Anything that does not fit into other topics.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Thanks, learn something new every day, as they say.

You can see them pretty clearly in the shop manual diagrams. Unless the actual cars just had bushes, I'm pretty sure the SZ had heims.

There's a ball joint at the front of the dedion...why not everywhere else then??

On my AE86, I have heim's on both ends of my pan-hard rod, and it transmits very little road noise. It might be OK on a Milano too, but I would put a poly on the chassis mounts of the watt's linkage, and heim joints at the actual watt's pivot. I think I'd be able to get no groaning from twisting poly bushes (annoying in my car), and less noise transmitted to the cabin than heims mounted to the chassis pick ups.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

Duk wrote:Cheers Grant, top stuff :D
Are those spring rates pound/inch, kilograms/millimetre or kilograms/centimeter?
It looks like there are mounting points for outboard calipers on the rear axle :?
No rear AR bar for the SZ/RZ? A result of being shorter?
The rear axle looks more sturdy than standard, obviously to handle the coil over spring arangement, but how about the shock mountings in the chassis?
Thinking about how to apply similar methods to my road going 75.......... :wink:
I think we are all trying to ape the SZ arrangement, save for those that have gone even further!

I edited my post to include lb/inch.

I don't really see the LCA mods your seeing as far as caster goes. You can notice that the upper control arm is larger, beefier piece. Those that have mounted RSR coilovers know that it is impossible to mount a coilover that big in an un-modified UCA. Don't forget that the SZ also had 3.9 final drive, and a transmission cooler. I also read on a website that the internals were slightly ported and polished on the engine.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

Maybe it's an optical illusion, but when looking at the drawing of the front suspension, it looks as if the 2 arms of the lower control arms are at different angles to regular Alfa LCAs.
To me it looks like the arm closest to the front is almost 90 degrees to the chassis rail. If it is, then that's almost opposite to the standard LCA arrangement.
Like I said, maybe an optical illusion :?