Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Michael's GTV6 updates!

Post by Michael »

A couple of people have asked me for details on my cars current setup - specifically the RS Racing suspension and the 4 pot brakes, so I'll start a new thread on this here.

Here is a pic I took yesterday morning, at dawn just as the sun was rising. Note the Euro bumpers :D
Attachments
Seattle, September 2005
Seattle, September 2005
front_fog.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 8519 times
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big Brakes!

Post by Michael »

Brakes

Since I started using my GTV6 on the track, I found it to be extremely well suited to that use with the big exception being the brakes. The first few laps were usually great, but then they would invariably start fading. This problem was accentuated when I improved the handling (discussed later) and installed a 3 liter engine. It was clear that the weak link in the chain was the braking system (well, if we exclude the driver from the equation :?). I tried all sorts of things to remedy the problem like slotted disks/rotors, exotic pads and high temp racing brake fluid, but never solved the problem entirely. I suppose it is also possible that I as the driver uses the brakes too much since I know other GTV6/Milano drivers who do not have any problems. Anyway, I decided to use the 'brute force' approach to solving the problem by installing custom disks with a custom bracket in order to install Porsche 944 Turbo brake calipers (really just 4 pot Brembo calipers). I happen to own such a Turbo too which is one of the reasons I decided to use this type of disk. I was lucky enough to find a lightly used pair of calipers for a reasonable cost that you see on the car now. The installation had to be done somewhat hastily, so I have not yet had a chance to repaint them (at which point, I'll be able to remove the 'Porsche' embossed lettering
:wink:

The adapter brackets allow one to bolt the (much) larger calipers to the Alfa spindles. The entire 'kit' was designed and built by Larry Jr. at Alfa Parts Exchange and I can enthusiastically recommend it. http://www.apedirect.com/

The wheels are 16" MAS MGR ... not terribly well suited to track use since they are pretty heavy. I'll be looking for some (light) track wheels this winter.

Pads are SBS Carbon Ceramic pads - actually made for endurance racing. One of the advantages of the 944 Turbo calipers is that there are lots and lots of pads to choose from. These are great pads. I've done 2 track events on them and they are not terribly worn either. Wor fine on the streets too.

The rear brake setup is from the SZ Zagato. Stock Alfa calipers, with an aluminium spacer to allow fitment of SZ Zagato vented disks. Easy installation and they have performed very well too.

The master cylinder is stock GTV6 but I will likely install a replacement from a 164 since I understand that this improves the pedal feel a bit. This is not a high priority since the brakes work perfectly well as they are. I could also install a bias valve so that the braking effort is vectored more towards the front of the car.
Attachments
944 Turbo Brakes
944 Turbo Brakes
Brakes.jpg (55.55 KiB) Viewed 8509 times
Last edited by Michael on Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Here you can see the bracket assembly (I painted it yellow). I was able to retain the use of the original metal shield, and even the Alfa hard brake pipe which I re-bent using a brake pipe bending tool. Those stainless steel braided hoses are ones I've had on for years.
I did have to switch the balance pipes on the caliper from top to bottom since the Alfa has the caliper mounted on the leading edge of the brakes and the bleed nipple obviously needs to be on top in order to bleed the brakes.
Attachments
944 Turbo Brakes - adapter bracket
944 Turbo Brakes - adapter bracket
bracket_mount.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 8503 times
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Suspension

http://www.alfaromeo-performanceparts.com
That about says it all :)
Ron Simons makes some awesome performance bits for Transaxle Alfas and I have his front and rear coil-overs installed as well as a set of sway-bar end links which you can see in the previous photo.

I have attached a pic of the front suspension setup. As you can see, the standard shock is replaced by this coil-over helper. This solved my understeer problem by stiffening it markedly and allows the suspension to be lifted or lowered through a small range pretty easily. I had one of Ron's early setups which complicated the installation somewhat (I found I needed to compress the struts using a hydraulic press and hold them like that using wire .. somewhat like a champagne bottles retainer in order to maneuver them into position). Later versions of the kit apparently dont even require this. Even so, it was no too difficult and the results are fantastic. At the 2005 Alfa Convention, 2 cars were fitted with this RS Racing suspension (mine and John VanRensburg's ... aka 'JungleJustice' ... Milano Verde ) and as you can see, both cars did pretty well :)
http://potlatch.nwalfaclub.com/timetrials.html

Going forward, I plan to install the rest of the RS Racing package, particularly the Watts linkage replacements since I'm still running stock components there. He also sells an even heavier sway bar which I'd consider - I currently have a Shankle 27mm front sway bar with a Milano Verde rear bar.
Attachments
suspension_RS.jpg
suspension_RS.jpg (111.42 KiB) Viewed 8488 times
Last edited by Michael on Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
1981 GTV6
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Euro bumpers

Vince in the UK (http://www.gtvince.com/index.html) sent me a set of Euro GTV6 bumpers a few months ago. The look (to my eye at least) of Euro bumpers is great and I reckon I got a good performance improvement at the track having removed my US bumpers. I was really amazed how much the US bumper assembly weighs since I put them in storage in my attic ... fully assembled with brackets and shocks etc then had to heft them up into the attic - not exactly easy to do :shock: . The euro bumpers are much lighter.

Thanks again to Vince for finding this set for me (I understand that they are becoming pretty rare now).

I painted this set black to match the trim on my car.
Attachments
lside__sept2005.jpg
lside__sept2005.jpg (45.34 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
rearright_sept2005.jpg
rearright_sept2005.jpg (53.07 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
rright_sept2005.jpg
rright_sept2005.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 8481 times
fleft2_sept2005.jpg
fleft2_sept2005.jpg (49.67 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
Michael
1981 GTV6
81GTV6
Gold
Gold

Post by 81GTV6 »

The brake write up you did is amazing. I will hopefully be doing the same mod to my track car this spring. Thanks for the info!!!
Jacob Ricciotti

'81 GTV6 3.0
'81 GTV6 Track car
'91 164S daily driver
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

looking good!
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Hi Michael,

Now were the tires Falken Azinas 215/45-16 ?
Engine pretty much stock except for S-cams & headers ?
Stock tranny or something else with an LSD ?

Sure enjoyed the convention time trials. Worked the September lapping day but thinking about signing up for the October track day.

Keep up the good work !

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

I think those are 205/40/16 Falken Azenis RT-615 (new model). The 215/45/16 has not come out yet.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Very nice car :D any videos at the track with current set up?