need to be cut to fit.... which is fine, it's just I've been shopping around for the Loctite 406 solution that will allow me to glue the joins together. No luck so far.

Dealing with the seals has been a massive jigsaw puzzle!!

Had carpet arrive from Tru-Fit. looks ok... no test fitting as yet.

The front and rear window frames didn't come up as nicely as I would have liked, so I had them sandblasted back to bare metal, hi-filled and re-painted. I'm picking them up tomorrow, along with my rear tail light lenses, door handles and a new fuel filler cap I bought (mine had been stolen a few years ago- I didn't think Alfa people stole from each other :cry: ?!!!)- all painted in satin black to match the trims.

After finding some reasonable aftermarket, generic seat rails (sold with Cobra bucket seats), for $195 a pair, I measured and realised I'd have to drill and weld a fair bit to get them working, so I had some better condition factory ones I scrounged off a mate sandblasted, and etch primed. My BMW mate welded some stands and steel plate onto them, and I've dummy mounted the Recaros up, which means I'll be able to drive the car out shortly- to have the rear wheel bearings and hubs changed, timing belt and water pump changed, RS stuff fitted etc

Impulse buy! I bought some 17" Zender Milano rims from Germany.... the car will pretty much be a full Zender GTV6- full kit and rims.
But I've run into a regrettable hitch... a really fking annoying hitch...

I arranged a price and paid for the rims, but didn't bid on the ebay listing..... and the guy's offsider accepted payment from someone else online and sent the rims off..... he's pretty certain he'll be able to find some other rims.... the postage was incredible, but I WANT THOSE RIMS!! AAARGHHHHHHHH!

The engine fires and runs first turn of the key, and after a few revs to get some heat into the forgies, idles beautifully.

I can't wait to make some videos of this little thing again.

Oh, I'm sending the "new" Haltech E11v2 off for a bench test and firmware update shortly as well. I'll be purchasing a platinum sport 2000 loom to wire in, and a modified billet Distributor with a hall effect sensor for a TDC ref off Fab (TT Alfetta 3.0). The haltech guys said they always had issues with the motronic stuff and the E11v2, so no 60-2. But this is for down the track.

Went to Wakefield park with my BMW mate and his 2002Ti sport sedan/F1 car the other day. A 2002 Spider Tspark put a rod through the block and left bits of crank on the track.... not the sort of publicity we need!

Better get out there and make a better name for us (and soon!)

Hope you are all well!
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Oh yeah... and got the fkn wipers going! Cleaned out the motor.. .they still run like crap... another mod to look into...
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Ok - windows and seals are in, but I will tidy up some bits- I was so worried about chipping paint (which I inevitably did- it was always going to happen!) that I cut some seals a little shorter than I liked. I have images and ill do a write up on the seals as a resource.

Car is not far off drive able- just needs seats!

Interesting work circumstance means I'll be dragging this last bit out, but I can speed it up by being able to drive it out.

This mechanic I'm going to try out has worked on Porsche cup cars and done factory rally car prep, but is a GTV nut (with a former vin sharp big bore 3.3 engine) is gonna help- hope I can afford to keep him!

Door trims look awesome, But I have all the winder pieces on bare at the moment, and only got 85% of the exhaust on (Used to exit in the centre but zender exits out LHS)- a bit like a hot weekend thrasher!
She should turn wheels under her own revolutions pretty soon
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

JK your book is addictive!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Just to break the monologue: GO, GO, GO!!!! :D

And more pics please... :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Thanks Mats- talking to yourself is one the first signs of madness, so writing to yourself has to be a little bit further down the path!

If anyone could take a pic of their seat rails I'd be much appreciated....

Here are some pics
Attachments
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2317.JPG (240.94 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
RECARO In
RECARO In
IMG_2333.JPG (198.91 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Door seal joined with Cynoacrylate glue
Door seal joined with Cynoacrylate glue
IMG_2322.JPG (183.79 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Re Trimmed door cards- test fit (ok I got excited- I'll wait till the end to fit these!)
Re Trimmed door cards- test fit (ok I got excited- I'll wait till the end to fit these!)
IMG_2315.JPG (189.15 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Seat rails-sandblasted and welded this tube on, have had some steel plate since welded on
Seat rails-sandblasted and welded this tube on, have had some steel plate since welded on
IMG_2266.jpg (171.82 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Last edited by SydneyJules on Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

And here's me being silly, revving the thing while it's on stands. I won't make a habit of it- I was just waiting for something to go wrong!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe39DIwZgCU&feature=plcp

It feels pretty good to have seats in it, to be able to sit there for the first time in 4 years!

And this is my mate who's been helping being an idiot as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG7AEv6cn8U&feature=plcp

The colour looks a bit weird in the vid (iPhone vid)- the rattle is the exhaust mount. Just have to tighten the bolt. Need the rear section of the exhaust (from after the De Dion) re-done to exit out the LHS, as it used to exit in the centre.
Fixing it bit by bit....
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Good Evening (morning- whatever it is where you are when you read this!) Gents,

Well, had a rush to get the car to over to Hugh Guthrie's workshop in my last few days off.

Just tied up a few loose ends-

The rear circuit boards arrived from Jef at Motozane.com
All I can say is "Wow!" - these look amazing AND the lights are so much brighter! I highly recommend these- combined with wiring in some relays at the front, I believe they will do wonders for the lights,
as the Steering column switch will only be directly powering the rear lights.

Screwed a few interior bits in and with my friend Beckie, decided to take her on a little drive up the street and back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS5vCaHGXpA

Here are some pics:
Attachments
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG (206.87 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
IMG_2461.JPG
IMG_2461.JPG (182.95 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
IMG_2460.JPG
IMG_2460.JPG (206.94 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
IMG_2459.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG (169.99 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2455.JPG (211.87 KiB) Viewed 6946 times
Fixing it bit by bit....
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

SsSSsssIIIIiiiiiikKkKk!!!!! :mrgreen: I think the rear deDion needs a bit of camber a widened with spacers :o :lol: