Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

24hours of Lemons

Post by Zamani »

Hey Guys,

I was among the many drivers who drove the Milano 75 2.5 (with 3.55 diff) and a 115 GTV at this event. Some pics here

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=44814

Drove for 2 hours on Sat and 1 hour on Sun. It was HOT.

www.24hoursoflemons.com

Results:

We're Fritos Banditos Dos (no 20). Alfetta GT 2.0 came in 6th!!! I think the problem was we had too many driver change. Otherwise the 75 was very reliable. No problems, just ran and ran. Everyone in the team was impressed. Next year the plan is to run 1 or 2 Milanos with stock 4.10 gearbox. That should make us more competitive. The 3.55 made the 2.5 slow out of sharp turns, but the advantage was less shifting.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/newResults.jsp?id=585927
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Hey,nice one Zman!! Its a lot of fun and really brings reality back as to your fitness and ability,huh?

In the 70s here we had a series called the Rand Daily Mail 9hour endurance at Kyalami..
A couple of us are trying to revive the spirit of the old 9 hour,but for Alfa`s at this stage..
Its really going to be a lot of fun,from full racers to street cars..performance of index grading as well so everyone who wants to take part,can..

Kevin????????? :roll:
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Holy Rollers?? :lol:

Absolute classic.

We're the "Pin pals" there too? :D
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Here, have a look at some of the cars:

http://web.mac.com/ddunwood/iWeb/Site/2 ... Page2.html

There was a old merc with biodiesel "Canola Rolla'z". Lots of cheaters though, it was supposed to be a race for $500 cars. Some entered with stripped down late 90's Subarus, a Volvo 850 Turbo, E34 535i!!! Bugger the $500 I guess. But our cars were $500 cars, a rusty 115 GTV which went through 6 fuel pump due to bad exhaust routing, a stock 75, and a beat up Lincoln.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So why didn't you buy the Subaru after the race for $500? Or isn't that part of the rules? That way it would be easier to control the value of the cars IMO.
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Not part of the rules Mats. And I doubt the cheaters would sell their cars. But who knows. What some teams did was to find expensive cars, strip it down and say "see this thing has nothing in it, $500".

Last year, I heard cheating was very blatant. A team drove a Cadillac, one with a North Star V8 and claimed it was bought at a "special deal". This year it was less blatant. But still, a 1998 Subaru Outback for $500 with straight body and fast motor???
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Your alfetta definitely won the prize for looks based on the photos I saw.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

What Alfetta? We didn't drive an Alfetta, another team did. That Alfetta came in 6th out of 84 cars though, pretty fantastic right? That's more in the spirit of a $500 car. They key thing for this type of races is no mechanical issues and minimal driver changes. Ideally one driver drives for 2 hours in 100F heat, then swap places.

Our Milano/75 came in 20th. Too many driver changes. If we cut down driver changes we could have easily gotten in the top 15. Also one of the problem was the gearing was not optimal. 3.55 with the 2.5 made for slow acceleration out of corners.

In total there were 4 Alfas. Alfetta GT, Spider which was fast with one of the team's driver, a Milano/75 (ours) and an old rickety $250 115 GTV (ours).
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

That's the problem with the rules, it shouldn't be "what you bought it for" it should be "what you will be forced to sell i for".
We have races like that here in sweden and believe me, they do not sell for more then $500. :)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mats,

That is a good idea.
nizam
Silver
Silver

Post by nizam »

Here are some pics from our cameras. I was one of the co-drivers of the Milano/75:

http://www.cdglobal.net/nizam/lemons200 ... 007-4.html

It was a great time. What we realized was; with the more experienced drivers, the cars came back with fewer (if any) new dents, but we'd pick up some positions. With our "I'm just here for the experience" drivers, the car would come back with gashes and bent panels (or missing bumper).

After a few laps you figure out who's consistent (and at the same level as you) and you can "trust" them going side by side into hairpins without any contact. The winning team had a Dodge Neon and had driver changes every couple of hours. Their car had the fewest dents of anything out there. They were focused!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

a reliable 505? That's unpossible. ;)
Mats Strandberg
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Great idea.Cannot get cheaper motorsport than that. :lol: Welldone guys on flying the Alfa flag.

Man I cannot beleive someone could do that to a Spider though... :shock:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen