Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Ron Simons' week in Athens.

Post by Jim K »

Tomorrow morning I'm taking Ron to the airport; he flies home after what I think was a very exciting week with the Alfa and Lancia perverts here. We had two track days, Thursday and today both blessed with excellent weather, mostly sunny with temps around 14-20*C. Today was more special as the Integrale guys were there and we managed to have some good wheel-to-wheel battles where my heavy 75 proudly held its own against cars with 300hp+. The highlight of the day was when one Integrale owner brought his recently aqcuired (from Italy) 75 GpA 3liter racecar...with a 24v engine!!! All red of course, cambered to hell all around, side-exit exhaust, alloy A-arms, tubular swaybar, Colotti box with cooler and inboard 4pots, Haltech efi, 17" OZ racing centerlock wheels, Michelin...+...+...+ The thing weighs 1000kg and has ??hp. Ron drove it for a few fast laps and really gave the fat slicks a tough time!
He also did several laps with my 1.8T and 3liter cars. On Thursday, he drove an Alfetta gtv 2liter Historics racer, also ex GpA car recently imported and having his full RSRacing suspension package.
On my part, I had a great time severely testing the reliability of my new engine and general car performance against other serious track users like Integrale (~300hp) , Mitsu evo (~300hp), Peugeot 205 (188 dyno hp!)and many others. Severely testing means doing more than 60 laps all-out per day (=140km all within 3hrs, grouped in 15-20 lap stints)), shifting at 6900 all the time. 8 shifts per lap using 2nd and 3rd gears (with 1.8T box). Max speed at end of straight is ~162kph. The 205/50-16 BS 540S tires are unfortunately proving too thin for the weight but since this is my everyday car (and look the part) I can do nothing more. Good news for the brakes, no more warped discs, the Wilwood 48-vane HD's are great performers when clamped by Brembo Reds with DS2500 pads and RBF600 fluid, NO disc wear!
As for power, I will post the dyno sheets after I also dyno a std 3liter car so we will all have a valid reference point. Suffice it to say I'm very satisfied with the outcome, noting the engine has stock Motronic (S) cams. It now has almost 3000km on its back and it really is too early to measure power but work can't wait! Now, if I only had my special cams I would put them in and dyno again but....someone is giving us all a hard time here! :roll: C'mon, I want to put the 24v in there!...
All in all it was a very entetaining week for Ron and all of us. He made his presentations to the Alfa and Lancia clubs, covering all aspects of handling, suspension setups, 75experience etc. During our leisure bumming around time, we talked cars and drooled at great pairs of....whatever walked by, assigning grades according to universal rules in this nice weather...! We'll see him again in May in his home court...the 'Ring! :D
Jim K.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

wow, awesome, any pictures or videos of the event Jim?? when are you guys planning to go to the ring again next year? I might join you... 8)
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

There was some guy from the Lancia club taking pics of everything there, I'll try to find him and get some.
We plan for the Ring in May, probably the first weekend.
Jim K.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Oooh May, that is tempting.
75 GTA
Gold
Gold

Post by 75 GTA »

How about making May the month for a GTV6 meeting at the ring ?
75 TS Road specs
75 TS Gr N
146 TS
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Re: Ron Simons' week in Athens.

Post by TS_turbo »

JimGreek wrote:The highlight of the day was when one Integrale owner brought his recently aqcuired (from Italy) 75 GpA 3liter racecar...with a 24v engine!!! All red of course, cambered to hell all around, side-exit exhaust, alloy A-arms, tubular swaybar, Colotti box with cooler and inboard 4pots, Haltech efi, 17" OZ racing centerlock wheels, Michelin...+...+...+
maaan we need detailed pics of that thing :twisted:
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

JimGreek wrote:There was some guy from the Lancia club taking pics of everything there, I'll try to find him and get some.
We plan for the Ring in May, probably the first weekend.
Jim K.
Cool Jim, I was planning my vacations in may so I might join you guys over there!
rz
Platinum
Platinum

Post by rz »

me too !drove with ron some years ago.i go there every year with a different car to see the enormous difference between cars.
i had a lotus elise and it drove super, untill some vw golf type 1 passed me and the 911 with wich i was racing, after the curve the golf was already gone.....poor me
Last edited by rz on Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maurizio
Verde
Verde

Post by Maurizio »

8) We will see in May.
New house in May/June 07, with alot of space for a nice garage!
Depending on work and what's left of my budget, I'll have a year ticket in 07 or not. Plan to be there for the meet anyway.

Prices are out since yesterday 12.5% up for the year ticket :evil:

:lol: was the co-driver of RZ @ Ron's course a few years ago, got me completely hooked on the N'ring......
Banned.. ? ;-) Daily donky.. ==> BMW 325d Image
E36M3 (3.0) Ringtool :twisted: ==> definitely BANNED!

AR 75 TS Ringtool '90, AR Spider 2000 veloce '79
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Excellent. I said it before, make it the first week otherwise I'm busy on local tracks. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Wanted~sponsors for race enthusiast to join geriatrics get together at the Ring~all donations greatly appreciated.. :D :D :D :D

Ah Jim,exchange rate NOT in my favour here.. :cry:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I'm sorry too JK, I am too busy. I gotta get another 3 tons of roo poo over to SA pronto. Bazza has found a new differential quieting formula. Times are tough. With all the drought we have been having and the roo shooters culling the numbers down, I am lucky to find one 'roo that's got somethin' to put in the bucket. 8)

What's worse is I know you're heartboken but to make up for it, I could send a few packets over to ya but I am afraid you'd be inclined to smoke it. :wink:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Here we go again with the "money talks, BS walks" excuses...come on Barry, how come the exchange rate is always against you, but we're the ones feeling the financial crunch here in Europe?? Ever since the Euro was introduced, prices have gone up 1 million %!!!! No gov't has done anything about it and everybody in Europe is bitching about the sharp increase of cost of living! So you're not alone in this, we have to scrounge for the ~850-900Euros for the whole trip.
As for our Aboriginal cangaroo-humping aussie friend, he's excused as a Ring trip from Aussieland must understandably cost a crazy bundle of money!
Jim K.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Datum: Freitag, 4.05.2007 von 17:15 Uhr bis 19:30 Uhr

Datum: Samstag, 5.05.2007 von 17:30 Uhr bis 19:30 Uhr

Datum: Sonntag, 6.05.2007 von 8:00 Uhr bis 19:30 Uhr

Datum: Montag, 7.05.2007 von 17:15 Uhr bis 19:30 Uhr

YES! :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

Ok Mats, that's half the battle, the rest being good weather!
Jim K.
Last edited by Jim K on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.