Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Re: Mats Strandberg (SWE)

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Very sorry for the loss. But i do hope you'll stick around to keep some of the others under control.
Drive it like you stole it...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Fuck it, it's only stuff and money.
No one was hurt and my life hardly stop because of this.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

There there , now that's the Mats we to got know :D
Hey you going through the first phase of Alfa denial :D
Many years ago my dad and I restored a Giulia and it was stolen along with all the Alfa factory tools in our garage - these were sold for scrap metal .. I think only two minutes goes by now that we don't think about it as it was journey and memories doing it .
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Mats,

I know you and me have had some differences over the years but you have to believe me when I say that I truly feel your loss. Not just the money, the pain of self denial to work on the car when you could have been doing something else. Not the car itself as it could have ultimately been totalled on the track anyway but the lack of fulfillment in achieving your inspirations that substantiates your skills and talent. A complete loss of pride. How do you put a price on that?

My best wishes in whatever you chose to do to replenish your self belief. We all believe in you. Even Kevin does but his contribution is not worth that much cause he still believes in the tooth fairy. :shock:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Thanks guys. The feeling of emptyness is quite surreal, every five minutes or so I have to stop myself: Ok, drop that problem, the car is gone. Five minutes later, the same thing again.
Just now I thought: Hmm, I need to go and get the C-tek for the 155 winter storage... Right, it's gone. :|
Just thinking about all that stuff you accumulate, workshop manuals, Original AR special tools, all sketches/garage drawings and build documentation for the GTV (had two full notebooks of just information. Electrical drawings, electrical logic documentation and so on.
All my tools... My new race engine, the ECU hadn't even been powered up, all the parts that were brand new that had just been mounted and waiting to be used like the Wire harness built from scratch, all new fuel system, big brakes, ETCC wheels with new tyres, instrumentation, cooling system. I guess the only thing used was the part you don't want to use, the cage. I bet it took quite a hit from when the roof collapsed...
Three complete gearboxes, rebuilt. 4.1, 4.3 and 4.55. How do you value that? I put quite a lot of heart into those boxes (let's not even begin to talk about the engine).
Datalogger, race track tools like pressure gauge, toe/camber tools, laptimer, the old carb engine, a V6 engine in the making with all brand new parts I was doing for a friends GTV6, a spare set of Ross pistons, tons of rare spares...

Good thing I take a lot of pictures, those will be nice to have down the line I think. Just to pull them out and remember.
Maybe do one final update to onemanracing.com with a huge gallery of pictures, most never seen before. Not now though, a bit too much right now. :(

MD: I think we both know that even if you don't agree with someone it doesn't mean you can't respect them. Thanks.
kevin wrote: Ps don't leave the forum , we value your engineering input and dry humour - unlike Md's
This cracked me up. :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

Oouch... not much to say, this hurts for sure, major crap :|

On the positive note, now you have a legal excuse to buy that bmw race car. :wall:
:lol: :mrgreen:

On the serious note, I hope you 'll find the courage, motivation and time to start a project in a while.... ones those old crappy alfa are in the system and you'll fall in love again.
Just drive a well set-up transaxle.... for a few kilometres on public roads.
Last edited by Maurizio on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, I for one would love to see the gallery. I have been watching your excellent work for years, and really enjoy not only your work, but your attitude on the forum.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

That is terrible news indeed. Given time, hopefully you will be able to move forward , as your posts and threads have been most inspirational to read. A very sad tale and sorry for your loss :(
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

A bump in the road Mats ...granted, a fuckin big one but a bump none the less.

Yes, the rare items, collected over a lifetime, the personal notes, little thing here and there...sad to hear of this bud, real sad.

Time to recollect here perhaps and maybe see that 444rw K/w Gt-r in your future hey... :wink:

Now if that does not spur you on to get another Alfa up and running soonest, nothing will.. :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Sorry to hear about this.

The sadness will pass.

Soon you may be a wee bit angry about it, but that will pass.

Later, you'll get to "OOOH I get to build that new car!" :idea:

Scott
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Strong pictures...

The metal frame top left is where we entered the garage, there used to be a wall diagonally down to the middle of the bottom of the picture but it has crubled..
Just left of the middle you can see a 105 Bertone hood quite clearly and a tool chest below it, to the right of the tool chest is a VW bug convertible under the caved in roof. Below that are some wheels and to the left of those you can see a square shaped object. That is the wall hung metal cabinet where we kept all the club owned tools like speedglass welding helmet, the impact guns (2), tire pressure gauge and so on. Just below that there are a few metal beams, thats the engine hoist that was parked right next to my spot and under the black roof section in the bottom middle of the pic is my GTV... The close up is of that section

furthest back in the room you can see the burned out carcass of a 350+ bhp Fiat 20v Turbo and next to that under som roofing material is an Alfa 155 Q4, you can also make out the MINT Fiat 125 -72 in line with the Coupe. Same owner.
There are also two Volvo 240, two GTV6ers (one had a 3.2 GTA engine and was immaculate, a Porsche Boxter track day car, a pretty unique Saab 99 Turbo with a 16v turbo in it but still retained the perfect original look, same owned had a Lotus Elise with dry sump and trottle bodies and Öhlins race suspension..

You get the point.

Sorry for the small pics but 250kB size limit is really quite small.
My server is still down after my move.
Attachments
My spot...
My spot...
IMG_0728.PNG (117.54 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
Overview
Overview
FullSizeRender.jpg (168.99 KiB) Viewed 6877 times
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

MR2 Zig wrote:Sorry to hear about this.

The sadness will pass.

Soon you may be a wee bit angry about it, but that will pass.

Later, you'll get to "OOOH I get to build that new car!" :idea:

Scott
Fast Forward please...

Barry wrote:A bump in the road Mats ...granted, a fuckin big one but a bump none the less.

Yes, the rare items, collected over a lifetime, the personal notes, little thing here and there...sad to hear of this bud, real sad.

Time to recollect here perhaps and maybe see that 444rw K/w Gt-r in your future hey... :wink:

Now if that does not spur you on to get another Alfa up and running soonest, nothing will.. :D
Maybe time to do the "Stupidest project ever" that has been brooding in my head?
I have the 155 V6 still, great body condition.
A friend has a complete drivetrain from a R34 GT-R
3.2 GTA engines are really not that pricey
Turbos in that size are really not that hard to come by...

But really, it would take too feckin long and cost me another fortune.
Also, I don't have the Larini sticker kit. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
75evo
Verde
Verde

Post by 75evo »

That's painful. I hope you get your rightful compensation soon.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

No can do without stickers.....
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Joemart
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Joemart »

OMG... Mats... Just saw that.... It is absolutely terrible...... I know it's only a material thing, but 10 years of love and labour..... sorry