Anything that does not fit into other topics.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

156 GTA

Post by bteoh »

This is slightly off topic but has anyone ever driven a 2002/2003 156 GTA? I was just wondering what it's like to drive and whether it's worthwhile getting one. Is torque steer a problem with 184kw driving the front wheels?
Although the GTV6 is almost 20-25 years old, around the track, would the 156 GTA lap consistently faster? Appreciate any feedback
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Brian,

The GTA is a very nice car. I would get it if I were you. I picked it up in Subang Jaya and drove it to Ipoh, and it was a fantastic drive I tells ya. It's me mom's car though, so I didn't drive it everyday, but she did ask me to go to the shop and put on new tires (Toyo T1-S) and do the alignment. I don't think torque steer is much of an issue since it does have traction control. On the track I don't think it will beat a prepped GTV6 24V though. But we're talking about a road car here right? If so, GET IT!!!

BTW, apparently if I move back to M'sia I can get 2 free APs hehe. If I move back....hmm when will that be.... I would definitely get the GTA with the 330mm brakes, not the early GTAs with 305mm brakes. My mom's car is an '04 with the 305mm brakes.

Haiya sui laaa itu GTA !!!
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Zamani,

Didn't realise production continued till 04 with the 156 GTA. I thought it was only from 2002-03. Also didn't realise later GTA's came with 330mm discs. Could it be production stopped for the 156 GTA and continued with the 147 GTA with larger brakes?
Secondhand values have dropped dramatically for the 156 GTA and comparing it to the new 159, which car do you think is better? The 156 GTA or 159 JTD or 2.2 JTS? The equivalent 159 V6 3.2 Q4 is almost AUS$90k so not a price comparison with the 2003 156 GTA.
bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Post by bteoh »

Hey Zamani,

Didn't realise production continued till 04 with the 156 GTA. I thought it was only from 2002-03. Also didn't realise later GTA's came with 330mm discs. Could it be production stopped for the 156 GTA and continued with the 147 GTA with larger brakes?
Secondhand values have dropped dramatically for the 156 GTA and comparing it to the new 159, which car do you think is better? The 156 GTA or 159 JTD or 2.2 JTS? The equivalent 159 V6 3.2 Q4 is almost AUS$90k so not a price comparison with the 2003 156 GTA.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Forget the 159, those cars are big and heavy. The GTA is the car to get.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

They are gorgeous arent they? Love those wheels, and the understatement, and Vicky Butler Henderson Back-off oversteering the thing in the top gear video!
Fixing it bit by bit....
fastcar
Gold
Gold

Post by fastcar »

Hi guys!

Fortunatley I have some experience with that! :)
Zamani has right, it possible to get a car with the uprated brake system which were introduced a few months after the release of the 147 GTA.

Torque steer not an issue compared to other brands similarly powered units (e.g. Saab 9-3 Viggen) even without traction control.
What I read in the tests and what I experienced are the follows:
Test says, it is quite slow on track if we look at the HP numbers. My feeling is, that if You are not a racer just a driver it let you quite far without the feeling it is too much. So let you drive fast. If you are a racer you will come shortly to the end of its abilities.
When I first drive it on a well known twisty road I was able to drive as fast as I was able that time with my 3-liter 12V GTV.
Last October I was on the Hungaroring on a trackday with my GTA engined GTV (yet with the stock suspension and Ate brakes - during these days I make the upgrade to a 4-pot AP-Racing one with 310 discs :) ). I was 5 sec slower than my friend in his 156 GTA. OK he knows better the track than me, but he gets the advantage of his short brake distances. So he was able to accelerate longer and spend less time to slow down.
But You have to know, it's not designed to always push hard. All parts shows the wear quickly. Even the brake-discs can be killed on a trackday.

The 159 is a great handling car with even better brakes than the 156, but the 2.2JTS engine is a shame (last February I tested one for 1000 kms for our Alfa magazine). They said it produces 185 hp, but you feel as a 140. The feeling is less than 164 TS even the figures are better. But if you compare with a 3.0 12V 164, than nothing to say. Its consumption is 16l compared to the 12 of 164 with the same dynamic. The reaction of the accelerator is terrible. You have to learn how to drive the car and when you have to push the pedal in advance.
The 3.2 liter one is a fully second slower to 100 km/h than the 156 GTA.
The 159s are so heavy they could not be a driver's car at all. But they suspension is much better than the 156. They handle on bad surface roads better and you don't have to replace them in every 3-40T kms.