Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

And as two of them have been 4 sale the last 5 years or so, I'm sure you can negotiate a bargin.

Or just buy the engine and.....
http://www.alfa75.info/id553.htm

Although it's not strong enough to pull your tank :twisted:
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Maybe-just maybe, when the 75 is all done with the 'good' 3liter I'll drive to the Ring with it. I'm really curious to see how it does there! Matter of fact, we're fixing on such a trip with two other Alfa freaks here. Lots of driving to get there and a long ferry ride from Grease :lol: to Venice. Total driving to and from is ~2500km + Ring kms (maybe 35-40 laps in a weekend ~800km) That would be a great crusade and something to talk about for a long time!
The trick would be to arrange to meet with more of you guys...seems that we can only count on Maurizio for granted (Ring being his back yard, lucky &%#*^#)
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

that would be for a nice meeting really, I can manage to get there no problem, the only thing is that I wouldn't have a car, given that I live about 17000km's away from the ring...I can still rent a moped and ride along :D
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

No moped, just call Ron Simons and arrange for a proper Ringmobile (special 75's)! :wink:
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

I was thinking about that after my post..actually went to Ron's web site..hehe..well..just put a date and i'll be there!
I'll probably take his 2 day or 3 day course I think it is next year on my vacations, should make for a nice trip excuse to the ring! :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Barry wrote:Mats,I beg to dis agree with you..Crash regulation forced the designers to add bigger more bulky pillars to the car to comply with the regs..This had a resultant knock on effect of bulkier and thicker pillars where it unwittingly obscured vision and added lots of weight to the shell.
Obviously this would be short term as youve indicated.Throw them a curve ball and they all come firing back.
They then look at the poblem and come up with the better mouse trap as VW did.I agree,things are evolutionising..and we might see ubber strong pillars of neglible size in the future...But that is the reason for the over weight bodies at present....

Look at any new or newish car and compare the weight with an older mode..
Alfetta gtv....1100 odd Kg.
Alfa 156 v6...1360 Kg

Race gtv6 here..746Kg
Race 156 here...1090Kg

The parity is there..

They only added cross section to the pillars, not more material. The added weight in modern cars comes from sound proofing and all the added features. The Saab 9-3 Sportsedan body weigh 400Kg and that is all regular steel like our old cars but if you are going to tell me that the GTV shell is 350Kgs lighter then the 156 shell I just have to call you mad... :D

My GTV weighs just under 900Kg and that has plastic hood and rear hatch. Is the 156 in the above example possibly built for a set of rules like the Supertouring or Super 2000? Does it possibly have about 20 meters more pipe in the roll cage and glass windows like in the rules I just mentioned? :lol:

Trust me, safety does not make the body heavier, maybe slightly but not more then 10-20Kg. The manufacturers spend HUGE amounts of time to keep the weight down and the body is one of the "easy" parts.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Comparing weights using race cars doesn't make any sence. It's all about the rules.

Mats is on the right track but his 10-20 kg is not measured on a calibrated scale. Already the doors (4 door car) with side protection weigh about 30 kg each nowadays. The impact areas do weigh something as well. Anyway it's not hundreds of kilos.

The sound insulation is darn heavy. As all the comfort shit. Just caount the number of electrical motors in a modern car.

BTW, I did weigh my GTj body some years ago. 210 kg. I didn't have the GTV empty enough for a comparison but it must be heavier.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

On a side note I lifted my 75 body (with some of the chassis still on there) down from the jack stands by hand... 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Yep, but them Vikings are BIG and STRONG. (you probably don't need a special tool to remove the cylinder head either :lol: )
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Micke, they got a tool for pulling heads up, but it only works when they're looking at a nice a$$, heheh :lol:
JK.