Anything that does not fit into other topics.

Should I buy a GTV6 as a daily driver?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 14

Chris71
Silver
Silver

Post by Chris71 »

Not a fan of 911's, would much prefer the 944's had an Audi badge.

If I was to be harsh I could say the same about the Montreal, but I suspect the truth is if I buy a 944 I will rapidly wish I'd bought a GTV, just because they're more fun. If I buy a GTV and the alfa reliability myths turn out to be true I'll rapidly wish I'd bought a 944 :)

Thing is, if I buy a 4 seat coupe/saloon it has to be capable of everyday use (hauling my mountain bike around for example). Not having folding rear seats on the GTV could turn out to be a major issue there. Don't know how big the boot is, maybe it'd be possible to fit the wheels in there and the frame on the back seat or soemthing.
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

:lol: decisions, decisions! If you can fit a montain bike in a GTV, you deserve a medal :lol: . boot space is slighty smaller than the 944's, ie not a great deal of use!

Just buy both, you know you want to :D
Chris71
Silver
Silver

Post by Chris71 »

That is the thing about the 944 - it has almost as much carrying space as my MG ZS (the Rover 45 based one!) and a hatchback, it really is phenomenally practical for a 'real' sportscar.

The alfa is just so, well, alfa though.

Argh, decisions! decisions! What I really want is a new 8C Competizione for daily use and a Bowler Wildcat or Audi RS4 estate to carry the bikes in :D
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Chris,years ago with my Alfetta GTV,I managed to load in the following for a holiday : my then girlfriend,her brother,my brother,a six man tent with old style poles and all our clothes sleeping bags food etc... :lol: Tent poles were carefully packed in the middle of the GTV with the two brothers sitting on most of the bedding.Distance travelled was over 500kms.It wasn't exactly the most comfortable drive I have ever done in an GTV but it can be done never the less. :lol:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

A friend of mine loaded a complete garden furniture set (think heavy wood) into his Saab 900, two chairs, a big table and a 3 seat rocking sofa :shock: . Same guy bought a 250cc dirtbike, rolled it into the back of the Saab and laid it on its side and closed the hatch and drove home. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

I drive mine daily about 9 months out of the year is Seattle.
The rest of the time I drive a Ford F150 pickup. What a slug! I usually can't wait to get back into the GTV6 once the (mild) winter is over.
I find it such a pleasure to drive something with a high fun factor, unique looks, and rarity. The thought of driving some lame econo car would be depressing.

I would keep in mind that any 20+ year old car will likely require a fair amount of attention before it reaches a good reliable state for commuting. So keep that in mind. After all the issues have been sorted, it will be quite reliable. Mine has been an excellent everyday car.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Chris71
Silver
Silver

Post by Chris71 »

Mats wrote:A friend of mine loaded a complete garden furniture set (think heavy wood) into his Saab 900, two chairs, a big table and a 3 seat rocking sofa :shock: . Same guy bought a 250cc dirtbike, rolled it into the back of the Saab and laid it on its side and closed the hatch and drove home. :)
If only they drove the correct set of wheels I might consider a 900 turbo :)

Thing is, realistically, a mountain bike can only have the wheels detatched taking it to and from the trails, you're left with a reasonably bulky lump, with forks going out in one direction, the rear swing arm going out in another, and the handlebars going out in the other axis. It's not so much that it's a large object, it's more that it requires space in all directions!! Doubt the GTV boot would accomodate one, but with a huge dust sheet, you might be able to get the frame sat on the rear seats? Hmmmm.

Possibly all a little irrelevant as I think I've seen something like 2 for sale in the Uk in the past year!
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

why mess up the back of any car that you decide on anyway?

why not just get a towbar fitted, and put the stuff in a small light trailer. You can still get GTV towbars, and Im sure you can get one for the 944 too.
Chris71
Silver
Silver

Post by Chris71 »

Due to unforseen circumstances I didn't get either in the end! Still thinking about a GTV6 in the spring though.

Can someone give me an idea of parts availability - what can't you get?

Secondly, can anyone recommend other good UK based clubs/forums for the Alfetta? I was browsing one owners club site, but it seems to be overwhelmingly biased towards the modern 156, 166 etc

I've recently inherited a 1.1 saxo - it's not especially exciting, but it does 45mpg, cheap tax and insurance and will hold two mountain bikes, plus some camping gear. AND SO...... I could run something like a GTV as a second car. Would still try and get a decent ammount of use out of it (occasional drive to work in the summer and some weekends away) but it wouldn't have to be an all weather commuter any more.