Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
moz
Silver
Silver

Alfa Romeo Milano Rally car

Post by moz »

I have been rallying for 3 years now and thought I should post some pictures.
Attachments
617-Splash.jpg
617-Splash.jpg (254.05 KiB) Viewed 11356 times
moz
Silver
Silver

STPR

Post by moz »

Thanks to Onalimbracing.com for the picture
Attachments
07_G.jpg
07_G.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 11352 times
moz
Silver
Silver

Lake suprior Pro Rally 2005

Post by moz »

Brockway Mountain drive. Thanks again to Onalimbracing.com
Attachments
48_G.jpg
48_G.jpg (120.97 KiB) Viewed 11356 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Good one Moz,Where and what country??
moz
Silver
Silver

Post by moz »

Michigan USA.
We are racing in Bancroft Ontario Canada November 26. THe crowds in Cananda are great. We DNF last year on the first stage. That was our second DNF in 9 rallies. The Alfas' rotor and distributer cap were shattered on a rough landing off a jump (I was trying to win the whole rally on the first stage). This year we will take it easier on the first stage (24 jumps last year) and also will bring a spare distibuter and rotor.
We run several track events in the summer time, but nothing compares to stage rallies. Yes it is fun to fine tune each corner on a track and improve your times, but in rally you have to trust your codrivers' instruction on what happens after the turn. That is only be so few words at a fast pace. It is a team event.
The Alfa turns alot of heads at the rallys'. There are alot of Subarus' and VWs' racing. Not many Alfas'. The first question is WHY? What can I say to that? I still have not found the perfect response.
moz
Silver
Silver

Post by moz »

I have just read another post and noticed most of the members here are through out the world. I must humble myself, on my last post on trying to describe rally to you. You folks KNOW rally! Rally is not very popular here in the USA. Forgive me Please.
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Post by hutchensgd »

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Glenn
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

moz wrote: There are alot of Subarus' and VWs' racing. Not many Alfas'. The first question is WHY? What can I say to that? I still have not found the perfect response.
Perfect response: "Because there are a lot of Subarus and VWs racing"

If you are an Alfa guy chances are you took the road less traveled simply BECAUSE it was the road less traveled.

PS Love the car. Give 'em hell out there!
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

And Moz, please post a write-up after your next rally. We would all love to hear about it.
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Great pic s Moz, i new there had to be someone racing thier transaxle on the dirt!
how did you modify the suspension to handle the off road punishment not to mention the jumps!

please post some more pics, and video if any :D
moz
Silver
Silver

Post by moz »

I added stiffer springs in the rear and raised them 100mm. The front torsion bar was adjusted to increase the height. We still lose the rear of the exhaust on most rallies. The Alfa does not have much cround clearnace.
Attachments
346.jpg
346.jpg (200.49 KiB) Viewed 11164 times
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Great thread! I have been wondering how a milano would do in rallying. I am in Wisconsin and I have thought about trying to run my (parts) platinum in the rally that I have heard takes place in Michigan's U.P. annually.
Did you do many other mods? I see polycarb windows. I immagine a full cage and other safety items. Are you running a platinum box? Is it generally a very expensive proposition to run?
How does the Dedion fare on the uneven off road surfaces? I surmised that the Alfa's generous travel would be well suited to the sport. Other cars must lower their travel in order to corner. My stock verde has huge travel, but still corners very well compared to pedestrian ricers and such.
If you are running in the U.P. please post so that I can come and watch.
-James
moz
Silver
Silver

Post by moz »

Snow at Tall Pines rally this weekend. Looks like we will be at a disadvantage in this rally. I drove the car today in the snow with the dirt rally tires and had little traction. We have a set of haklas' snow tires to put on the car, but a RWD car in the snow is still not as fast as the FWD cars. I have also added a longer skid plate to help protect the exaust as it passes below the front transmission beam. I am toying with the idea of routing the exuast through the rear seat foot well and over the transmission beam.
Here is the link to rally http://www.tallpinesrally.com
moz
Silver
Silver

Post by moz »

Did you do many other mods? I see polycarb windows. I immagine a full cage and other safety items. Are you running a platinum box? Is it generally a very expensive proposition to run?
How does the Dedion fare on the uneven off road surfaces? I surmised that the Alfa's generous travel would be well suited to the sport. Other cars must lower their travel in order to corner. My stock verde has huge travel, but still corners very well compared to pedestrian ricers and such.
If you are running in the U.P. please post so that I can come and watch.
-James
The car is stripped. It does not have any of the hood or trunk hinges. Full cage, 5 point harness and racing seats mounted to the floor. I had to lower the steering column. The car has manual steering, no power. In the future I will add it back.
I am now running a silver trans. I have verde trans being rebuilt because it will not go into first gear (see question on trans forum). The big problem with the dedion frame is the clearance. On a high centered road the frame will drag and I will lose traction. We do well on flat roads, but the rutted 2 tracks stages give us slower times. The car attracts alot of attention at a event. The current car is wearing out. I have Verde waiting to be transformed into the new rally car.
The rally in the Michigans UP is in the 3 weekend of October. http://lsprorally.com/
moz
Silver
Silver

Post by moz »

Tall Pines Rally update.
We had over 100mm snow and the snow continued to fall.
We were doing well and had 1 place in class until we rolled on a turn R3 tightens to 2. We rolled 1.5 times down a bolder and tree lined hill 10 meters down. The car rested on the driver side of the vehicle against a tree after bouncing off of 2 bolders. Both I and the Codriver Jay climbed out of the car unhurt. The car is not so well. The roll cage and other saftey equipment made just a strange odd type of "surereal" ride. It took the sweep crew 4 hours to extract the car from its spot. The Alfa tow points on the front held up to allow the crew to actually lift the car out.
I will add photos when they are available.