Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
MD
Verde
Verde

The Mikey Duk (MD) Factor

Post by MD »

Well it's time to drop the shorts and show you what I got. It's a 164 conversion. Took me about 4 years from plan to floor pan but the pain was worth it. You know it's ok for you guys in the States or perhaps Europe to poke about with these cars because the parts should be readily available being high volume markets.

Try doing it in the land of OZ and you run up the proverbial dry gully all the time. However, even though it is a bit tough sometimes, we sail on 'cause we just love these little bastards. In Australia, Alfa Romeo is one of the smallest represented marques and yet it has the highest club membership of any make on a quota basis ! This is despite the company pulling out of the country for a number of years. That's real brand loyalty for ya.

I got heaps of detail photos but the posting seems to limit them to these few so check out additonal posts to follow.

Anyhow, enjoy the pics and I'll get back to sorting out another BMW in the mountains.. :D
Attachments
Alfa Chilli 2.jpg
Alfa Chilli 2.jpg (94.57 KiB) Viewed 12497 times
Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0L.jpg
Alfa Romeo GTV6 3.0L.jpg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 12496 times
Cabin air intake vents2.jpg
Cabin air intake vents2.jpg (143.92 KiB) Viewed 12496 times
Seamless nose piece.jpg
Seamless nose piece.jpg (205.69 KiB) Viewed 12496 times
Engine bay vents2.jpg
Engine bay vents2.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 12497 times
Last edited by MD on Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

It's beautiful. Congratulations!
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thanks Maldi. Here's some more for ya..
Attachments
The 164 conversion sitting under the 2 litre bonnet. Makes a nice sleeper..
The 164 conversion sitting under the 2 litre bonnet. Makes a nice sleeper..
Top view of engine install2.jpg (202.63 KiB) Viewed 12448 times
This is a provision to move the exhaust pipes from going under the front cross member and getting flatted all the time to being next to the firewall to prevent that and have a 45 instead of a 90 bend
This is a provision to move the exhaust pipes from going under the front cross member and getting flatted all the time to being next to the firewall to prevent that and have a 45 instead of a 90 bend
Floor Pan Exhaust mods2.jpg (180.35 KiB) Viewed 12447 times
How to fix the transaxle shifter permanently
How to fix the transaxle shifter permanently
Selector conversion bare bones2.jpg (178.96 KiB) Viewed 12447 times
ummm, yum.
ummm, yum.
Finished selector installation.jpg (115.73 KiB) Viewed 12450 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

..more on the theme..
Attachments
Office before completion2.jpg
Office before completion2.jpg (176.11 KiB) Viewed 12438 times
Custom made seat from the original. Reinforced everywhere and use of graded foams in key areas. Covered in kangaroo hide - soft but tougher than Sylvester Stalone
Custom made seat from the original. Reinforced everywhere and use of graded foams in key areas. Covered in kangaroo hide - soft but tougher than Sylvester Stalone
Driver's seat2.jpg (163.35 KiB) Viewed 12438 times
For road use the half cage is better no cage
For road use the half cage is better no cage
Decommissioned rear seats2.jpg (156.29 KiB) Viewed 12438 times
..just needs a camera stand..
..just needs a camera stand..
Roll cage boot view2.jpg (179.03 KiB) Viewed 12440 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ultimately, I gotta come clean.

I only did it so I could get some hot birds to perve on my good thing.. :D
Attachments
Seagulls in awe Murray River2.jpg
Seagulls in awe Murray River2.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 12427 times
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Geez MD thats one sorted car! I think you've given Grand Turismo a new meaning with those photos from all over the country, covered alot of k's there and what a great car do do it in. Nice one
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

8) have you got more pics of the headers or are you still brewing on that one....
I like the idea, downside is that the inside of the car will become very hot.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Maurizio
I made this provision for my exhausts as I originally had intended to supercharge the V6. I also made a pretty exotic cold air intake sytem to go with that. Note that in the engine bay you cannot see an air cleaner? That's because it lives inside the right hand side front mudguard.

Well, once I got it all cookin' on the road ( and bear in mind this is a road car) I found that the balance between power, and handling was about right for my purposes so I then decided not to go with the supercharger as it was just going to be over the top.

So to answer your question, the provision is there if I ever want to use it but I am currently not doing so. The heat issue is correct but it is possible (and would be necessary) to also install heat shields and insulation of the pipes. The upside is that you never have to worry about flat engine pipes.

I have given myself a challenge to invent a new type of driveshaft for this vehicle and I have a few plans in mind already. If and when that eventuates, I will think about putting on a hair drier on the donk. Until then I am taking it easy on those friggin doughnuts.
Last edited by MD on Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Very nice indeed.

Thats one hell of a gearshift boot.

Go the aussie alfas! :D

Also, I think the guys in the USA have a harder time with Alfa related business. Alfa havent existed in the USA for a long time now.
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

One other unique thing about my rig is the way we sorted out the electronic speedo problem having a Veglia Speedo head and a Jaeger sender in the twin spark transaxle that is now fitted to the car. Like all of you who develop a problem when you do the same, my speedo was reading and reporting on various phases of the moon and giving me tide reports instead of speed readings.

The solution was to use a commercial VDO ratio converter coupled to a home made interface . The bulk of the credit for this set up must go to a good friend, Daniel Kirk.

The grey box under the floor pan houses all the electronic gismos that are needed but this is only because I have no back seat and I didn't want it in the cabin where it would normally live.
Attachments
The grey box on your left houses the VDO Ratio Converter and Interface for the TS Box and original Speedo function.
The grey box on your left houses the VDO Ratio Converter and Interface for the TS Box and original Speedo function.
Under rear chassis.jpg (130.58 KiB) Viewed 12324 times
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

well done MD, we may need to compare notes some day. my 24v engine is being built now but awaiting some parts - BARRY !!!!
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
Billy
Gold
Gold

Post by Billy »

MD,
Great job and wonderful beauty !
It seems that you and I have the same idea on how those beautiful GTV6 should be treated.
All in details !
Be sure that I'm already looking for other pictures of your "baby"

Billy

P.S. My tires are now fine and turn perfectly balanced. Once again, Thanks !
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Thank you Bill.

Like all projects, they seem like they are a fluid thing constantly improving. Some of the photos of the car on the forum are already out of date with minor improvements here and there but anyway you look at it, these cars are just made for tinkering and enhancing.

The best part about it is that if you do, you wind up owning not just a good car but a great car. Unlike spending your time on some other buzz boxes that you see people do all the time.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mr C,parts are packed and ready to ship once I get yer rings and stuff..
That`l be 4 Haltechs thank you very much :D :D :D :D

Mike,without clanging your nuts here,what does your car weigh at the moment??
Be honest,with my fat arse in the giulietta,Im up at 1400kg!!!!!! Nearly had a codenza!!
Talking of which.........Nah,Ill start another thread....
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Really nice wheels MD, the 3 liter conversion is looking like the way to go.
Need to start looking for a cheap 164.

Barry, want a cheap holiday in N.Z???? :D :D

Come and build me a nice engine , free board etc.... castles, boeries and biltong on the house mate.... :wink: