Anything that does not fit into other topics.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Hey Ben Welcome back!! Read alot of your 2.0 ltr GTV posts on the old site good stuff!

I guess withdrawl from this GTV addiction only last so long :D

Matt
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Carel,yea,I know...and I have a load of brand new stuff for it....*drool*..Gotta finish your motor first though....

Hey tom,greetings..It was an Alfetta strada coupe,but Im not sure as to a Gtam..To be quite honest here,Ive never heard of an ALfetta gtam untill now....Bloody AUSSIES,gtam`s..beat us at cricket,rugby,table tennis..An now they got plates on old Alfa`s saying Gtam...At least us Sarf Efrikans know its just an old gt.....

Matt,My car was written off in the days of fax machines,never mind digital photos...Ill post something here,but its a scan of a bad photograph...
Attachments
IM000390.JPG
IM000390.JPG (75.56 KiB) Viewed 9137 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Told ya it was fuzzy....
Attachments
Barry.jpg
Barry.jpg (255.91 KiB) Viewed 9142 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D This car I built in 1986..It had the Bmw headlights ,16" equips,20l turbo(carbs,NO intercooler--an e36 m3 nightmare..)(venolia forged pistons those days..)std gtv6 brakes(its all that was available,besides I was poor-was?) Leather Recaros(never again,bloody hot)..It was fun..
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

And now you're a Guru! on a gtv6 bulletin board... :)

Very cool car, in -86 it must have been the shit! :shock:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

Bloody brilliant Barry! :D What was the non intercooled running like, nothing under 2500/3000rpm then all hell breaks loose? or very tractable and able to pull high gears from low rpm?? Was 'living with the blow thru carb set up day to day? no worries or a bit tempremental?? Was it a 7.1 comp ratio?? Was it running o-ringed liners, how much boost could you use??/ and power achieved :D

Airbox seems 'combined' did you seal up metal base (compressed air) and use top plastic housing/filter for compressor inlet?

They are the deepest dish/wide rims i've seen on a GTV 8) what size tyres did you run

Geez so many questions need to dedicate a thread to your car!!

Sorry to hear it was written off :cry: My gtv on the left was written off after i sold it, i was at the wreckers 1 year later after some parts noticed the gold mesh delta wheels for sale in the reception....asked what they came off.....could nt bring my self to go out in the yard and see what was left it :cry:
It would have been the perfect GTV for this turbo kit......i wish
Thanks Matt
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

Here's to long lost friends....

Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Barry,

In 1986 I was not even in high school yet.
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

I miss this one, maybe Delta wheels on GTVs are cursed :twisted:

Me too Zamani hehehe Farrk thats 20 years ago but

'86 was good year for movies......like top gun

I think i had a commodore 64 computer too, you know the ones with a cassette that took 1/2 hour to load :D
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:D Mats,yea...I was the cats balls in those days..anyone who could anihalate the m3 then was like revered...Id hurt him bad,wait for him to catch up,and then nail it again...pulled like 10 car lenghths on him very quickly....

Matt,you learn in leaps and bounds when you have something as un refined as I did then..You know ,the bmw 2002 tii was available then to a few guys and they were crap..no drivability at all...I ran all of 7.2:1 cr,no intercooler,blow thru Dellortos(cause the factory turbo used them..and Lotus..)My motor was ,oh so schweeettt.....I put serious effort in to building it..
I ,very early on learned to disconnect the acc. pumps alltogether as it solved a big hiccup on accellration...I could,and this is almost unheard of,put my foot flat from pull off and this motor picked up and went without a moan...very strong off boost(about 20deg .timing..and then boost started building fast at 2700rpm...
Today I know the turbo was way too small,as the turbine housing and the full manifold was as red as the shuttles flame on take off...aah well,we learn...
On Dawies dyno she made 210 wheel hp.... 8)

I do rember trying to impress my girlfriends father at the time,bless his soul....I went up a few roads at an insane speed and stopped a few times...came up to a big intersection with a red light and promptly went straight on into a field....NO FRIGGIN BRAKES!!!They were cooked..

The airbox an stuff was copied from the factory setup...It quickly got changed for something other as the quest for MORE!!! went on...To give you an idea,giving a v8 something a hiding one day,change into 3rd gear and.nothing!...That black pipe from the filter to the turbo intake had sucked close....Told me the airfilter was a restriction...

ok,enough...
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

:roll:One more thing??

:D :D I had full Autodelta race suspension in her...Ally lower controll arms,hollow torsions,adjustable torsion bar x member,rear suspension as raced in S.A......The closest an Alfa came to the handling I had was when the SZ was made and came here......YEA!!! 8) 8)
matt
Platinum
Platinum

Post by matt »

:D oh boy i gotta get this engine finished

Thanks Barry
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Barry,
Ah, nice stuff!

So someone capable, make some of those cool suspension parts!!! - at an affordable price.
I think i had a commodore 64 computer too, you know the ones with a cassette that took 1/2 hour to load
Matt, me too. Oh, and I remember graduating from high school in Denmark in 1986 (all they played that summer was Sledge Hammer - Peter Gabriel).

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Jess,Post a pic of your Callaway,will you??

Matt,Looking at your car,I reitterate my piont--the best looking Gtv model still...so uncluttered...

Ill see if I can do a few more fuzzy pics if you want..
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Barry,

Are you sure it was 1986? Those BMW lights only came about in 1990 I think. Did you mean 1996?? Or do you mean your car was made in 1986?

In 1986 the car to beat then was the E30 320i JPS (John Player Special) I think.