Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I agree on the equipment rules on the smog checks. I THINK there are 2 reasons for the equip check (visual) 1 is when the equip is out of adjustment many will have to take it to the dealer to fix instead of fixing it themselves (this from a former Ford dealer smog mechanic), and 2 to enforce a limited lifetime for the car...no parts, can't pass smog, car is off the road and owner has to buy another one.

All the various bits of emmissions equipment are installed for is to prolong the effects of a good tune up. The state/auto industry found that most folks didn't do the tune ups when they should, so the state mandated all this equipment to make it so you didn't have to do a tune up so often and the car would still run cleanly.

The sniffer stanards are fairly wide to begin with and got wider still when they went to the dyno smog check as none of the cars were designed to do anything other than pass a standing idle test.

scott
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Scott, I think you are right. The under hood inspection does limit the life of the car. I know af one guy who has a TR8 and can't get it inspected because of some unavailable part.

The under hood inspection also generates a lot of money for the state via the c.a.r.b. number requirement. If you make parts that are intended to be street legal in the People's Republic of California you must pay the state a ton of money for "testing" to prove it doesn't effect emissions. Last I heard, no aftermarket air intake ever failed the test. It would actually be hard to make an air intake that hurt emissions on a modern car, yet they continue to require the test and collect the money. Then if they find a non approved intake on a Honda they want to impound it. That's just crazy.

No logical argument can be made saying that the "emissions" inspections and enforcements in the P.R.C. are for the benefit of air quality. It's all about govt. revenue and control.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Logic and government.....kind of, no, just like military intelligence. They don't seem to go together.

scott
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Fernando. Sometimes the nice things about cars that are not too common is that you can actually tell a tech that that's how it came from the factory. Your car would look great going down highway 1.
Some smog tech's are just too much. My car once passed with a 0.00 reading. They had to redo the test because he couldn't believe it ran so clean. I love California but man Do I wish that certain smog rules were eliminated. The visual. Just like you guys mentioned.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

It would look good going down Highway 1,especially seeing as I would gain a free horsepower increase of around 16% being at sea level. :D

The way Barry has done my motor,you would be right in saying it would be able to fool an inexperienced techie into believing they all left the factory this way. :lol:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Weeeellll,,, Fernando, not so fast. See, hwy 1 is a little above sea level for much of it south of Monterey....1-200feet. You could be at sea level really quick though by going about 10 feet west...less in many spots :wall:

scott
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Scott compared to the over 5 500ft elevation of Johannesburg that's still plenty free horsepower to me... :lol:
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Hwy 1 is a really pretty road that is clogged with RVs on the weekend. It is fairly tight and twisty from Monterey/Carmel to Cambria (about 100 mi) and runs along cliffs and bluffs most of the way. If you were to blow a corner the sea would stop you. Runing that strech at night is a real blast with the moon up and the fog coming in :D :D :D
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Your description of the road is good.Sounds like it would be an absolute blast to drive under the circumstances you have just described.Nothing like a drive of that nature to make you feel alive and absolutely just loving life and GTV6's... :D
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

I'm surprised no australians have pitched in on this.

Here we have anti-hooning laws and all that. If you get caught 'street racing' you get your car impounded for a short time, 2nd offence its a few months, third offense they take the car and sell it at police auctions.

Cops here are harsh against street racers, and jap cars, anything that is riced or loud. But they dont care about me ;)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

But they dont care about me

..talk about skid marks...
Attachments
Blown My Cover.jpg
Blown My Cover.jpg (32.98 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

LOLZ, that's an awesome picture.

Street racing is retarded. I've been to the "runs". It's a bunch of riced cars waiting around in parking lots and hitting the big streets once in a while to run. Once in a while an interesting car will come out, but it's mostly riced CRX's and Accords, and anything else Honda save the CR-V.

Then the interesting part comes. When the cops come to break it up, everyone runs to their race cars and tries to escape. This is the dangerous part. In the heat of the moment, I saw all kinds of people almost get into minor collisions just trying to leave the parking lot. "Escaping" was just as bad, many near collisions.

The worse part however was that instead of going home and calling it a night, they just relocated to another location and started the runs again. So, I don't think they were really into the racing, but more the adrenalin rush of trying to escape the cops in mass hordes. The cops are really strict too, if they catch someone racing in California, they impound the car ($1000 typically to get it back) and suspend your license. Pretty dumb, I never went again.

I can understand why the police are cracking down on street racers. But recently a county banned drifters from holding events at a small track (Altamont in Tracy, CA). I think the local drifters are going to take to the streets instead! Also, Police in California have binders with pictures of illegal engine swaps in the trunk. They pull over CRX's with B18's or SR20DET's in 240sx's, pull out the binder, and the kids get F#($!&. Impounded right on the spot.

California is insane, I even got my hood popped on my Verde. I had an ebay cone air intake (so I could hear the engine with stock exhaust, and for the extra +19 horsepower of course) and had to get my engine state refereed (spl).

I agree with Zamani, if the cars pass the sniffer test, what's the big deal??
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Grant street racing is such a contentious issue even on our side of the pond.Luckily our cops aren't to bothered with pulling cars off with modifications done to them....yet. :(

I cannot cast stones at the street racing brigade though as I am guilty of doing the TLGP on numerous occasions. :wink: My latest one being with a BMW 130i...

I won't participate in the illegal street drag gathering's though,for reason's I have posted before.Often in SA alcholol plays a big part with this crowd.Now I am of the school that says booze and fast cars are a major no no.I have seen to many horrid accidents where booze has been the main cause. :cry:

By and large I now prefer track day events and going for drives into the country.As the title of my favourite motoring publication EVO says 'For the Thrill of Driving.' :D