Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
xander18
Silver
Silver

Motorhead with an '83 GTV6 in Watervliet, NY

Post by xander18 »

Hello everyone,
Some of you may recognize me from the 'BB, I've been a pretty regular poster over there since I bought my GTV6 about three weeks ago. I'm a mechanical engineering student, lifelong car guy, I design and build race cars, and do some combustion/engine research on the side. I've also done quite a bit of work CNC programming and operating but I sold my personal mill to buy this car. Worth it.

The car is a 1983 I bought at a pretty good price. It's low on miles (65k) and I drove it home but the body is a tad rough. Not too rusty but a ton of little dents and stuff like that. Eventually I would like a Verde gearbox with an LSD, a 3.0L 24V, suspension (either coilovers or just the Koni yellow/Milano swaybar/stiffer springs combo), and more fun stuff like that. For now I'm just trying to keep the thing on the road and having a blast with it. It'll probably be out autocrossing next event.
Attachments
Alfa small.jpg
Alfa small.jpg (243.96 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Motorhead with an '83 GTV6 in Watervliet, NY

Post by kevin »

Welcome . This is the place to be . Are those compomotive rims . Look forward to watching your journey with your car .
xander18
Silver
Silver

Post by xander18 »

Yes they are. I had the option of the Compomotives or the stock rims when I purchased the car, I really like these. Considering stripping them back to all metal, the two tone is a little busy.

I don't think this one will be a nail biter, I don't have as much resources to put into Alfas as I would like. For the next few months I'll just be doing maintenance, relay conversions, stuff like that. Looking forward to having the resources on this forum for that.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Welcome to the real Alfa forum. Nice car, a red 1983 car with a sunroof is rare. Regarding the Verde transaxle, it's gearing is really too tall unless you build a motor with massive torque. The Platinum transaxle is a better choice. Michael describes the mod in the post about his red GTV6 in the "our cars" section.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
xander18
Silver
Silver

Post by xander18 »

Hi Greg, good to see you over here. I had dreamed of a high torque motor as well, I heard some crazy guy is making bolt on Magnusons! I might be able to get a 3.0L 24v for decent money, I would ideally build that up into something fun. Sigh, big plans. Right now I'm doing epic battle with rust.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Xander , as in pm I sent you , it is a real big effort going 24v route and even though you can get a motor cheap , the other accessory costs outweigh project . Reason why it was cheap for me is we did a few engines at the same time so it made sense . If I lived in the USA I would bolt that supercharger on in a flash but yes after you have done your suspension upgrades . If the shell is in doubt then don't spend anything on it until you have done all the suspension , brakes , engine mods and then if a decent shell comes along transfer all the parts over . Maybe look out for a 75 3.0 motor in meantime then supercharged that .
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Currently, I am not making a V6 supercharger kit, my new job, and my new Spider supercharger kit are taking up all my time. Plus the newer superchargers are so far ahead of the old MP62 I was using, it's time for a redesign anyway. Add that to the fact that current customers are wanting more power and less noise than the older kit was designed for, and it's time to make a newer kit.

I will make another kit sometime in the future. In the meantime, anyone who wants to supercharge gets my full support, I have pulleys, fuel injectors, and other items that will be needed, plus tech help. A few customers have made their own kits on some fairly low budgets. That's a fact I am proud of as it shows my book does give the information needed.

One guy in Europe is tearing up the tracks with his low budget 2.7 liter (2.5 crank in a 3.0 block) using a salvage yard supercharger.

For some low cost bang for the buck items, start with suspension. A Verde sway bar up front along with poly castor and watts linkage bushings are a good start.

Greg,
www.hiperformancestore.com
www.okinjectors.com
Alfex
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfex »

welcome, nice to see another red GTV6.

Looks like series 1 seats in leather... ?

What type of dash has it got

Aido :)
xander18
Silver
Silver

Post by xander18 »

Kevin, I'm definitely not in a hurry to do the motor swap. The car is a lot of fun as it is and I would much rather spend my money on coilovers or at least the koni/swaybar/poly bushing treatment before a 24v. That said, I have experience with standalone ECUs and all the trimmings so the idea of putting some totally out of place but stupid fast Alfa motor in is tempting (I keep hearing the number 3.7L being thrown around on here).

Greg, that's good because I couldn't afford to buy a kit from you anyway. I make up for my college student financial resources with time and engineering so I would probably do a junk yard conversion if I were to do anything. I will most likely be taking a look at your book on it and other miscellaneous resources though.

Alfex, I was nervous I was going to wind up with one that's not red. They look great in red and it's my first Italian car, I wanted the whole package. Those are definitely not the stock seats. It looks like a previous owner was trying to make it into a Balocco clone. It used to have Balocco C pillar badges (I saw them in an old pic of the car, now it has some crappy aftermarket square ones) and the Alfa Romeo badges beneath those plastic pieces are the approximate size and shape of a Balocco badge. I assumed that the seats I have were either Balocco seats or meant to look like them. The piping isn't red but has a red spiraling stripe. When you say Series 1 do you mean Alfetta? The dash appears to be a stock GTV6 piece, though it is in mint condition.
Alfex
Silver
Silver

Post by Alfex »

Hi Xander, they look like series 1 GTV, or indeed Alfetta seats covered with leather.

I have an 81 GTV6, reckon its car 250 off the line and it has the series 1 split dash, which is essentially the Alfetta GTV. Your door does not have the lower plastic, which i thought might be typical for an 82/83 USA model.

You'll never leave Italian now. I always wanted an X1/9, but they rust so badly in Ireland its hard to get a good one. I picked up the GTV6 in Feb and am loving it. Was brought up with Fiats, Lancias and more recently Alfas.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4294

Had an Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD, which never made it to market in the USA.

Daily driver is a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, which is a shame was never sold in the USA either.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1 ... ition.html

Happy motoring...