Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Illegal Street Drags.

Post by Fernando »

Just found this article about the new method of punishing guys who partake in illegal drag racing in Socal... :shock: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19339955/

I don't feel I can throw stones at them because I,and I am pretty darn sure most guy's on this forum,have done illegal drag racing at some time or the other. :wink:

The part I can never condone is if any of these blokes knowingly used stolen parts in there cars,then my heart does not bleed for them at all. :evil:

The part about using stolen parts sounds a lot like what happened here in South Africa a few years ago in our local VW racing series.Certain 'competitors' were found to be using stolen cars for there racing. :evil:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Obviosly, anyone endagering the public should be punished, but this may be going to far. Like any other illegal activity there are levels of severity. There is a big difference between a friendly drag race between two knowing participants in an area where there is no chance of any other cars or pedestrians to show up and racing in traffic at insane speeds. In the first case there is no danger to the public. In the second there is.

I find a couple things disconcerting regarding the current trends of car crushing. According to this article, the People's Republic of California seems to be ignoring the "guilty until proven innocent" rule in determining what parts are "stolen".

This idea of crushing cars that engage in "street racing" could be expanded. For example the District attorney in Ontario is trying to crush cars that MIGHT be used for street racing. That would suck to get pulled over there when you are doing nothing wrong and end up getting your car crushed because some law enforcement officer decides you car is "modified for street racing".
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Greg we can only hope there are still some sane people left in goverment and that this whole idea get's scrapped soon.

I have family that lives in California and when I mentioned this to my uncle he too thought it was ludicrous to crush a bunch of kid's cars.My cousin drives a 951 with 4 inch straight through pipes with the origional kept in the garage for when it is time to do the old smog test. :lol:

I just reckon motorist's and particularly those of us who are enthusiast's,are just becoming more and more of a soft target to generate revenue.In the case of crushing cars I would imagine it would be an effort in trying to hoodwink voters into thinking that law enforcement actually trys to work for a living. :evil:
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

If there is an illegal drag race or one the cops say 'OK' to, you won't find me standing anywhere near the 'track' like those people killed a few weeks ago in USA

Or getting dirt sprayed on myself at some rally U-turn .....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I live in Fresno. Ca, about 4 hours drive from San Bernadino/Riverside where this took place.

The kids that are drag racing now are doing some really stupid stuff.....just plain dumb and people (bystanders and participants) are getting hurt or killed. The rest of the folks in the area are shocked and want "something" done. So, as has been happening here, the draconian approach has been used.

I read that these kids had stolen parts in their cars that had been "modified for racing". the police are pulling these cars over for how they look or sound and then going under the hood and impounding them for racing modifications. The cops don't know anything about engines on sight...hell they don't even know how to shoot and clean their guns, but if they see some bling or a non stock airfilter they go haul off the car.

The whole thing pisses me off...the kids for being stupid and the cops for being thugs.

scott
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

:shock: whoa, hang ona minute!!, I thaught you guys had a constitution!!

we have gustapo type policing of the motorist in europe too, the worst in the world in fact, but there is no way they would get away with that!, european court of human rights would have a total field day with that!

In the sue culture of US, that is amazing that they have got away with it. all this incourages is more theft to replace crushed cars!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I have been pondering a move to San Francisco California for a while now. The reason I have not done it is because I dont want to deal with having my car there. If you want to be an enthusiast in Cali, you need to have a pre 72 model in order to be emissions exempt.

I am afraid to go there, even though my (non original) engine/exhaust is currently unmodified. I have heard too many stories to be comfortable. The police would turn a regular traffic stop into an inquistion at the sight of my hood pins.

whoa, hang ona minute!!, I thaught you guys had a constitution!!
Our constitution is going the way of Mexico´s. Lots of nice stuff in there, but the government no longer interperets it literally.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Let me drop my 2 cents. In cali, In order to be smog exempt. I believe your car has to be 74 and older. Might be 75 as of this year. Don't expect that to change. They are thingking of even smoging older cars now. In the SF bay area. Some cans are driving behind you and doing the sniffer test. If your car looks to be modified. Example many hondas (imports) and mustangs(domestics) are the most commonly pulled over cars. If you are pulled over. You have 30 days to put your car back to stock. If not. Your car will be crushed.
That's one of the main reasons a friend of mine sold his modified car. He was at about 800 hp. Not including nitrous. He had about $100k into the car. One of the nice things about his car was the sleeper factor. The car is now out of the state of Cali and where someone can actually enjoy their car.
Yes there are many guys doing dumb stuff out there. Others are still doing it but more low key. In the middle of nowhere or in industrial parks very late at night.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

you guys should move to Michigan...8 months of winter and crappyweather...but NO smog check...NO state inspections....just pay registration and insurance and off you go
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

twinspark6,

I know that San Mateo is really cracking down on ... on something. They just pull over modified looking cars. Target is of course jap cars with big exhaust. I was thinking of an EVO kit, but the way things are going, I'm even risking it by running 17"s on a lowered Milano. I guess I'll stick with the euro bumpers and the tiny exhaust in the back except that I will now add the electronic exhaust diverter valve.
twinspark6
Gold
Gold

Post by twinspark6 »

Yes Zamani. San Mateo and specially Daly City. Most of the time the euro cars are overlooked. Jap cars and camaro's and mustangs are the target. I don't even take my truck out too much since I have been running without a cat for a while now.
Smog laws are the main reasons I sold off almost all of my performance upgrade in my syclone. It would pass but the visible would have killed me.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

The newest non smog year is 1975 and has been so for the last2-3 years.

I think the heavy handed tactics are money driven too....big fines for those that are caught. Another thing is that the street drag crowd is an easy target with no big money lawers to defend them. Also driving at all is considered a priviledge here.

Scott
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

The smog thing is a scam. I'm all for smog checks, but please, why the hell do I have to keep it all stock?? I hate to smell fumes from clunkers or poorly tuned cars. Just make the car pass the sniffer test and do away with the visual crap.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I hate to smell fumes from clunkers or poorly tuned cars. Just make the car pass the sniffer test and do away with the visual crap.
I feel the same way. I think I would fail visual tests for my ARC or simply the fact that there are things obviously missing from my engine compartment. At least my friend who lives in SF says I would have problems.

I also understand that it is very difficult to have a car in California that is registered in another state. If I were to move out there, I guess I would have to retire the Milano for a while...
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

I wouldn't even bother shipping my GTV6 to California after reading all these replies. :shock:

Our local street racers also get up to some really dumb stuff at times,hence my own refusal to attend such events.I far prefer having track days and 1/4 mile events hosted by legitimate motor sport facilities now.

The last time I attended an illegal event was years ago but it was what I winessed there that prompted me to never attend one again.You guys know the usual scene people and cars lined up most of the way in an industrial area.As for me,I always chose to stand as far away and back from the action as I could and close to where they start.Anyway two Opel Kadett Superbosses line up and shoot off on their race.Lo and behold at the end of the strip a bunch of drunk 'spectators' drive right in front of one of the Opels resulting in a massive accident that by some miracle didn't result in injuries. :shock: Next thing the guy whose Opel got smashed by these idiots pulls out a handgun.Then and there my friends and I took leave very rapidly. :wink: